Sign in to follow this  
Jerrykerry

There is a possibility....

If we already have a £20m "hole", I would suggest that playing in front of a empty stadium, that is going to increase so the club will sell a couple of our better players. I really hope it is not Emi but being as his stats were best last season.....

• Like 1

We maybe do Not need the money from a big sale to survive but i think we need the money to progress 

if we got 30/40 million in then they could let the club buy more players with potential 

Self funded we need to buy to then sell on , We need cash to find the next Maddison , Aarons , lewis 

The more we spend the more we should earn over the next few seasons 

The conveyor belt needs to keep moving 

Also a lot of the players we have signed i expect have moved here to play not be in reserves so there must be some leave 

Edited by norfolkngood

Yes the one in one out issue is probably more important for our model right now than the funds. Still if we could keep three out of five of our young English prospects I’d be very happy. 

I'd be curious to know how much revenue this will generate as opposed to match ticket sales..

.https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/12471256/efl-sky-sports-deal-fans-stream-games-next-season-3pm-kick-offs/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=sunfootballfacebook220820&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1598105643

Could plug a hole or two financially and we might put us under even less pressure to sell.....

Edited by grababackpackcanary

I think it is highly unlikely that at least one or two of the most prized assets of Cantwell, Buendia, Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis won't be gone by the end of the transfer window.

One has to remember that the transfer window is open until October 5th for all international transfers and then from the 5th until the 16th October it remains open but only for domestic transfers.

As we know, transfers often happen in cascades where a player for a lower league premier league side is coveted and then signed by one higher up and challenging for a place in the top 6 somewhere. Sometimes one of the big clubs will sell one of their fading stars abroad and that sets off the merry-go-round.

Chilwell is a good example. Leicester wouldn't look twice at the rumoured bid of £50million. Especially when they know that someone like Lewis is available for less than £20million which would still leave them with change to get another player for the same position and let them duke it out over the season.

But due to the way the transfer window is set up, it could be that a lot of the domestic movement doesn't happen until after the international window has closed and that option is no longer available.

I suspect that we'll be left with Cantwell and possibly Aarons. Anyone else in addition to those will be a bit of a bonus really. 

On 23/08/2020 at 12:06, norfolkngood said:

The conveyor belt needs to keep moving 

Also a lot of the players we have signed i expect have moved here to play not be in reserves so there must be some leave 

Which is why the likes of Stiepermann and Vrancic may be surplus and struggling for selection when we get going.

Wonder how much work is already going on to offload Trybull, Leitner and Drmic?

Hope it’s no more than one of our finest that go!

On 22/08/2020 at 19:12, Indy said:

I’d keep Stiepermann, Rupp definitely as we still need experienced players too. Don’t mind to see the rest go including McClean and Vrancic.

Vrancic, really?????

3 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Vrancic, really?????

Yes why? We have Skipp, Dowell, Tettey, Sorensen to cover Vrancic.

On 22/08/2020 at 20:19, keelansgrandad said:

I think, despite the assertion that we don't have to sell, we will be happy to sell a couple.

Despite our success two seasons ago, we lost a large amount of money. And despite the parachute payments, we have a large squad taking wages.

You can never have too much money. Just before lockdown, it was strongly rumoured that 5 Championship were in danger of points deductions. Wigan have been sentenced. But four more would mean a fifth of the division in possible financial ruin.

As much as I would love to see them all stay, I think would make sense to cash in on a couple.

Agreed - it is inevitable that several will move and I would be surprised if one or two deals have not already been settled.

It looks like Arsenal are losing two wing backs if reports are to be believed, so might be casting an eye on Aarons, as posted elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Yes why? We have Skipp, Dowell, Tettey, Sorensen to cover Vrancic.

Well I would remove Tettey from the list immediately both because he is a key player for us in a different role in which he excels and because he can't provide either the creative passing, shooting or dead balls skills that Vrancic offers - they are completely different players and neither is cover for the other.

The new signings we will have to wait and see but I will be (pleasantly) surprised if they can immediately match Vrancic either. At the moment IMO Vrancic offers a combination of skills which no other one player in the squad does - with the possible exception of Leitner who everyone seems convinced is on his way already.

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Well I would remove Tettey from the list immediately both because he is a key player for us in a different role in which he excels and because he can't provide either the creative passing, shooting or dead balls skills that Vrancic offers - they are completely different players and neither is cover for the other.

The new signings we will have to wait and see but I will be (pleasantly) surprised if they can immediately match Vrancic either. At the moment IMO Vrancic offers a combination of skills which no other one player in the squad does - with the possible exception of Leitner who everyone seems convinced is on his way already.

I’m not arguing, I like Vrancic, but I’m saying you only have space for two CM, Vrancic hasn’t been used as a number 10, that’s been Stiepermann or Cantwell or another, now we have more options I can’t see Vrancic staying, he didn’t get much game time last year and there’s younger players here now in Dowell, Skipp, Sorensen who will probably be ahead of him.

59 minutes ago, Indy said:

I’m not arguing, I like Vrancic, but I’m saying you only have space for two CM, Vrancic hasn’t been used as a number 10, that’s been Stiepermann or Cantwell or another, now we have more options I can’t see Vrancic staying, he didn’t get much game time last year and there’s younger players here now in Dowell, Skipp, Sorensen who will probably be ahead of him.

I got the impression from your original post that you weren't bothered about Vrancic but perhaps I misinterpreted it somewhat.

I also like Vrancic (a lot) and whilst I've got enough confidence in Farke's judgement to not criticise his selections, I was very puzzled as to why Vrancic didn't start/come on from the bench a number of times last season in games in which I felt we really needed him more than those actually selected.

Anyway whatever the reason, the fact that he didn't get anywhere near as much game time as expected probably means that in practice you are right and that in Farke's eyes some of the new guys are ahead of him. But I think he'll be a big loss and whilst I hope that Webber and Farke have done some more inspired recruitment I'm going to take some convincing that letting Vrancic go is a good move, if that is indeed what happens.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic, but an indication of where football is at throughout Europe. I live in Belgium and Le Soir were saying that there was a €44 million euro loss for Belgian top division clubs between March and June. The problem for Norwich is that this practically makes everyone a selling club across multiple divisions throughout Europe. To take a high profile example, Tagliafico would probably be beyond Leicester, both in price, wages and probably status in a normal year. However he may find no other moves are open for him and Ajax may need to sell because they will also have a hole. Usually they would be after Lewis as more in their range and with potential to develop. The very few clubs around Europe with money in the bank are going to be in an insanely strong position to negotiate and everyone else will be desperate to offload players. 

Only the big 5 at Norwich will attract any fees in my honest opinion and those fees will be below what we expected in January,  anything else is likely to be a 'take them off our hands" type situation.

With regard to our recent purchases, the three options are a) we have stuff lined up for our excess players andd my analysis is well off (possible, but as footballs a marketplace and half the leagues are in financially difficult, then it stands to reason that Europe wide supply will exceed demand this year), b) we know that we will have to either pay players to leave or best case scenario, wont get much for them, but also have the money to absorb that loss or c) norwich have completely misjudged the marketplace and have tried to do business early without realising we can't offload.

I choose to believe it's A or B, but that's cos I try to be optimistic.

On 23/08/2020 at 10:31, Kenny Foggo said:

If we already have a £20m "hole", I would suggest that playing in front of a empty stadium, that is going to increase so the club will sell a couple of our better players. I really hope it is not Emi but being as his stats were best last season.....

Only in some areas and depending upon how you look at them.

It was mainly the "chances created" that was hyped up. After a quick look about the net I found this defenition.

"The final pass or pass before a shot leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal."

This literally means, therefore, that the chance doesn't have to be good, or that the pass was even intended to be one that led to a shot.

For example, if you have ever played Sunday League football and there is that one player who always thinks they are the muts nuts and can score from anywhere and proceeds to shoot from any distance almost with every other received ball from anywhere in the opponents half, then your team will suddenly become one of the best "chance creators" in the league.

What does that stat really say? Not a lot really, lets be honest. Assists tell us more, but they don't tell the whole picture either.

I like Buendia, and he really is a good player. I just can't help but blurt out my inner Nigel Worthington with frustration at times when he does all sorts of fancy stuff in our own half which can lead to us losing the ball. (For those that don't know Worthington stated that Marc Libra was a fantastic player but needed to save the frills and tricks for the final third and not our half of the pitch).

I do wonder if that's why, albeit only a reflection on paper rumours etc, Cantwell appears to be a more attractive prospect. Though possibly being homegrown has something to do with it too.

On 25/08/2020 at 20:33, 1902 said:

Only the big 5 at Norwich will attract any fees in my honest opinion and those fees will be below what we expected in January,  anything else is likely to be a 'take them off our hands" type situation.

Interestingly some journalists have suggested that makes us quite an attractive prospect. Where other teams and clubs may be asking £25-30million for players. We know that offers of around £10-15million could land Lewis. Others more around the £20million+. Which in this climate is still cheap for homegrown players.

Even players from abroad tend to cost the premier league more owing to the fact that they know how much money the premier league clubs get. 

On 25/08/2020 at 16:33, Indy said:

Dowell is an AM. He can play as a 10 or on either wing. He's not for the CM birth.

We currently have McLean, Tettey, Vrancic, Sorensen, Sitti, Rupp and Skipp that can play CM or CDM/holding midfield, depending upon the role they are asked to play. This is Tettey's last season, he's retiring at the end of it. I suspect that he will either play bit part or will be phased in and out as need for experience is required etc. Hopefully he can help hand over the torch so to speak. Either way, as much as it pains to say it, we will not be planning for the future with him in the side.

From what I can see, on paper at least, Sitti is the successor to Tettey, so we'll have to see how that goes.

Vrancic is out of contract at the end of this coming season. As much as I like him, he'll be 32 come May 2021. Knowing that we focus on youth, unless he has a standout campaign, I can see him moving on then as well.

8 hours ago, chicken said:

Dowell is an AM. He can play as a 10 or on either wing. He's not for the CM birth.

We currently have McLean, Tettey, Vrancic, Sorensen, Sitti, Rupp and Skipp that can play CM or CDM/holding midfield, depending upon the role they are asked to play. This is Tettey's last season, he's retiring at the end of it. I suspect that he will either play bit part or will be phased in and out as need for experience is required etc. Hopefully he can help hand over the torch so to speak. Either way, as much as it pains to say it, we will not be planning for the future with him in the side.

From what I can see, on paper at least, Sitti is the successor to Tettey, so we'll have to see how that goes.

Vrancic is out of contract at the end of this coming season. As much as I like him, he'll be 32 come May 2021. Knowing that we focus on youth, unless he has a standout campaign, I can see him moving on then as well.

In his recent interview he said he and Farke have discussed playing him as a 10, on the wings or as a number 8. So he definitely could be seen in central midfield.

Sitti has been signed for the U23s, he might end up being Tettey's replacement, but he has a lot of development to do before he can start to be considered for a regular role in the first team.

9 hours ago, chicken said:

Who’s going to take our goal-attacking free kicks, I wonder? No offence to Emi but different league... from what I’ve seen. 

On 27/08/2020 at 08:21, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

In his recent interview he said he and Farke have discussed playing him as a 10, on the wings or as a number 8. So he definitely could be seen in central midfield.

Sitti has been signed for the U23s, he might end up being Tettey's replacement, but he has a lot of development to do before he can start to be considered for a regular role in the first team.

Possible, but somewhat doubtful that we will see Dowell in CM. That is the last place I expect to see him. Especially in our current system. It would mean he plays a holding midfield role alongside a defensive midfielder. From what he has shown so far, that would mean we lose out heavily on his attacking ability. If injuries must, then possibly. 

41 minutes ago, chicken said:

Possible, but somewhat doubtful that we will see Dowell in CM. That is the last place I expect to see him. Especially in our current system. It would mean he plays a holding midfield role alongside a defensive midfielder. From what he has shown so far, that would mean we lose out heavily on his attacking ability. If injuries must, then possibly. 

It is just what Dowell said when he signed. 

It wouldn't be a holding midfielder, but as an 8 so having attacking quality in that role is very useful.

I’ve heard Lewis and Godfrey were the two ‘dead certs’ to leave this summer which is why we’ve already recruited to replace them. I believe Lewis nearly left in Jan. I would think they expect either Cantwell or Buendia to leave as well but not both.

So I’d expect at least one, maybe two more departures.

What we won’t know ( but the club will ) is what impact the Chinese money being pulled last year will have on last years income and future parachute payments. There may of course be no impact, but I would be surprised if that was the case. There may or may not be a big hole in our finances, but only the club will know at this stage.