Sign in to follow this  
Jools

New GB News Channel

14 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

GB News - Brexit revolt looms over Sunak deal

Not news, I think we all know their position on this.

The interesting part for me is this:

"However, Johnson also faced backlash for his Brexit intervention as Penny Mordaunt, the Commons leader, claimed it was “not entirely unhelpful”."

Can't a journalist spot a double negative? A good standard of english should be mandatory for people who want to work in this profession 

To be fair, if it's a direct attributable quote from Penny Mordaunt said as presented, then it's fine as far as the journalism is concerned; the grammar query should be directed at Penny Mordaunt.

Also, it's debatable whether it is a full-on double negative given the presence of 'entirely' in there, which gives the nuance that it could be considered as unhelpful for the most part, but helpful in a small part.

But I don't know nuffink.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

26 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

To be fair, if it's a direct attributable quote from Penny Mordaunt said as presented, then it's fine as far as the journalism is concerned; the grammar query should be directed at Penny Mordaunt.

Also, it's debatable whether it is a full-on double negative given the presence of 'entirely' in there, which gives the nuance that it could be considered as unhelpful for the most part, but helpful in a small part.

But I don't know nuffink.

I think Mordaunts comment was actually slightly different, but that isn't the issue 

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-ni-intervention-not-entirely-unhelpful-says-commons-leader-penny-mordaunt/1147937992.html

The issue is GB news claimed this was a "backlash" against Johnson, which it clearly isn't 

Edit - According to the Belfast Telegraph, the comment was "She added: “Well, Boris is being Boris. But I wouldn't say this is a completely unhelpful intervention"

Edited by How I Wrote Elastic Man
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I think Mordaunts comment was actually slightly different, but that isn't the issue 

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-ni-intervention-not-entirely-unhelpful-says-commons-leader-penny-mordaunt/1147937992.html

The issue is GB news claimed this was a "backlash" against Johnson, which it clearly isn't 

Edit - According to the Belfast Telegraph, the comment was "She added: “Well, Boris is being Boris. But I wouldn't say this is a completely unhelpful intervention"

I guess the whole lot of them are getting sloppy, seeing as the Guardian also ran with 'not entirely unhelpful'. It does come to something when they can't even get quotes down accurately. Other sources say 'not completely unhelpful'. I know it's a synonym, but even so...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/feb/19/boris-johnson-northern-ireland-brexit-row-penny-mordaunt

Edit: I now see what you were driving at, and yes, it's bizarre.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, king canary said:

Just completely farcical. A Tory MP invites another Tory MP onto his show under the banner of unbiased news.

"I am feel honored to have been asked to be his first guest".

Jeez, did he think his grammar caught Covid once? 😉

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Just completely farcical. A Tory MP invites another Tory MP onto his show under the banner of unbiased news.

Never  watched it .......was it something like this :

They could always have a comedy hour - Jools interviewing Hooky.... or is it the other way round?

All contributions to the local hospitals.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

They could always have a comedy hour - Jools interviewing Hooky.... or is it the other way round?

All contributions to the local hospitals.

He would need a mirror to interview himself

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Well b back said:

He would need a mirror to interview himself

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/03/2023 at 15:08, keelansgrandad said:

Racks up £30M loss in first year. Advertising revenue less than £3M.

The BBC racked up over £42 million in losses last year and that's with the UK population being forced to stump up for a license fee or be fined heavily and/or jailed.

It should be done now, but let's see how the BBC fares when public funding is abolished.

12 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

The BBC racked up over £42 million in losses last year and that's with the UK population being forced to stump up for a license fee or be fined heavily and/or jailed.

It should be done now, but let's see how the BBC fares when public funding is abolished.

I know you won't accept it but the BBC is independent. GB News is a right wing platform.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Aye, especially with the likes of Benjamin Butterworth featuring on a daily basis, lols..

You're genuinely amazingly thick.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Herman said:

4 hours ago, king canary said:

I watched this yes and its quite funny.

What's sad is that 'GB News' passes itself off as a 'news' channel.

As to Jools/Hooky - have to remember that it's one person split between between multiple accounts each with a portion of the IQ of a normal person. It's a wonder he manages to keep them semi-separate at all until of course he doesn't.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Herman said:

If he only took that silver spoon out of his mouth, he might tell the truth. So many Tory MPs have been allowed to go on this channel to make Party Political Broadcasts. And continue to cover up the lies they made in 2016.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Oh, hark at the self-professed proofreader who has failed to put a comma after genuinely in the above sentence.

GB News is predominantly conservative, but unlike most of the lefty MSM it at least allows opposition. That's the point I was making with Butterworth, 'though Gloria De Piero being a presenter there would probably have been a better example.

6 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Oh, hark at the self-professed proofreader who has failed to put a comma after genuinely in the above sentence.

GB News is predominantly conservative, but unlike most of the lefty MSM it at least allows opposition. That's the point I was making with Butterworth, 'though Gloria De Piero being a presenter there would probably have been a better example.

Errrm, you realise for me to 'self-professed' anything I'd have to have, y'know, professed it myself. If you can find me calling myself a proof-reader (which, by the way, requires a hyphen) it'll be news to me.

They occasionally let on a token lefty, whoop de doo. If you think GB News is somehow open to opposition while the BBC which goes painfully far out of its way, often to its detriment, in the name of balance that says a lot about you.

4 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I watched this yes and its quite funny.

What's sad is that 'GB News' passes itself off as a 'news' channel.

As to Jools/Hooky - have to remember that it's one person split between between multiple accounts each with a portion of the IQ of a normal person. It's a wonder he manages to keep them semi-separate at all until of course he doesn't.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

If he only took that silver spoon out of his mouth, he might tell the truth. So many Tory MPs have been allowed to go on this channel to make Party Political Broadcasts. And continue to cover up the lies they made in 2016.

A channel that calls and advertises itself a news channel (quite literally), that employs many tory MPs, is not a news channel according to Ofcom so it doesn't break any impartiality/balance rules that other news channels have to strictly abide by . It's rotten to the core.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, king canary said:

They occasionally let on a token lefty, whoop de doo. If you think GB News is somehow open to opposition while the BBC which goes painfully far out of its way, often to its detriment, in the name of balance that says a lot about you.

And that one paragraph says all I need to know about you and that is you're a f****** idiot --- Answer me the following questions in order to prove to me you're not the latter..

Name me one rightwing (token or otherwise) presenter at the BBC?

Why was a public inquiry into the Lefty bias at the BBC necessary?

Why has BBC boss Tim Davie admitted being embarrassed about lefty bias staff at the corporation?

Why are the majority of BBC licence paying Brits opposed to the licence fee?

I could go on and on with the questions. I could provide a myriad examples of BBC Lefty bias, especially in the Lefty employee only recruitment field...

'The BBC goes painfully out of its way, often to its detriment' 😀 Wrong, KC, the following is a small slice of what causes the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation detriment and it's called bias of the first degree:

Edited by Hook's-Walk-Canary

8 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

And that one paragraph says all I need to know about you and that is you're a f****** idiot --- Answer me the following questions in order to prove to me you're not the latter..

Name me one rightwing (token or otherwise) presenter at the BBC?

Why was a public inquiry into the Lefty bias at the BBC necessary?

Why has BBC boss Tim Davie admitted being embarrassed about lefty bias staff at the corporation?

Why are the majority of BBC licence paying Brits opposed to the licence fee?

I could go on and on with the questions. I could provide a myriad examples of BBC Lefty bias, especially in the Lefty employee only recruitment field...

'The BBC goes painfully out of its way, often to its detriment' 😀 Wrong, KC, the following is a small slice of what causes the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation detriment and it's called bias of the first degree:

Comparing the sheer dishonesty of describing 'GB News' as news and the frequent challenges over impartiality to the BBC is just daft, especially when you consider the BBC gets complaints about impartiality from across the spectrum.

The fact that Andrew Neil, hardly a lefty, but a massively well-respected journalist who spent many years as a top BBC political commentator, literally walked away from 'GB News' and was in tears recounting the experience having invested so much of his own reputation into it should tell you all you need to know.

As to that clip, it's very hard to judge how that might be biased with no information presented in the clip regarding the headlines being covered.

Edit: Having looked it up,  she was gleeful over Boris Johnson not running in the Conservative leadership race. The complaint against her was upheld by the BBC as a breach of impartiality rules. However, as to 'bias' it should be remembered that a very large chunk of the Conservative party was responsible for ousting him as PM; I don't think anyone could accuse them of lefty bias even if they were doubtless as pleased that he was remaining out of the picture.

• Like 1

Jools is just going through his greatest hits. It's nonsense, he knows this, but he has to pump it out for some semblance of relevance. 

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Jools is just going through his greatest hits. It's nonsense, he knows this, but he has to pump it out for some semblance of relevance. 

He always ends up defending the indefensible.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2023 at 08:31, littleyellowbirdie said:

Comparing the sheer dishonesty of describing 'GB News' as news and the frequent challenges over impartiality to the BBC is just daft, especially when you consider the BBC gets complaints about impartiality from across the spectrum.

The fact that Andrew Neil, hardly a lefty, but a massively well-respected journalist who spent many years as a top BBC political commentator, literally walked away from 'GB News' and was in tears recounting the experience having invested so much of his own reputation into it should tell you all you need to know.

As to that clip, it's very hard to judge how that might be biased with no information presented in the clip regarding the headlines being covered.

Edit: Having looked it up,  she was gleeful over Boris Johnson not running in the Conservative leadership race. The complaint against her was upheld by the BBC as a breach of impartiality rules. However, as to 'bias' it should be remembered that a very large chunk of the Conservative party was responsible for ousting him as PM; I don't think anyone could accuse them of lefty bias even if they were doubtless as pleased that he was remaining out of the picture.

Worth remembering he also called Sky news 'Lefty' a day or two ago so I think we know where his personal Overton window is at. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Worth remembering he also called Sky news 'Lefty' a day or two ago so I think we know where his personal Overton window is at. 

Apologies, I forgot these two were far-right:

Sky News's Kay Burley and Beth Rigby off air due to Covid breach | Daily  Mail Online

Maybe you were thinking of SKY NEWS AUSTRALIA who are certainly conservative.

Edited by Hook's-Walk-Canary