Sign in to follow this  
Jools

New GB News Channel

It will be "Fair and Balanced" no doubt.... I understand that slogan is up for grabs now Rupert doesn't need it for his other channel.

Edited by Surfer

Don’t anything about this new station  but have to say Andrew Neil is one of the best, as is Eddie Mair.

Edited by Van wink

The Breakfast Show presented by Katie Hopkins sponsored Persil (Katie gets the grass stains out of her clothes with Persil, we don't know what the married man she was sh@gging in the field uses)

Mid-morning with Tommy Robinson sponsored by The Spanish Tourist Board.

Lunchtime with Farage, who's paying for lunch (not Nigel)

Afternoon Show with Eddie Mair (shurely some mistake, please report to Rupert)

Evenings with Andrew Neil sponsored by Brillo Pads.

Overnight Show hosted by Sean Insanity (on loan from Fox News)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

The Breakfast Show presented by Katie Hopkins sponsored Persil (Katie gets the grass stains out of her clothes with Persil, we don't know what the married man she was sh@gging in the field uses)

The Golden Hour

Katie Hopkins plays the songs from a time when brown faced people knew their place, and that was not in Britain

The Oh arghh chers

An every day story of bigoted rural folk   "get orf my England "

The Steve White show

all the hits, from white artistes only ....Cliff Richard, Gary Glitter, Rolf Harris

• Haha 1

Farage to present the Weather?

Whether Brexit will ever work

Whether he will be able to scrounge yet another pension

whether he will be able to stop lying

Edited by keelansgrandad

Looks like this could be a goer unfortunately.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/aug/29/rivals-plan-fox-news-style-opinionated-tv-station-in-uk

Because as we know, other than the Sun, Mail, Express, Times, Telegraph, TalkRadio, TimesRadio, BBC, RussiaToday, Fakebook, Twitter, millions of websites and the fact they have been in government for well over ten years, the right wing are really struggling to get their voices heard.🤨

• Like 2

A true test of government - whether to let propaganda run unchecked - you just have to look at the state of the US to see why not.

Both are pitching to a perceived gap in the market for opinionated video output fuelled by growing distrust of the BBC among some parts of its audience, especially on the political right over culture war issues such as Brexit and whether Rule, Britannia! should be sung at the Last Night of the Proms.

On 22/08/2020 at 18:36, A Load of Squit said:

You missed drive time with Goebbels and the Sunday breakfast with Himmler from your schedule.

On 22/08/2020 at 18:24, Van wink said:

Don’t anything about this new station  but have to say Andrew Neil is one of the best, as is Eddie Mair.

good news

BBC chief asks Andrew Neil, scourge of the woke brigade, to return

Tim Davie spent his second day in the new role on a Zoom call with the presenter, who has not been on the BBC since March

ByRobert Mendick,  CHIEF REPORTER6 September 2020 • 9:45am
In a landmark speech to staff on Thursday, Tim Davie put a ‘renewed commitment’ to impartiality centre stage
In a landmark speech to staff on Thursday, Tim Davie put a ‘renewed commitment’ to impartiality centre stage CREDIT: PA

The BBC’s new Director-General is trying to woo back Andrew Neil to the corporation in the biggest demonstration yet of his determination to shake off allegations of Left-wing political bias.

The Telegraph can reveal Tim Davie spent his second day in his new post on a Zoom call with Neil in an attempt to get him back to the BBC.

Neil, who is regarded as television's most forensic and feared political interviewer, has not been seen on the BBC since March. 

Widely seen as an antidote to the so-called “woke brigade” which is accused of cultural and political domination at the BBC, executives under the previous regime of Lord Hall had allowed Neil's contract to lapse.

But having been ignored by the corporation for almost six months - friends of Neil called his treatment “insulting” - Mr Davie has begun making overtures to lure him back to the broadcaster.

It is understood he spoke to Neil in the summer to open discussions before formally making a series of offers on Wednesday in a Zoom call on only his second day in post.

Sources close to the Director-General said: “Tim Davie wants Andrew Neil back at the BBC because he is a bloody good broadcaster. There has always been a collective desire to have Andrew Neil in the fold because of his talent.”

Neil, who is 71, has spent much of lockdown in France after his eponymous programme - The Andrew Neil Show - was taken off air in March as a result of the pandemic and the impossibility of grilling politicians face to face.

It was then formally axed in the summer - a victim of swingeing BBC news and current affairs budget cuts.

Neil, who is chairman of The Spectator magazine and former editor of The Sunday Times, has faced the wrath of Left-wing commentators who have accused him of a “relentless sympathy for Brexit and denunciation of its critics” in posts on his Twitter feed. 

He has previously singled out The Mash Report, BBC Two's satirical late-night show, which he described as "self satisfied, self adulatory, unchallenged Left-wing propaganda. It's hardly balance. Could never happen on a politics show. Except this has become a politics show".

There were complaints when the BBC gave him his own political interview programme, broadcast at 7pm on BBC2, although even his greatest critics recognise he is a ‘formidable political interviewer’.

In the last election, Neil demolished Jeremy Corbyn in a searing interview while Boris Johnson preferred to be branded a coward than face a Neil grilling.

Andrew Neil 'empty-chaired' Boris Johnson when the Prime Minister declined to be interviewed in 2019
Andrew Neil 'empty-chaired' Boris Johnson when the Prime Minister declined to be interviewed for the 2019 election campaign 

Neil has let it be known he was upset that the BBC - under the reign of its former-director general Lord Hall - made no attempt to contact him after his show was taken off air in March.

So the decision by his successor Mr Davie to contact Neil on only his second day in the job is significant and demonstrates his serious intent to end criticism of the corporation, levelled by the Government and Tory backbenchers, of a Left-wing bias. 

Excellent article in the Guardian today about Sandel's new book which is a critique of meritocracy...in the sense that it undervalues people who are not seen as a success (e.g. through education). He criticises the left quite cutely too.

He calls for societal changes ...and something far deeper than the boring left/right battleground. Very important messages.

This messageboard is frequently adversarial and it loses credibility, such is the desire for people to denigrate one another (says he, admittedly in an assuming tone ...for which I apologise ...but I'm wanting to make a point for the need for real listening and understanding). I won't post the link as it's there for everyone.

28 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Excellent article in the Guardian today about Sandel's new book which is a critique of meritocracy...in the sense that it undervalues people who are not seen as a success (e.g. through education). He criticises the left quite cutely too.

He calls for societal changes ...and something far deeper than the boring left/right battleground. Very important messages.

This messageboard is frequently adversarial and it loses credibility, such is the desire for people to denigrate one another (says he, admittedly in an assuming tone ...for which I apologise ...but I'm wanting to make a point for the need for real listening and understanding). I won't post the link as it's there for everyone.

There is very little room for a centerist view on here.

22 minutes ago, Van wink said:

There is very little room for a centerist view on here.

Yet, I don't think he is centrist himself though VW. But maybe you're right as to arguments on here. At the nub of his thesis is humility I think. Brief extract here:

There must be a radical re-evaluation of how contributions to the common good are judged and rewarded. The money to be earned in the City or on Wall Street, for example, is out of all proportion with the contribution of speculative finance to the real economy. A financial transactions tax would allow funds to be channelled more equably. But for Sandel, the word “honour” is as important as the question of pay. There needs to be a redistribution of esteem as well as money, and more of it needs to go to the millions doing work that does not require a college degree.

“We need to rethink the role of universities as arbiters of opportunity,” he says, “which is something we have come to take for granted. Credentialism has become the last acceptable prejudice. It would be a serious mistake to leave the issue of investment in vocational training and apprenticeships to the right. Greater investment is important not only to support the ability of people without an advanced degree to make a living. The public recognition it conveys can help shift attitudes towards a better appreciation of the contribution to the common good made by people who haven’t been to university.”

A new respect and status for the non-credentialed, he says, should be accompanied by a belated humility on the part of the winners in the supposedly meritocratic race. To those who, like many of his Harvard students, believe that they are simply the deserving recipients of their own success, Sandel offers the wisdom of Ecclesiastes: “I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding… but time and chance happeneth to them all.”

“Humility is a civic virtue essential to this moment,” he says, “because it’s a necessary antidote to the meritocratic hubris that has driven us apart.”

I believe there is a chance, albeit a small one, of something good to come out of Covid 19 if we can find folk in higher office who have the ability to articulate the kind of ideas Sandel advocates.

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yet, I don't think he is centrist himself though VW. But maybe you're right as to arguments on here. At the nub of his thesis is humility I think. Brief extract here:

There must be a radical re-evaluation of how contributions to the common good are judged and rewarded. The money to be earned in the City or on Wall Street, for example, is out of all proportion with the contribution of speculative finance to the real economy. A financial transactions tax would allow funds to be channelled more equably. But for Sandel, the word “honour” is as important as the question of pay. There needs to be a redistribution of esteem as well as money, and more of it needs to go to the millions doing work that does not require a college degree.

“We need to rethink the role of universities as arbiters of opportunity,” he says, “which is something we have come to take for granted. Credentialism has become the last acceptable prejudice. It would be a serious mistake to leave the issue of investment in vocational training and apprenticeships to the right. Greater investment is important not only to support the ability of people without an advanced degree to make a living. The public recognition it conveys can help shift attitudes towards a better appreciation of the contribution to the common good made by people who haven’t been to university.”

A new respect and status for the non-credentialed, he says, should be accompanied by a belated humility on the part of the winners in the supposedly meritocratic race. To those who, like many of his Harvard students, believe that they are simply the deserving recipients of their own success, Sandel offers the wisdom of Ecclesiastes: “I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding… but time and chance happeneth to them all.”

“Humility is a civic virtue essential to this moment,” he says, “because it’s a necessary antidote to the meritocratic hubris that has driven us apart.”

I believe there is a chance, albeit a small one, of something good to come out of Covid 19 if we can find folk in higher office who have the ability to articulate the kind of ideas Sandel advocates.

The problem with all of this is that it assumes I think you are having a rational discussion based on agreed common facts.

The whole Brexit thing has little to do with such facts but is all head (remainers) vs heart (Brexiters). That why there is no common ground. Both speak different languages. 

The problems come when Johnson for instance tries to square his fictions with grounded facts i.e the NI customs border. 

"I believe there is a chance, albeit a small one, of something good to come out of Covid 19 if we can find folk in higher office who have the ability to articulate the kind of ideas Sandel advocates."

Good luck with that, most politicians now come from the very "deserving recipients of their own success" group that you/he describe above. The Labour Party that I was a member of, many years ago, had numerous MP's from the university of life and those that had enjoyed the privilege of a quality higher education recognised the advantage they had gained. I'm afraid I now see lip service but no genuine vocational draw to the same ideology.

5 minutes ago, Herman said:

Whatever happened to the Telegraph newspaper?

It used to be a good factual knowledgeable source when I was young. Think its become senile along with its current reader base.

22 minutes ago, Van wink said:

"I believe there is a chance, albeit a small one, of something good to come out of Covid 19 if we can find folk in higher office who have the ability to articulate the kind of ideas Sandel advocates."

Good luck with that, most politicians now come from the very "deserving recipients of their own success" group that you/he describe above. The Labour Party that I was a member of, many years ago, had numerous MP's from the university of life and those that had enjoyed the privilege of a quality higher education recognised the advantage they had gained. I'm afraid I now see lip service but no genuine vocational draw to the same ideology.

A point Sandel makes in that article. He articulates a hope.

Someone, at some time though, needs to make political argument and debate far more relevant ..that can be understood, that is 'honouring' of all sectors of society.

There have been decent politicians like that in the past. Maybe there are some now in parliament. I don't know. I see the present government as empty vessels and chancers in the main. Mainly interested in themselves. I saw the Labour party under Corbyn as toxic.

The reason I posted here is the hope that Neil will draw some focus into the kind of territory Sandel speaks of.

As ever, I want to think glass half full. Idealist to the last.

Edited by sonyc

15 minutes ago, Herman said:

Whatever happened to the Telegraph newspaper?

used to have this somewhere, must dig it out....good game

Screen Shot 2020-09-06 at 21.32.19.png

Just now, Van wink said:

Yep

Perhaps my son has caught it from me then 🙂

"The apple never falls far from the tree...."

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Perhaps my son has caught it from me then 🙂

"The apple never falls far from the tree...."

😀

Well I hope you have read Rape of the Fair Country by now

Just now, Van wink said:

😀

Well I hope you have read Rape of the Fair Country by now

Too expensive!!

Looked when you posted and it was c.£25 plus on usual secondhand sites. Maybe there are cheaper copies now

13 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

It used to be a good factual knowledgeable source when I was young. Think its become senile along with its current reader base.

Although always a conservative paper, it was readable with interesting opinions and news. A good sit in the park, long read, type of paper. Now it has it's fill of trolls and is diving head first into this culture war rubbish. No better the the Express really.

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Too expensive!!

Looked when you posted and it was c.£25 plus on usual secondhand sites. Maybe there are cheaper copies now

Blimey, my autographed first copy must be worth a fortune😉

Edited by Van wink

Just now, Van wink said:

Blimey, my autographed first copy must me worth a fortune😉

Indeed. Get it on eBay.