Kenny Foggo

Seasons expectations?

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Top 2, and then a better effort to stay up with the big boys. 

5th time lucky eh...

Me - Top 6, always a tough league to get out of and have to reverse the momentum and bed in quite a few new players to start with. 

5 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Me - Promotion, anything else will be seen as a failure.

Club - top 6

?

If you work hard and the lucks with you you'll get your promotion.

Will you keep us up to date on how you're doing?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Top six would be great, top two marvellous, but I'm not expecting it - I just want a good season of good football with fans allowed back in at some stage, which will be a celebration in itself.

• Like 1

Top 6 has to be minimum expectation. Quite frankly anything less than that I would see as us going backwards, from Championship winners, to Premier League basement, to Champs mid-table. The club have stated that we should be a top 26 team, for us to be promoted up to the EPL and then slide out so woefully only to fall below even that much-derided objective would be inexcusable.

There is an awful lot at stake this season.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Top six would be great, top two marvellous, but I'm not expecting it - I just want a good season of good football with fans allowed back in at some stage, which will be a celebration in itself.

Where do you guess Norwich will finish then Lakey? 

I sense us being around 5th to 9th most of the season with a slow start and some draws.

I think we can be a top 26 club in accordance with the target. After the end of the season we have just had I have to admit feeling concerned & I don't have high expectations for this coming season at this moment. Usually the shape of it comes after 10 or 12 games.

Expecting a good season and some new exciting players to emerge.

Would love to win the league as it means a brilliant season but not fussed anymore about the EPL. We have seen through the last decade what a rotten miserable cheating bunch most are in that league. Money is not the enemy but how nmuch people are spending and wasting is.

• Like 1

Championship is the championship and notoriously difficult - to assume we should get top 2 ignores pretty much the history of this league which suggests coming straight back up is even more unlikely. Would be more than happy with top 6.

If the transfer window closes and we haven't lost any of the "Jewell's" then you have to put the boys to task and say we must win it.

However, overall I think will be happy if we finish up promoted, any which way! 

Surely promotion is always the goal for a club, otherwise what's point turning up?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Surely promotion is always the goal for a club, otherwise what's point turning up?

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

A slow start with a few injuries early in the season allowing for some others to get a chance to play. The team gel by late October. 

By Christmas top 10 then we peak around February time move up to top table. After this we end the season poorly finishing in 4th place then get to the play off final and win it. 

Idah top scorer. 

(Ipswich to finish 18th in L1) 

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:
16 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Where do you guess Norwich will finish then Lakey? 

Pure guess? Top, but it is a guess, not expectation - in reality I think we needs the fans back to achieve that.

Given that we have enough players for 3 teams at this level, anything below top 6 is failure. I don't expect us to win it or get auto's, but if we don't get to the playoffs the Farke/Webber era will be over.

7 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Given that we have enough players for 3 teams at this level, anything below top 6 is failure. I don't expect us to win it or get auto's, but if we don't get to the playoffs the Farke/Webber era will be over.

Not sure that you're right there, if we start slowly but improve over the season, finish top 6 even if we miss out on promo, I wouldnt be at all surprised if farke stays as there'll be one more season of parachute payments to carry on the rebuild, but we must be on an upward trajectory to make DFs tenure assured.

Edit: re read your post and mine and we basically agree, except I think if we have a strong finish ,say end up 7 or 8th, I dont think he'll be (or should be) sacked.

Edited by wcorkcanary

A lot to bear in mind, and I've said before I think we'll start quite slowly. I'd expect us to be competitive for the top 6 for most of the season. If we have a fair wind with injuries and the new lads bed in well then we could go straight back up, but I think a scrap for the play-offs is more realistic.

If you were to push me for a prediction right now, I'd say we'd get to the play-offs but lose the semi, probably on penalties. There are a lot of potential talents to bed in as Farke's breaking up a fair proportion of the squad with Leitner and Trybull out, who were proven class at this level, Tettey and Vrancic are more likely to be squad players and were also proven class at this level. I've got high hopes for Rupp coming through to show his true colours somewhere having spent more time with the team to get used to them.

IMO a lot will depend on how the new defensive midfielders, especially Skipp and Sorensen settle, and I think we're all looking forward to seeing Placheta, Idah, and Martin in particular come on. A bit of good old-fashioned express train pace on the counter is something we could probably use to great effect, especially if we're defending a lead.

But it's very clear to me that Webber and Farke have taken a good look at players who couldn't quite make it in the Premiership and are willing to make brave decisions re. breaking up a team in places with the aim of strengthening it. I just hope people don't panic a bit if results are slow to arrive. We saw in that wonderfully unexpected Championship win two seasons ago what they are capable of when it clicks.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

If you were to push me for a prediction right now, I'd say we'd get to the play-offs but lose the semi, probably on penalties.

Sorry to do this @TheGunnShow but can I just say, that is an amazing quote. 

Hahaha obviously more than entitled to your opinion there but that is so negative a view it made me laugh. Even in your own fantasy you have out team get painfully close and then lose in semis on pens... We didn't even make the final and lose on pens! Hahaha

And also that is just impossible to say that already, we have no idea what whoever the opponents are or whatever!

Maybe I've taken this far too literal, but it made me laugh!

*Egg on my face and this to be bumped if this happens at season I'll have to happily way humble pie, with my drmic shirt on cause he wins golden boot 2021

12 months ago we had momentum and a settled team, other than injuries.

Had we recruited enough players, no. We needed a new number 10, defensive midfielder and we didnt get enough in. That is well documented.

What happened in the last 12 months has been very tough, Pukki firing and getting injured and struggling at the end of year. Defensive injuries, multiple goalkeepers on the bench due to lack of depth, are '5 golden nuggets' under pressure with injuries around them and many players not rising up.

Then momentum after christmas, stopped with the pandemic.

The restart showed we were not set for the season mentally or physically, we were wounded. The loss of any home field advantage blew any chance of redemption.

Since relegation we have bought, noted a few players can leave. Currently we are holding on to the 5 golden nuggets so a team is here in numbers but how are they mentally.

This is Farkes toughest challenge, every player needs to step up as it is a long season. They showed that they did not have the bite at the restart and that is a worry, we need to find that unity and belief.

Top teams can control this league, but by god it is rare and I dont think we will dominate this league. But what we can do is grow into this league. We need to very quickly and then build. 

It is going to be a strange season again with no home field advantage.

However I feel we do have the raw talent and hopefully some of the pieces around that can move it forward. But the 12 months have been damaging.

It is now very interesting to see how these players react.

We have shown we can ride the wave, can we ride it again? It is if those players want to ride it, they will be under the spot light more. 

I think it will take us a little time, there are teams we should beat on paper relatively at a canter. But I think by November we will be in the top 6 and from then we will build and move up the table.

I cannot see a strong team who i would say is the favourite and that helps as those 2 automatic spots are up for grabs.

I can see by March us in the top 4 and then even reaching the top 2 by the end of the season.

So i hope top 2 but certainly top 5

• Like 1

I think we'll be there or thereabouts all season, but it really depends on the mentality of key players after last season.  'Project Restart' was an unmitigated disaster for us, and Farke and his coaching staff have a huge job on their hands to try and remove that from players minds - part of that is bringing fresh faces into the squad, but imagine we finish September having picked up a scrappy point at Huddersfield, a close win at home v Preston and then defeat to Bournemouth.  Players with a weak mentality, and there will be some in our team, will already be panicking.  That's all notwithstanding that we still don't know for sure when fans will be allowed back in.  If Farke manages to turn our end of season form around, he's done an even better job than winning the league in 18/19 in my opinion.

With the squad we have at our disposal, even an up and down season should see us somewhere around the playoff spots (see 2016/17) - I think we'll definitely finish top 6, but we need to finish top 2 to justify the decisions we took last year.