Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

New season fixtures

So for the third year running, Liverpool start their season at home, and for the second year running it's against the winners of the Championship. Obviously completely random and definitely no favouritism there then.

We've started with an away fixture the last 3 seasons.

It seems it isn't just Ofqual who have problems writing algorithms......

Apparently when shuffle features were invented on music players, they had to program rules into them because people kept detecting "patterns" even though they were genuinely random. 

I can't for even a second think there is anything dodgy or fixing there. Sometimes you flip a coin and heads comes up time and time again. It's not always a doubled headed coin.

Are people really this into conspiracies and fixing?

37 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I can't for even a second think there is anything dodgy or fixing there. Sometimes you flip a coin and heads comes up time and time again. It's not always a doubled headed coin.

Algorithims aren't making random choices though - they are programmed by human beings so are only as good as what the human beings put into them. 

For some reason people latch on to algorithims and use them as if they are better than a human being working them out. "It's ok, no need to think, we'll just use an algorothim" seems to be the order of the way things are done. They may be good in some circumstances, but they are prone to making nonsense choices which defy their supposed reason for being, lacking in any sense of humanity or justice.  Why people think algorithims are the way forwards beats me - ask a student or teacher at the moment what they think of algorithims.......   

Algorithims are largely cack, inflexible, throw up nonsense situations and although to some people they might seem to have some credence, they are often totally unfit for purpose.

Edited by lake district canary

There's nothing wrong with the science or the theory of algorithms, just the people who create them. (And incidentally the shuffle feature on itunes is intentionally designed to feature only a percentage of your saved tracks - it's only "random" within that pre-selection).

I'm not suggesting conspiracy, I'm suggesting incompetence. But it's not difficult to build in advantage to a selected area within an algorithm; it is very difficult (but not impossible) to construct an algorithm to iron out all the possible creases - like the same teams always getting home games first up. They do it for Boxing Day and Easter games, but clearly choose not to for opening games.

I see the BBC are at it with the Leeds love-in again:

"There can be little doubt over the glamour fixture of the opening weekend as the champions of the top two divisions go head to head."

The fixture list hasn't ever been totally random- it has to consider teams in close proximity not playing at home on the same day etc etc.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

"There can be little doubt over the glamour fixture of the opening weekend as the champions of the top two divisions go head to head."

Fancy the Championship winners playing at Anfield on their opening fixture..... unheard of 😊

1 hour ago, alex_ncfc said:

A bit of an explosion of Leeds jerseys appearing over here, mostly worn by men in their late fifties, who all became Leeds 'supporters' in the Seventies. Dont ya just love spotting a Glory Boy. Funnily enough these same guys didnt want to talk about football just over a year ago.

20 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Moaning for the sake of moaning 

Is that your new Mission Statement?

If so, well done . It kinda covers Scampi portions, Delia out SRCI in, and Cantwells hair and gloves. Thats most of what you ever say covered. Congratulations for such astute self definition.  You can just post ' Moaning for the sake....' and we'lll get your drift, no need to continue. Good man.

I see the binners are getting a bit concerned about the new covid regulations for poorman road

The current rules state that a third of the ground can be used

...........................they are wondering how they are going to find that number of fans

Binners practice social distancing

OLD PHOTO HUMOUR Farming Farm Workers Men Sythe Rural W14F - £1.99 ...