Being injured is a normally requisite to join City.  Joined a long list of crocks.  And its still continues.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

so cheer up my old flat foot, cast your eye down the A140 and know you will most likely not have another pint in the station hotel on matchday, but you will certainly have a few more in the Nelson after enjoying another win at CR keeping us top of the table.

Haven't had a pint in the Nelson for at least a couple of seasons since The Compleat Angler booted out away fans and a lot migrated across the road so do keep up City1st.

Edited by TIL 1010

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Was signed when there was only one left back in the squad so provided vital cover in the Championship season but ultimately kept out of the first team by one of the best young left backs in the country.

If Jamal had got injured in the run in to the 2018/19 season everyone would have bemoaned the lack of cover in the team. 

Precisely this. We still have a lot of people moaning that four centre-backs last season wasn't enough and 'we should have had more cover!!' even though on paper we were covered but just got extremely unlucky with iniuries. When we do sign players as cover and the first choice remains fit, it is then seen as a waste of time and money. We can't win.

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

What i am struggling with is this continuous conveyor belt of signing players to immediately send them out on loan some for more than just the one season. I thought we signed players to improve the squad not have them ' sitting around ' as you put it Dunc ?  I have lost count of the players out on loan who have failed to make  the squad. Maybe someone could provide a list for last season and this coming one ?

If you're signing a lot of younger players speculatively in order to develop them, either by putting them in the U23s or loaning them out, then chances are you are going to sign a lot of players who don't make the grade. However, chances are you'll also find a Godfrey or a Maddison who will end up as a key player with a market value of £25m and that ends up making the whole system worthwhile.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

You'd prefer us not to loan the players out and just have them sitting around as a drain on our financial resources? You'd rather we were paying them and not another team because it would mean we were spending money rather than saving it or spending it more productively? I must be missing your point here spectacularly. 

Glad I wasn't the only one, really do not understand bemoaning making profits on players, albeit small ones in this case. 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

What i am struggling with is this continuous conveyor belt of signing players to immediately send them out on loan some for more than just the one season. I thought we signed players to improve the squad not have them ' sitting around ' as you put it Dunc ?  I have lost count of the players out on loan who have failed to make  the squad. Maybe someone could provide a list for last season and this coming one ?

There are two separate groups of players on loan. You have Heise, Morris and Thompson - these are players who aren’t needed at Norwich and are loaned out to get loan fees and their wages off the books. Being loaned rather than sold it depends on what kind of fees they can get for the players and how much their wages are. Loaning can be more profitable for the club than selling. 

There is the another group of loaned out players who are youngsters that the club are getting senior playing experience for. U23s football is pretty worthless so it is far better the young players go out and play the games in a competitive league somewhere. Many of the young players brought in are gambles by the club and they are sent out to see if they have what it takes. Get them some first team experience and even if they show they aren’t good enough for Norwich they might show they are good enough for another team - who will then pay a fee for them.

If just one player goes out and shows they have what it take it could be worth millions for Norwich. Godfrey’s loan to Shrewsbury or Cantwell’s to Fortuna have both been referenced by them as being vital to their development. 

Norwich are prepared to gamble small fees and wages for players in the hope some are hits. Not all of them will be of course, but it only takes one or two to make it all worthwhile. 

Norwich are a self funded club meaning they need to tap into any possible revenue stream. This is just another way to make money and maybe get a first team player here and there. To maintain the Tier 1 Academy this model is vital.   

It is different to how clubs used to operate but it is very much a part of modern football. Teams like Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal etc and been operating this way for years. Hoover up loads of youth talent in the knowledge that many won’t make it but they will probably be able to get some fees for many of them. 

• Like 2

So farewell then Philip Heise,

You only played for us once or twice,

Attacking full backs are ten a penny,

I guess that's why we've signed so many. 

At least we didn't pay too high a price

And a loan fee's always nice.

Farewell Philip Heise.

• Like 1