Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Transfer fees and Jamal

Brentford have just signed a 24 year old Peterborough forward for £6.5m rising to £10m with add ons. The fee offered for Jamal has been done to death on this forum and I know they're completely different players, but it does help put the whole thing in perspective. 

• Like 1

Brentford have money in the bank for selling players for good money last season and this. Pre Covid to sign a young championship forward  who was successful you were looking at in excess of £20m ie Maupay and Bowen. That is a lot of money by anyones reckoning and both made sufficient contributions in the PL to help keep their sides up so the outlay will have been considered worth while. Dipping down into league 1 is a risk, you could unearth  a Grant Holt or Rickie Lambert or you could get your fingers burnt as the top end of the championship is a big jump from the top end of league 1 or 2. This lad obviously shows promise and Brentford have a very good record of making good signings replacing players  they have in turn sold so i would not bet against this lad coming off, but it is a big risk. Post COVID it is too early to say what the impact will be on the transfer market, the PL still has shed loads of cash coming in but all the rest are/will start to feel the pinch pretty quickly if fans cannot get back in full numbers. Would we pay  up to £10m for a league 1 player or indeed any player if we are not in the PL i suspect not

12 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Brentford have money in the bank for selling players for good money last season and this. Pre Covid to sign a young championship forward  who was successful you were looking at in excess of £20m ie Maupay and Bowen. That is a lot of money by anyones reckoning and both made sufficient contributions in the PL to help keep their sides up so the outlay will have been considered worth while. Dipping down into league 1 is a risk, you could unearth  a Grant Holt or Rickie Lambert or you could get your fingers burnt as the top end of the championship is a big jump from the top end of league 1 or 2. This lad obviously shows promise and Brentford have a very good record of making good signings replacing players  they have in turn sold so i would not bet against this lad coming off, but it is a big risk. Post COVID it is too early to say what the impact will be on the transfer market, the PL still has shed loads of cash coming in but all the rest are/will start to feel the pinch pretty quickly if fans cannot get back in full numbers. Would we pay  up to £10m for a league 1 player or indeed any player if we are not in the PL i suspect not

It may just take a few big transfers to start the avalanche. Grealish and Chilwell transfers could be the catalyst for this and I’d guess a lot of provisional enquires have already been made here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It may just take a few big transfers to start the avalanche. Grealish and Chilwell transfers could be the catalyst for this and I’d guess a lot of provisional enquires have already been made here. 

I Imagine everything is Near enough Agreed behind the scenes once Leicester sell they will Buy Lewis but Not until 

It has not Really started yet which is surprising 

i Think we would like to sell one or two so we have plenty of cash if a target becomes available or as a buffer if fans do not return etc