The Sky Sports transfer blog claims we have agreed a deal with Villareal to sign the 23 year old former Spanish youth international left back. The deal is a loan for nect season with an obligation to sign him for £2.7 million if ee get promoted. He played 23 rimes for Villarreal this season just ended. 

• Thanks 1

With rumours of Chilwell moving to Chelsea the Lewis to Leicester rumour makes sense. McCullum and Quintilla would then be the left back options.

31 minutes ago, lappinitup said:

Seriously though, Lewis is on the way out and if he's the only one, that's ok.

No, fill our coffers while we can

A 28 year old maybe just as good as Cantwell, but the fee will be different due to the miles on the clock of the former

I expect we could find a CB as good as Godfrey is now, only Godfrey is likely to improve the new CB may not

I would put Krul against Ramsdale any day, but why would we need to pay the latter's fee ?

Cash in where we can and start afresh.

We don't need PL player, we need those who can get us promoted.

Never heard of this lad before the link but sounds like he is a good prospect. I wonder why the deal to sign him on a permanent seems linked with a return to the PL.  I assume he will only get his chance in the first team  because the likes of Lewis will have moved on and i assume in that case we would still need  LB cover and the fee if correct is reasonably modest and he is a good age. Anyway if he comes i hope he does well and  i will  follow his progress with interest

Sounds like a good possibility as I’ve had a look at him on Wikipedia and it says that he can also play as a CB. If we do manage to go straight back up I think he might be another bargain buy if he’s only going to cost us £2.7m, although his wages would probably be quite high as Villarreal are a team that often plays in Europe. Says he made 23 apps this season, although I don’t know how much game time he got. 

Not too much about him on the internet. Has very average stats for the games that he's played, but Villareal looked like they had a pretty decent season. Hopefully he'll be a good addition.

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Heise has now gone, so that opens up a spot at left back for Quintilla to come in - guess we might see the announcement around 5pm today.

Ignore that, just seen the story 

47 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Heise has now gone, so that opens up a spot at left back for Quintilla to come in - guess we might see the announcement around 5pm today.

Do you know or have you heard anything about him Bethnal? Although perhaps not first choice, you'd expect someone who has played reasonably regularly for a team that finished 5th in the Spanish top flight to be a decent player wouldn;t you?

22 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Do you know or have you heard anything about him Bethnal? Although perhaps not first choice, you'd expect someone who has played reasonably regularly for a team that finished 5th in the Spanish top flight to be a decent player wouldn;t you?

Some data ‘boffins’ have said he’s an average left back for defending and below average attacking at a Premier League standard. Very good at ball retention though, which is certainly something Norwich prioritise. What is strange is Quintilla seemingly dribbled or carried the ball up the field very little, when this is a large part of the way Norwich play. Lewis was in the top percentile for forward carries for a full back in the Premier League. I can’t say I’ve ever seen him play so this could be more a Villareal style thing than due to the player. 

He played more than Villareal would really have liked, their first choice left back was largely injured. They are also pretty keen to shift him, despite him only signing a new contract in Feb. 

On paper, I’m not blown away by this but need to see him play. He certainly has good pedigree so might adapt to the Championship very easily. 

33 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Some data ‘boffins’ have said he’s an average left back for defending and below average attacking at a Premier League standard. Very good at ball retention though, which is certainly something Norwich prioritise. What is strange is Quintilla seemingly dribbled or carried the ball up the field very little, when this is a large part of the way Norwich play. Lewis was in the top percentile for forward carries for a full back in the Premier League. I can’t say I’ve ever seen him play so this could be more a Villareal style thing than due to the player. 

He played more than Villareal would really have liked, their first choice left back was largely injured. They are also pretty keen to shift him, despite him only signing a new contract in Feb. 

On paper, I’m not blown away by this but need to see him play. He certainly has good pedigree so might adapt to the Championship very easily. 

I'd probably take average premier league level left back to be honest but yes I would agree that if he doesn't get forward very much it would appear to be a strange fit. That said, my assumption (and perhaps this is a little lazy) from what i've seen of McCullum so far is that he is more of a Lewis style, like to get forward, type of left back so perhaps we are looking to have a squad where we have one of each style (i.e. one marauding, attacking full back and one more conservative one) so we can mix and match depending on the scenario/opposition. Lewis/Quintilla or Quintilla/McCullum would both seem to be combos that give us that.

The elephant in the room here is City’s coaching team

We have seen the four youth players develop, as we have Buendia and Onel. We pulled Krul and pukki from relative obscurity

What did we see about and were then able to develop with ex Arsenal James

Look how Zimmerman progressed. And as said before when you are paying low fees for players who are currently 'fringe' then of course there is going to be an element of risk. And they will be at different stages of development. so some will go out on loan, some will work with the U23s and some will go straight onto the first team bench if not team.

Maybe if some embraced what is being down, see the overall picture and enjoy the fact that we haven't dropped out of the PL and sold with no say in any sale, then see a bunch of ex PL journeymen make up the squad.

The signings indicate a vibrant attitude, one that has taken relegation in its stride.

So to the endless whiners, get on the bus and enjoy the ride

It'll be open top by next May 😛

pretty clever one really with the option to buy thing already agreed. Big incentive for him to prove his worth for us, a ready made replacement for Lewis if he leaves and/or McCallum isnt up to scratch and the flexibility for him to play lcb in a back 5 meaning even if he can't find a way at lb like Heise, he has another way in.

Weather he's any good or not, who knows but he's a good age and low risk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

What is strange is Quintilla seemingly dribbled or carried the ball up the field very little, when this is a large part of the way Norwich play.

Perhaps we intend to tweak the way that we play, and go up with a style which is better suited to staying up in the Premier League without having a huge budget.

I do wonder though whether these data boffins / wyscout analysts etc. would have been able to tell us that Christophe Zimmermann was good enough for the Premier League when he was playing in the 4th tier of German football with a five figure price tag though, because I suspect not. 

If all this data could predict that Mahrez would become top class then Leicester wouldn't have got him for £500k. I'd like to think there is still an element of football people watching football games to find players that they like the look of, or has football really gone fully into algorithmic trading? The more I read on here the more I think it may be heading that way. 

I hate the idea of a player doing something in a game several times just to get x stat up or y stat up so that an AI robot recommends him to a data analyst.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Of course they would, you simply count all the 'stats' input them into saddo.coms analytical algorithm whizz box and out comes the answer

what could possibly go wrong ?

ask any A level student 😜

www.saddo.com - where numbers can give you a better picture of the game than ever your eyes can

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I should imagine that at least makes him significantly better than Heise.

If he's a Lewis replacement then we'll see, but its not like we've seen the best of Jamal Lewis over the past 8 months is it, fans of his new team will have to be excited about his form in 2019. Lewis will have a good career because he's a pure athlete, but we've never really seen much end product from him no matter what wyscout stats say about his number of dribbles per game or his heat map.

I'd argue that he is one of the more over rated of our players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Of course they would, you simply count all the 'stats' input them into saddo.coms analytical algorithm whizz box and out comes the answer

what could possibly go wrong ?

ask any A level student 😜

Blimey, I just liked a post by Bill. 

Pigs can fly! 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I should imagine that at least makes him significantly better than Heise.

If he's a Lewis replacement then we'll see, but its not like we've seen the best of Jamal Lewis over the past 8 months is it, fans of his new team will have to be excited about his form in 2019. Lewis will have a good career because he's a pure athlete, but we've never really seen much end product from him no matter what wyscout stats say about his number of dribbles per game or his heat map.

I'd argue that he is one of the more over rated of our players.

For me Lewis had his best season when he initially broke into the side and though he is a very good player i think Aarons is better than him. I would be surprised if Lewis is still here by the start of the season but who knows. The agreed fee for Quintilla sounds very competitive but of course we have not seen him yet. I would agree that despite a lot of runs down the flank not a lot of end product has come from Lewis play, whether that is because his crosses could have been better or that we did not have enough men in the box is open to debate. As for Quintilla the ball is in his court to get into the side and do well. We cannot afford to have Lewis out of the side if he is still with us as his transfer value would evaporate. One thing catching the eye in the PL in a poor side quite another not getting into the side in the championship. To me this is the green light for him going with Quintilla and Mc Callum fighting it out for the starting birth in a few weeks time

1 minute ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

To me this is the green light for him going with Quintilla and Mc Callum fighting it out for the starting birth in a few weeks time

Weren't it said that McCullum was available for loan though?

Not sure, i would be surprised if he did. he is young but we have paid decent money. He got promoted with Coventry and i am sure they would start him in the championship this coming season.  If Lewis goes Mc Cullum and Quintilla would be great competition for each other both with a point to prove

10 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

For me Lewis had his best season when he initially broke into the side and though he is a very good player i think Aarons is better than him. I would be surprised if Lewis is still here by the start of the season but who knows. The agreed fee for Quintilla sounds very competitive but of course we have not seen him yet. I would agree that despite a lot of runs down the flank not a lot of end product has come from Lewis play, whether that is because his crosses could have been better or that we did not have enough men in the box is open to debate. As for Quintilla the ball is in his court to get into the side and do well. We cannot afford to have Lewis out of the side if he is still with us as his transfer value would evaporate. One thing catching the eye in the PL in a poor side quite another not getting into the side in the championship. To me this is the green light for him going with Quintilla and Mc Callum fighting it out for the starting birth in a few weeks time

I actually think Lewis did better than most others last season and was definitely one of our better performers post the re-start (not a high bar) but he does have a few weaknesses, namely getting caught under the ball at the far post, lack of end product when at the other end (gets in so many good positions to cross it but doesn't find a player) and also when his confidence is low a tendency to turn back inside rather than use his pace.

That said he's a great athlete and has an awful lot of potential as I am sure his defensive play will only improve with experience. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Weren't it said that McCullum was available for loan though?

I would assume McCullum will be available for loan if Lewis stays but probably won;t be if he goes.