Sign in to follow this  
Bill

League Cup draw Tues 10.30 am

The games to be played Sat 5th Sept

and we could draw the binners

the other cup draw tomorrow is the one where our U21's are in a group with three others - no binners though

best draw would be group H which has PBoro, Cambs and Burton

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Very gladly take Peterborough or Cambridge

Feel uneasy about us playing Ipswich after our.. recent form

I'd love us to draw Ipswich at home. Imagine how satisfying it'd be to beat them with our reserves. We're a million miles better than them. Don't want to draw them away, though, as they'd actually make some money through gate receipts as all the farmhands would turn up for their 'cup final'.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I'd love us to draw Ipswich at home. Imagine how satisfying it'd be to beat them with our reserves. We're a million miles better than them. Don't want to draw them away, though, as they'd actually make some money through gate receipts as all the farmhands would turn up for their 'cup final'.

Placheta vs Stephen Ward? Sign me up to be fair, very.. interesting matchup 😉

35 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Very gladly take Peterborough or Cambridge

Feel uneasy about us playing Ipswich after our.. recent form

have another read of the OP

The winner of the competition will qualify for the play-off round of the 2021-22 Uefa Europa Conference League - Another of Uefa's idea of getting the little guys a game while ensuring more the top clubs get in the top competition.

Also our game as we are a championship might not be played on the 5th of September due to it being an international break

Draw is from 10am tomorrow

Edited by KiwiScot

12 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

You think fans will be allowed in wolfie ?

2 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You think fans will be allowed in wolfie ?

Social distancing should be a piece of cake at Portman Road, I'm sure they'd make an exception 😉

• Haha 1

Sadly the competition did not greatly capture the imagination even when fans were allowed into grounds. I used to go to all home games in the various cup games but often noticed that the vast bulk of people sitting around me were not the ones i see on league days and it was a good opportunity for youngsters who cannot get tickets for league games to come and watch their team. With no fans and  little prospect of winning the competition and prize money particular in the  early stages being not a lot more than nothing it is for this season at least a total irrelevance to most people, indeed an opportunity to get players injured like Klose last season

Can't really say I give a rat's **** about the League Cup this time out. In a heavily congested season such as this one, I'd much prefer it if we kept our eyes on the main prize, namely the Premier League.

Let the reserves and youngsters have the matches, as well as any seniors needing match time after injury/suspension. If it gets a run going, then maybe we can adjust the sights.

Love to know what the percentages are for home and away cup games, we always seem to be away nowadays, like wise first and last games of the season 

27 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Can't really say I give a rat's **** about the League Cup this time out. In a heavily congested season such as this one, I'd much prefer it if we kept our eyes on the main prize, namely the Premier League.

Let the reserves and youngsters have the matches, as well as any seniors needing match time after injury/suspension. If it gets a run going, then maybe we can adjust the sights.

Agreed.

Considering the first four rounds of the League Cup are due to be played over consecutive weeks in September, I wouldn't be at all disappointed to fall at the first hurdle and concentrate on getting some early momentum and points on the board in the league without the distraction of the League Cup every three or four days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

When will the game be played?

It's scheduled to be on the same weekend an the international matches.

Club website says

The match will be played on the weekend of Saturday, September 5, although could be moved if both clubs agree an alternate date because of international fixtures.

City U21's are drawn in group F with

Cheltenham Town, Newport County, Plymouth Argyle

a few hideous journeys there

3 hours ago, Bill said:

City U21's are drawn in group F with

Cheltenham Town, Newport County, Plymouth Argyle

a few hideous journeys there

In the 'regionalised' draw.

• Haha 1

Just now, Foxy2600 said:

Why only 70 Teams ? I am obviously missing something or can't count ??

It's how it is always done. All EFL teams except the two relegated from the Premier League play in the first round, so 70 teams.

35 teams progress, and they'll be joined in the second round by the teams who finished 18th and 19th in the Premier League last season, plus the 13 Premier League teams which aren't in Europe, which makes 50 teams in total.

For the third round, the 25 teams who progress will be joined by the seven teams who are in Europe, for a total of 32 teams. From there, it's a straight knockout.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's how it is always done. All EFL teams except the two relegated from the Premier League play in the first round, so 70 teams.

35 teams progress, and they'll be joined in the second round by the teams who finished 18th and 19th in the Premier League last season, plus the 13 Premier League teams which aren't in Europe, which makes 50 teams in total.

For the third round, the 25 teams who progress will be joined by the seven teams who are in Europe, for a total of 32 teams. From there, it's a straight knockout.

Marvellous....thank you - well explained! 🙂 I shall now be happy to see how Harrogate and Barrow progress...

55 minutes ago, Kathy said:

In the 'regionalised' draw.

for the league clubs it is, for us I cannot see any U21 team having to travel further

and round trips of 400, 500 and 650 miles respectively (approx)

I can almost hear some of the younger players

"are we nearly there " ☺️

Could'nt be less interested in a game or competition if I tried!!!It will be won by one of the big 4. Just good for giving the squad players a game and hoping for the best.Practice game with no crowd.

Happy with the draw they will give us a good game. Farke will go with a strong team giving a few players an opportunity. Otbc.

Being that early the game will serve as a good pre season 'friendly'

A chance for players to test themselves at the right level, without too much at stake as far as the result goes, so a good draw

19 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Club website says

The match will be played on the weekend of Saturday, September 5, although could be moved if both clubs agree an alternate date because of international fixtures.

There's paper talk this morning that games could be bought forward a week to avoid the clash with international week.

Edited by A Load of Squit

14 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

There's paper talk this morning that games could be bought forward a week to avoid the clash with international week.

We will still be in Germany the Sat before (29th) so it would have to be midweek