Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Skipp signs on loan

Potentially a great loan signing. Another defensive midfielder, highly rated, british and young so likely to adapt quickly.

Please we've got a couple of options in that central role and seem to have finally learned our lesson not to rely so heavily on Tettey

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Potentially a great loan signing. Another defensive midfielder, highly rated, british and young so likely to adapt quickly.

Please we've got a couple of options in that central role and seem to have finally learned our lesson not to rely so heavily on Tettey

TBF, I think we knew we shouldn’t rely on Tettey last season but Amadou turned out to be a disappointment.

5 minutes ago, yellow 63 said:

Hopefully fits in well,unlike the last Spurs chap we had (Marcus Edwards )

Or that Kane chap !

• Haha 3

Great player, hopefully will fit in.. But I have doubts.

A- Our history of loans with awful. We should never agree to loan any players in again

B- Spurs fans are all "he's our next captain and england world cup winner 0 percent chance of him ever signing for you when loan is done" so what's the point? I mean, we sure have enough midfielders.

Yes this may seem overaly negative but I am still happy to see such a clearly taltented youngster here

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Must be regarded highly amongst the Spurs fans as when he was announced as coming on against us there was a big cheer.

Very good signing, we do appear to have more than needed, be interesting who leaves in the next few weeks.

So can we see, Vrancic, Steipermann, Lietner, Trybull, Cantwell, Lewis and Aarons going? Not sure with all the new signings we need so many midfielders and Lewis, Aaron’s to cover any shortfalls

Expensive loan signing by all accounts - 1 million for the season - but have read some great things about him 🙂

10 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Skipp Hire(d).

Bring back Mike Walker. 😀

Rumor has it that Mike used to line up his skips in a 4-4-2 formation with overlapping wing-skips.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap

Don't know enough about him to say great or not but he does appear to have the energy we need. I think last season showed that our midfield were all one paced and it wasn't quick or energetic. Every post seemed to mention it.

My only reticence is that DF says if he works hard there will be opportunities. That doesn't sound like a starter to me.

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

A- Our history of loans with awful. We should never agree to loan any players in again

B- Spurs fans are all "he's our next captain and england world cup winner 0 percent chance of him ever signing for you when loan is done" so what's the point? I mean, we sure have enough midfielders.

Yes this may seem overaly negative but I am still happy to see such a clearly taltented youngster here

Tammy Abraham, Harry Wilson, Mason Mount, Tyrone Mings, Fikayo Tomori, Ben White, Jack Harrison, Harrison Reed, Matheus Pereira. 

All young(ish) players from the top of my head who have shone in the Championship over the last two seasons, and either got their sides promoted or reached the Playoff final.

Signing players on loan is just like any other signing: some work out, others don't.

• Like 1

If we paid a million quid just to loan a player for the season then we really wanted him. 

I'm excited by this one and have a good feeling about it. 

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Think its a fantastic signing.

me too

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

We’ve bought some duds too. Should we stop buying players as well?

• Like 2

Great signing by the club!

May point towards either Tommy trybull definitely going (shame in my opinion) or we have plans to let Sitti go out on loan.

What's that Charlie Gilmore doing? Is off on loan again have we heard?

My friends a big spurs fan and confirmed he’s very highly rated there. He was hoping Skipp would get a premier league loan this season. Says he’s a Harry Winks type player but better than Winks.

Will suit Farke’s style, neat and tidy and an aggressive passer of the ball. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Indy said:

So can we see, Vrancic, Steipermann, Lietner, Trybull, Cantwell, Lewis and Aarons going? Not sure with all the new signings we need so many midfielders and Lewis, Aaron’s to cover any shortfalls

Leitner and Trybull have already been told they can find new clubs. Vrancic looks like he's on shaky ground now, Stiepermann also, which would be a pity as his work in the hole in the Championship led to a great partnership with Pukki. I also think Stiepi would be improved with more pace around him as he's good at finding passes that set players free for assists.

And with Hernandez and Placheta around, we've certainly got pace.

10 minutes ago, WD40 said:

My friends a big spurs fan and confirmed he’s very highly rated there. He was hoping Skipp would get a premier league loan this season. Says he’s a Harry Winks type player but better than Winks.

Will suit Farke’s style, neat and tidy and an aggressive passer of the ball. 

`Tottenham fans seem to love Skipp, but I think it is a bit of frustration with Jose for not playing him. The more Skipp wasn't played the better Tottenham fans hyped him up to be. He is a neat passer (although isn't incisive) and a good tackler but he isn't anywhere near Winks' level quite yet.

In the FA Cup game against Norwich Tottenham fans were really excited that Skipp started, but I don't think he did a huge amount to stand out in that game. He's a good addition to Norwich's midfield, make no mistake about that, but he isn't probably at the level many Spurs fans seem to be making out.

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Leitner and Trybull have already been told they can find new clubs. Vrancic looks like he's on shaky ground now, Stiepermann also, which would be a pity as his work in the hole in the Championship led to a great partnership with Pukki. I also think Stiepi would be improved with more pace around him as he's good at finding passes that set players free for assists.

And with Hernandez and Placheta around, we've certainly got pace.

It looks likely Leitner & Trybull will be moved on. Vrancic may go too, but he could provide a very useful option over the coming season. The same could be said for Marco; he's already proven himself a tricky customer at this level, in tandem with Teemu. However all 4 looked incapable of "stepping up" at Prem level on a consistent basis. Stieps is 29 & Mario is 31. Webber has openly said he's attempting to put a squad together with players who can improve and make an impact should promotion be achieved again. All 4 players mentioned would surely know that, if we do 'bounce back,' they would be out of the picture anyway. Would Vrancic & Stiepermann be willing to put in the hard yards this year with an expectancy of being moved on should the club succeed? Perhaps they would!

Investing in youth & looking to the future is hugely commendable. But we also need experienced players who've done it before for the here & now. 

1 minute ago, paddycanary said:

It looks likely Leitner & Trybull will be moved on. Vrancic may go too, but he could provide a very useful option over the coming season. The same could be said for Marco; he's already proven himself a tricky customer at this level, in tandem with Teemu. However all 4 looked incapable of "stepping up" at Prem level on a consistent basis. Stieps is 29 & Mario is 31. Webber has openly said he's attempting to put a squad together with players who can improve and make an impact should promotion be achieved again. All 4 players mentioned would surely know that, if we do 'bounce back,' they would be out of the picture anyway. Would Vrancic & Stiepermann be willing to put in the hard yards this year with an expectancy of being moved on should the club succeed? Perhaps they would!

Investing in youth & looking to the future is hugely commendable. But we also need experienced players who've done it before for the here & now. 

I'd certainly agree that Vrancic didn't make the step-up and doesn't look likely to at 31. Stiepi was an odd one. He didn't step up too well but for me, he suffered somewhat from having to be forced back further so he was never as close to Pukki, and it robbed him of a lot of his effectiveness.

I suppose I mean Vrancic - or indeed the defensive midfield in general - never offered enough stability for attacking midfielders to attack with more abandon and as a result they were caught in two minds a lot.

Certainly agree that both Vrancic and Stiepermann would be excellent squad players at this level. Proven quality at this level.

Never seen him play so can not comment. Hopefully will work out. Got Drmic's number so fingers crossed....Need a centre back and striker please. The two areas we really need to sort.

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd certainly agree that Vrancic didn't make the step-up and doesn't look likely to at 31. Stiepi was an odd one. He didn't step up too well but for me, he suffered somewhat from having to be forced back further so he was never as close to Pukki, and it robbed him of a lot of his effectiveness.

I suppose I mean Vrancic - or indeed the defensive midfield in general - never offered enough stability for attacking midfielders to attack with more abandon and as a result they were caught in two minds a lot.

Certainly agree that both Vrancic and Stiepermann would be excellent squad players at this level. Proven quality at this level.

While we currently seem to have an abundance of midfield players on the books, quite a few will surely be gone by October, both permanently & out on loan. We were pretty much outclassed in midfield throughout the season, and all these signings seem to acknowledge that. Of the midfielders, we could possibly see all of these play elsewhere this season: Sitti, Thompson, Adshead, Gilmour, Matthew Dennis, Fitzpatrick, Josh Martin, Vrancic, Leitner, Trybull, Stiepermann, Buendia & Cantwell.

Which would leave Tettey, McLean, Sorensen, Skipp, Dowell, Placheta, Hernandez & Rupp as senior options. 

Of that potential list, Buendia, Stiepermann & Vrancic would need to be kept around. If Cantwell stays, all the better. But the "project/model" requires players to be sold when their stock is high to keep the conveyor financed. Even if only one or two of the young signings makes the grade and are eventually sold on for 10m+, it justifies the system. Covid-19 has skewed things a bit, but in general Webber's investing in the "root" looks to be working well.