Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Jacob Murphy

3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Pace.... We lacked it last season. He has it in bucketfuls... It's a yes from me

I would like to see more pace in midfield because our midfielders are not the most mobile.  More pace up front wouldn't hurt.  I would rather have a forward with more end product and slow though as opposed to pacey, gets into a good position and wastes it.

3 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

Placheta gives us that option now, with Hernandez as well, I suspect that fills our quota for pacey wide players.

Can never have enough imo... Covers injuries etc. Onel was out for ages and we missed him.

Need some defensive muscle ...

3 hours ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

He posted a similar number of goals and assists last season for Sheffield Wednesday as he did the season we sold him.

I don't disagree that it is probably agent talk but a little harsh to say he had one good season where he overperformed.

I must admit that i had not realised how decent a season he had last year at the owls who were a struggling side. I had recalled that he had a pretty ordinary time at WBA the season before. The stats that you have highlighted has perhaps made me reconsider his suitability to us albeit his wages and or transfer fee would be problematic. I think he has 1 season left on his contract and is on £40000 a week plus in wages. From Newcastles perspective if they do not sell him this season they will get no fee and the best they can achieve is reducing the wage bill. I do not think there will be a single championship club in the current climate that will agree to much more than half that figure. As for a transfer fee that is subjective  transfer supermarket put him on £3.5 million.  If we loaned him i suppose there is the prospect of him being a free agent, but to the highest bidder  if we bought him  the transfer fee if it was in that £3.5 ball park may ne  achievable but he would have to be prepared to slash his wages

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I must admit that i had not realised how decent a season he had last year at the owls who were a struggling side. I had recalled that he had a pretty ordinary time at WBA the season before. The stats that you have highlighted has perhaps made me reconsider his suitability to us albeit his wages and or transfer fee would be problematic. I think he has 1 season left on his contract and is on £40000 a week plus in wages. From Newcastles perspective if they do not sell him this season they will get no fee and the best they can achieve is reducing the wage bill. I do not think there will be a single championship club in the current climate that will agree to much more than half that figure. As for a transfer fee that is subjective  transfer supermarket put him on £3.5 million.  If we loaned him i suppose there is the prospect of him being a free agent, but to the highest bidder  if we bought him  the transfer fee if it was in that £3.5 ball park may ne  achievable but he would have to be prepared to slash his wages

I think Newcastle are screwed and will have to accept a big hit. If he is entering the last year of his contract, he'll know there isn't anyone willing to pay £40k for him, so even if someone was prepared to put up a transfer fee Newcastle can stomach, Jacob would be within his rights to reject it if the buying club could not get close to his current wage.

I suspect Newcastle will be paying some of his wages for this season and then watching him walk away for free at the end of the year and left to lick their wounds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

If it is true a loan would make most sense particularly with a year left on his contract.

Yes his loan at West Brom didn't quite go as expected but his Sheffield Wednesday one seemed to be him finding his feet again and playing more regularly after not doing so since he left us.

I know it is football but it is a sad sign of the times when you think this lad at 25 who has achieved at best a modest amount in his career has probably been paid £8m upwards in wages for the 4 year contract since he left us. Provided he has not P-----d it all up the wall and i very much doubt it then he is set up for life compared to mere mortals. That being the case what is his priority in life as regards work going forward, get his best deal or actually settle for a club, area and lifestyle where he may be happy and at ease for the next few years of his career. That may not be with us, albeit i would not be surprised if he  is attracted to a move back to Norfolk. If that is the case it would depend on various factors not least his current club and our club and how much we would /not want him and the finances. I agree Newcastle are shafted which ever way they go, but they are a PL side and can take the hit. I suppose any fee a buying club, however modest may give is better than nothing which will be the position at the end of his contract in a years time. As for wages, if he really wanted a move here both Norwich and Newcastle could cut the difference for one season only and he could also volunteer to give up a chunk of his last years contract  in order to be happy. It would need all parties to be pragmatic. He could hold out for a Bosman next season, but with COVID about he may have a shock as to how many clubs have money spare to pay in wages and signing on fees, and should Norwich get promotion they may not want him then

I think this is a move I'd be against.

For me, both Murphy brothers are all or nothing players. They either were single handedly winning us games or absolutely absent. I would prefer if we sign someone more capable of impacting the game consistently.

52 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I know it is football but it is a sad sign of the times when you think this lad at 25 who has achieved at best a modest amount in his career has probably been paid £8m upwards in wages for the 4 year contract since he left us. Provided he has not P-----d it all up the wall and i very much doubt it then he is set up for life compared to mere mortals. That being the case what is his priority in life as regards work going forward, get his best deal or actually settle for a club, area and lifestyle where he may be happy and at ease for the next few years of his career. That may not be with us, albeit i would not be surprised if he  is attracted to a move back to Norfolk. If that is the case it would depend on various factors not least his current club and our club and how much we would /not want him and the finances. I agree Newcastle are shafted which ever way they go, but they are a PL side and can take the hit. I suppose any fee a buying club, however modest may give is better than nothing which will be the position at the end of his contract in a years time. As for wages, if he really wanted a move here both Norwich and Newcastle could cut the difference for one season only and he could also volunteer to give up a chunk of his last years contract  in order to be happy. It would need all parties to be pragmatic. He could hold out for a Bosman next season, but with COVID about he may have a shock as to how many clubs have money spare to pay in wages and signing on fees, and should Norwich get promotion they may not want him then

Josh and Jacob have been awesome for us. Proper role models for youngsters coming into the game. They were here for over 10 years and have always been grateful for what our club did for them. They both were sold for over 10m so our club also did very well out of them. The whole story is a great example of how promoting youth can be a real success for player and club.

Jacob was a guest at one of our forums in 2016 where he told us their mum still looked after their money and gave them each an allowance. So hopefully they're still well grounded since they've been split up and moved on. They were so supportive of each other all the time they were here.

Having said all of that I'm not sure about any return. It would be a shame if it all went wrong and soured what is pretty much a perfect story.

• Like 3

To be fair, as others pointed out, he had a better season last time than I thought.  Still can't see it happening.  Any move would most likely be a loan and unless we lose several players, he'll be on the bench.  With him being in the last year of his contract you would expect that he would want to play to put himself in the shop window

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Josh and Jacob have been awesome for us. Proper role models for youngsters coming into the game. They were here for over 10 years and have always been grateful for what our club did for them. They both were sold for over 10m so our club also did very well out of them. The whole story is a great example of how promoting youth can be a real success for player and club.

Jacob was a guest at one of our forums in 2016 where he told us their mum still looked after their money and gave them each an allowance. So hopefully they're still well grounded since they've been split up and moved on. They were so supportive of each other all the time they were here.

Having said all of that I'm not sure about any return. It would be a shame if it all went wrong and soured what is pretty much a perfect story.

It is a nice story.  Especially as most of us will have watched the FA youth cup run/win.  It had seemed that we hadn't had many promising youngsters coming through the ranks for a while and even though they were the only two that ever played first team football for us regularly from that that youth side, it was still good to see.  We got some decent value from them as players and then in transfer fees.

I believe if we look back we might think we were disappointed with the twins performances for us. I think we assumed the form they showed as 17 year olds would just naturally flow into senior football. But it only happened now and again.

We received good money for them and should be grateful for that.

Would Jacob be any better than Onel? It isn't obvious he would.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I believe if we look back we might think we were disappointed with the twins performances for us. I think we assumed the form they showed as 17 year olds would just naturally flow into senior football. But it only happened now and again.

We received good money for them and should be grateful for that.

Would Jacob be any better than Onel? It isn't obvious he would.

I'd hope that any winger incoming now would be to allow Cantwell or Buendia to move into the number 10 role.

Because with the polish lad we now have 4 + Josh Martin.

Of course, one could be outgoing. Hopefully not.

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Of course he could always agree to forego some owed wages to make the move happen, like Darren Huckerby did when moving from Man City.

Jordan Rhodes also took a pay cut to come here on loan.

If he's miserable at Newcastle then that may suit him. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

17 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'd hope that any winger incoming now would be to allow Cantwell or Buendia to move into the number 10 role.

Because with the polish lad we now have 4 + Josh Martin.

Of course, one could be outgoing. Hopefully not.

I would agree about the No10 role. I said it all last season.

11 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I would agree about the No10 role. I said it all last season.

Its Buendia's natural position, I'd like to see him there feeding Pukki.

Like with Jordan Rhodes, Webber may say "well the best we can do is take him off your hands but there will be no transfer fee". Maybe chuck in a few million, Maybe not. He only has a year on his contract and it's a gamble will be the point. A loan possibly, but they will want the majority of wages covered. 

Has to be unlikely this will happen. 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Twins have a special bond and maybe the best of them will be seen when they are at the same club. They are sufficiently different that they can both be accomodated in a team, so maybe that will happen one day, allowing the connection between them to flourish in a single team.  Don't want it to be us though, they need to move on.  Needs someone who knows them well and appreciate their abilities to take them on and let them off their leash.

If both Emi and Todd were to leave (which I doubt), I think we could do a lot worse. He obviously loves the club and I think he'd be happy to be a squad player and not kick up too much of a fuss. If we sign him on the cheap due to his contract situation and he does well, we could end up either cashing in on him again, or having another Academy product in the side. What's not to like?

As things stand, though, we have Emi, Todd, Onel, Dowell, Sinani, Placheta and Martin competing for three advanced roles. It's possible that we could sign one more if either Emi or Todd go, and Martin goes out on loan. That would leave two players per position: Emi or Todd, plus, Onel, Dowell, Sinani, Placheta and Murphy.

Oh hang on, forgot about Stiepi...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sideshow Tim said:

Mulbarton Co-op will he pleased to see him back! 

To lazy tracking back so I can't see him in Farke's plans to be honest. 

Was Jacob a regular at the Co-op then? They do have excellent offers especially the 3 for a fiver range. 

• Haha 1

He was and I remember being in there whilst him and his brother were walking around with a trolley of food. An old boy had a go at them for the rubbish in their trolley saying that they were professional footballers and should be eating better! 

John Ruddy and Johnny Howdon were regulars too.

Ohh those were that days! 😂 

12 minutes ago, Sideshow Tim said:

He was and I remember being in there whilst him and his brother were walking around with a trolley of food. An old boy had a go at them for the rubbish in their trolley saying that they were professional footballers and should be eating better! 

John Ruddy and Johnny Howdon were regulars too.

Ohh those were that days! 😂 

Did Mulbarton Co-op replace Asda as the go to place to spot Norwich City footballers ?

20 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Its Buendia's natural position, I'd like to see him there feeding Pukki.

Think that would be Stiepermann close to the exit door then if Buendia ends up in that position. Problem is, who'd give us a more physical outlet - unless the aim is to use pace as the outlet instead of strength?

As for Murphy coming back, no. He served us reasonably well back then but as others have said, he wasn't consistent enough.

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Did Mulbarton Co-op replace Asda as the go to place to spot Norwich City footballers ?

No Til. They lived in Mulbarton 😊 

17 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

What a Mulbarton opportunity only for you to let it slip through your fingers...

26 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

What a Mulbarton opportunity only for you to let it slip through your fingers...

Never even gave it a thought until you mentioned it such is his insignificance.

On 14/08/2020 at 08:57, Yorkshire Canary said:

I see we are linked with a loan move for him in todays press. I  am sad the lads career seems to have hit the buffers since he left here but they have in a big way having made no impression at Newcastle and then a series of championship loans when he has hardly   ripped up the form books. We hit the jack pot when we sold him and his wages must be upwards of £40000 a week. An emotional one given his local connections but coming back rarely works.

Tend to agree that returns very rarely work and I'm not sure it would in his case - feel a bit sorry for him in a way, he made the classic mistake of a youngster on the rise moving too quickly - and I dare say we were equally happy to get that amount for him at the time. But another season playing regularly, even in the Champs, would have done far more for his development than sitting on the bench at Newcastle.

Would like to see him get his career back on track because I think with a run in the right team to rebuild his confidence he could be pretty decent player, but I don't think it will be with us.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be against it from sentiment point of view and maybe Jacob would be a good 'role model' for our new youngsters. The issue I have is that we don't really need him from a cover point of view. We probably need another CB and for a similar wage as what we are taking about for Jacob, Gibson on loan from Burnley (if he's still available), would offer better value.

We also need another striker and backup for Krul.

On 14/08/2020 at 18:52, Feedthewolf said:

If both Emi and Todd were to leave (which I doubt), I think we could do a lot worse. He obviously loves the club and I think he'd be happy to be a squad player and not kick up too much of a fuss. If we sign him on the cheap due to his contract situation and he does well, we could end up either cashing in on him again, or having another Academy product in the side. What's not to like?

As things stand, though, we have Emi, Todd, Onel, Dowell, Sinani, Placheta and Martin competing for three advanced roles. It's possible that we could sign one more if either Emi or Todd go, and Martin goes out on loan. That would leave two players per position: Emi or Todd, plus, Onel, Dowell, Sinani, Placheta and Murphy.

Oh hang on, forgot about Stiepi...

It wouldn't surprise me if Josh Martin did go out on loan, perhaps to Holland like Cantwell, still looked very raw in his appearances at the end of last season with Idah looking more equipped to break through this season.

We still get people saying that Sinani is a striker, looked like an inside forward on the YouTube clips I've seen but some people seem to think he's here to play through the middle? Could be a bit of a conversion project that, he's got pace and can finish which is a start. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten