Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Jacob Murphy

I see we are linked with a loan move for him in todays press. I  am sad the lads career seems to have hit the buffers since he left here but they have in a big way having made no impression at Newcastle and then a series of championship loans when he has hardly   ripped up the form books. We hit the jack pot when we sold him and his wages must be upwards of £40000 a week. An emotional one given his local connections but coming back rarely works. Given he is now 25 i see no merit in signing him  on a permanent basis as he is not worth half the fee we got. Even on loan  given our wage structure  even if Newcastle agreed a 50% reduction it would still put him up with some of the higher earners. Could he bounce back with home comforts possibly but i feel  that boat has left and we need to be signing players in form  not ones that are surplus to requirements

1 minute ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I see we are linked with a loan move for him in todays press. I  am sad the lads career seems to have hit the buffers since he left here but they have in a big way having made no impression at Newcastle and then a series of championship loans when he has hardly   ripped up the form books. We hit the jack pot when we sold him and his wages must be upwards of £40000 a week. An emotional one given his local connections but coming back rarely works. Given he is now 25 i see no merit in signing him  on a permanent basis as he is not worth half the fee we got. Even on loan  given our wage structure  even if Newcastle agreed a 50% reduction it would still put him up with some of the higher earners. Could he bounce back with home comforts possibly but i feel  that boat has left and we need to be signing players in form  not ones that are surplus to requirements

The truth is he’s just not that good, you’d hope most of the new signings are a lot better. 

• Like 2

I can’t see Norwich being interested in him at all to be honest. This rumour looks agent generated and a general ‘come get me plea’. 

Jacob had one good season where he massively over performed compared to his normal outputs. Even by the end of that season he wasn’t looking that good. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The truth is he’s just not that good, you’d hope most of the new signings are a lot better. 

My brother in law is a Newcastle ST holder and said the confidence drained out of him after a few games, the dilemma for a lot of players that big money move, it has made him financially secure but the jump was far to big for him and has been said before 50% of sporting success is in the head.

Usain Bolt couldn’t 

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Pace.... We lacked it last season. He has it in bucketfuls... It's a yes from me

Usain Bolt was rejected by Gold Coast Mariners and he wasn’t that bad to be fair. 

13 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Pace.... We lacked it last season. He has it in bucketfuls... It's a yes from me

Placheta gives us that option now, with Hernandez as well, I suspect that fills our quota for pacey wide players.

It is sad but at the same time, it is often a big fish in a small pond will then move and to another pond and then that fish is the small fish.

TBH I wish him well finding a new club but I am very happy selling players when they are exceeding their really ability and knowing that it may not be replicated etc.

Not a move for us and wish him well finding a new club. We will be an important step in his career but this is likely to happen when in the premier league you are dealing with the best players in the world and transfers budgets meaning they can get the best world class players.

42 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I can’t see Norwich being interested in him at all to be honest. This rumour looks agent generated and a general ‘come get me plea’. 

Jacob had one good season where he massively over performed compared to his normal outputs. Even by the end of that season he wasn’t looking that good. 

He posted a similar number of goals and assists last season for Sheffield Wednesday as he did the season we sold him.

I don't disagree that it is probably agent talk but a little harsh to say he had one good season where he overperformed.

• Like 3

If he can get a run of games under his belt who he could become a decent player he was hotly tipped for when he was younger. Thats the thing now. He’s 25, in 3-4yrs is when a footballer hits his peak and his career has just stagnated. Needs to find a more settled club as the loans can’t be helping his cause. 

I wouldn’t be against him coming back and he would fit the homegrown quota. Like people say i feel his agent is just trying to drum up some interest. 

The Murphys were both massively one trick ponies who were never going to be any good when the defenders were quicker. 

I would guess that Jacob is the player Webber was referring to when he mentioned in a recent interview about a player we sold calling him in tears wanting to come back. 

As a back up option I would consider it, but I would prefer our use of loans to be more effective than that. Defintely wouldn't splash out any cash in bringing him back. 

Josh always struck me as more of a Farke player than Jacob- bit more finesse. 

I think both will find their level as upper level Championship/occasionally lower premier league players which isnt to be sniffed at.

56 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

I would guess that Jacob is the player Webber was referring to when he mentioned in a recent interview about a player we sold calling him in tears wanting to come back.  

Far too lazy with tracking back so would leave the full back with too much work to do defensively, head dropped too easily, concentration and focus fluctuated a lot, and bottled every 50/50.

Josh Murphy was a bit better in terms of team working and putting in a shift but he was also a bit of a wimp when it came to getting stuck in. 

I'd personally hope that we've moved on from the pair of them, although if Farke/Webber did fancy signing a Murphy twin I'd hope it was Josh who was always considered the better player going through the academy years until Jacob very briefly but temporarily overtook him. Josh is a bit more well rounded and disciplined on the pitch. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I think both of the Murphy's are decent players and they would be OK for a squad place, not likely to get in the start but could be useful in the squad. However, I don't think either really suit Farke's style, they are far too prone to a speculative shot than the build up that we usually aim for.

I wouldn't be upset if we got them, but I don't think they are anywhere near a priority (although, I would like another fast winger, just not at that expected price).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Didn't he get called out for not training hard enough? 

Also far too lazy with tracking back so would leave the full back with too much work to do defensively, head dropped too easily, concentration and focus fluctuated a lot, and bottled every 50/50.

Josh Murphy was a bit better in terms of team working and putting in a shift but he was also a bit of a wimp when it came to getting stuck in. 

I'd personally hope that we've moved on from the pair of them, although if Farke/Webber did fancy signing a Murphy twin I'd hope it was Josh who was always considered the better player going through the academy years until Jacob very briefly but temporarily overtook him. 

I thought it was slightly different? Jacob was more workman like, capable of some use for tracking back and defending but Josh was better attacking and relatively useless at defending or tracking back?

1 hour ago, Grant Holts Moustache said:

He posted a similar number of goals and assists last season for Sheffield Wednesday as he did the season we sold him.

I don't disagree that it is probably agent talk but a little harsh to say he had one good season where he overperformed.

Taken from player stats, he scored 9 goals for Sheffield Wednesday and made 6 assists. Thats not a bad return for 36 games. Im not usually in favour of players returning, but wouldnt be against it. I doubt its true however and it just agents being agents.

Young players are hyped up, their agents hype them up, the media hype them up and sometimes we hype them up too much as well. That the Murphys have real talent is unquestionable, but were they worth their big signings - well yes, you have to say they were - but they still had a lot to learn - and they were not the finished article when they left. Maybe Jacob thought he would get in and stay in the first team at Newcastle, but it didn't work out - he did ok there to start with and was poplular for a while, but he couldn't sustain it, whether it  was because of the competition for places or the demands of playing for such a duff club.   

Josh seems to have done ok for Cardiff and maybe championship is both their level, at least until they get another chance at the PL maybe in a year or two and show they have developed their games better. For us though it would be a backward step - and for them too - we have moved on and they should too.

Edited by lake district canary

28 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Taken from player stats, he scored 9 goals for Sheffield Wednesday and made 6 assists. Thats not a bad return for 36 games. Im not usually in favour of players returning, but wouldnt be against it. I doubt its true however and it just agents being agents.

Why is he being linked to us then, and not them, if it went so well for him there? 

His problem isn't a lack of a threat in the final third, it's his complete unwillingness to do anything in the other two thirds.  

Cantwell a breathe of fresh air compared to both of them. When Cantwell is having a bad game and making mistakes he is at least getting on the ball to make that mistake, those were the games where the Murphy's would go completely missing and hide from the ball.

We need tougher players, they are both Fairweather... Great when the team are playing well, heads drop and they shirk when they are not. 

We should move on. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

36 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I thought it was slightly different? Jacob was more workman like, capable of some use for tracking back and defending but Josh was better attacking and relatively useless at defending or tracking back?

Jacob scores more goals. 

Wouldn't be a bad loan signing and it might be that Jacob delivers that little bit extra when playing for Norwich, who knows.

Wouldn't be up for paying his rumoured wages etc mind.

The grass is not always greener and hopefully our coveted youngsters will have this in the back of their minds when considering a move based on money alone. 

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why is he being linked to us then, and not them, if it went so well for him there? 

He is.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/jacob-murphy-middlesbrough-sheffield-wednesday-18765597

Quote from Monk too:

When asked to assess Murphy's contribution at the end of last season, Monk said: "I’ve been pleased with him. I think his performance levels have been much more consistent."

"I think there is still a bit of roughness and rawness to him in certain situations but I think his attitude towards the work has been fantastic and I have really enjoyed working with him."

It’s also worth noting that a happy player can be a totally new person. Sometimes if a player isn’t happy with home life or work life, mentally or emotionally troubled, then it massively affects their performance. Jacob coming home, in an environment he’s used to, may totally transform him. We know he’s got the talent. If it works out, then he’ll also be less likely to want to leave. It’s therefore a yes from me. 

42 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

His problem isn't a lack of a threat in the final third, it's his complete unwillingness to do anything in the other two thirds.  

Cantwell a breathe of fresh air compared to both of them. When Cantwell is having a bad game and making mistakes he is at least getting on the ball to make that mistake, those were the games where the Murphy's would go completely missing and hide from the ball.

We need tougher players, they are both Fairweather... Great when the team are playing well, heads drop and they shirk when they are not. 

We should move on. 

Because Sheffield Wednesday have no money and are only in for free transfers. I suspect he would be out of their reach financially if they were interested.

2 hours ago, Ekoku: The Ambassador Of The People said:

If he can get a run of games under his belt who he could become a decent player

Is 222 games not enough to become a decent player then, as that's more than Emi Buendia has played. 

Its half a career, there has to be a point where you cease to be a prospect before you stray into Jesse Lingard territory and I'd argue that a 25 year old with 222 professional appearances has passed that point.

He is what he is. I'd argue flawed. 

If Webber does move for him on loan I should imagine it will be to help with the homegrown quota, rather than him being the best option, I suppose that would make some sense if the wages are sensible.

I'd be ok with a loan, underwhelmed by permanent. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Usain Bolt couldn’t 

Usain Bolt was rejected by Gold Coast Mariners and he wasn’t that bad to be fair. 

True but he was not a professional football player....