Sign in to follow this  
NeymarSmith

Tall tale of an Ipswich fan...

Just been catching up with a work colleague who is an Ipswich fan (one of two)

Anyway, he was waxing lyrically about how this is a big year for the town's academy stars who have been plagued with injury and for those who had a breakthrough last season. 

By his reckoning - he said they have lots of potential premier League stars, who if hadn't been for injury and if they get 40 odd games under their belts this season, will all be worth as much as our "crown jewels" (which btw he said we/the media are over-rating as whole)

So he said (sorry if names aren't perfect) luke wolfendon, Andre dozzel, teddy bishop, Ben Norris, flyn downes, Lancaster and dobra and nydam (or similar) all are just a 40 game season away from premier League clubs.

So as I'm not sure, and for us to discuss, what are our thoughts on the above players (I know nothing about them apart from if they were any good they wouldn't be at town)

And before anyone says it, "yes, I am a binner 🙎‍♂️"

• Haha 2

I dare say they do have some decent prospects coming through, but so does everyone...the world is full of ‘players to watch out for’ who for one reason or another don’t mature as well as supporters hope.  If nothing else, Ipswich supporters are great at over-hyping their youngsters.
But even if these guys do come good for them this season, it’s a pretty huge step to assume they’ll jump straight into the PL, that is a bit of a stretch..players going from L1 to performing in PL is rather rare.

14 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Just been catching up with a work colleague who is an Ipswich fan (one of two)

Anyway, he was waxing lyrically about how this is a big year for the town's academy stars who have been plagued with injury and for those who had a breakthrough last season. 

By his reckoning - he said they have lots of potential premier League stars, who if hadn't been for injury and if they get 40 odd games under their belts this season, will all be worth as much as our "crown jewels" (which btw he said we/the media are over-rating as whole)

So he said (sorry if names aren't perfect) luke wolfendon, Andre dozzel, teddy bishop, Ben Norris, flyn downes, Lancaster and dobra and nydam (or similar) all are just a 40 game season away from premier League clubs.

But they said that last year though, about how they were going to rebuild in League One with their younger players, and they finished mid-table, being very inconsistent and getting bullied out of games.

Teddy Bishop was rumoured to have been interesting Premiership teams 5 years ago, but he's 24 now with a horrific injury record, Max Aarons at 20 has a similar number of games under his belt.

Well yeah, sound true enough to me. I just said if they were any good they would not be at ipswich. He was persistent though. Bless him.

He really raved about wolfenden, who after a Google seemed to have been linked to a few championship clubs and shef utd earlier in the year. 

Is he any good? Would he fit with us? Obviously he wouldn't join, or they wouldn't sell to us rather.

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I dare say they do have some decent prospects coming through, but so does everyone...the world is full of ‘players to watch out for’ who for one reason or another don’t mature as well as supporters hope.  If nothing else, Ipswich supporters are great at over-hyping their youngsters.
But even if these guys do come good for them this season, it’s a pretty huge step to assume they’ll jump straight into the PL, that is a bit of a stretch..players going from L1 to performing in PL is rather rare.

the thing is that any player who has 'made it' after being let go by the clueless binner

and the 'great hopes' flatter to deceive

Dozzell lives off his dad’s name and cannot even command a place in a failing L1 squad, they have not produced a keeper since 2005, Downes is another in the long line of players who supposedly are on the fringe of being signed by a PL club (but never do)

the problem is that the binners have been fed a diet of aged has beens and lower league never beens that anyone who is not  in that mould is thought to be a promising star... they are not

• Haha 1

I think Dobra is the one most likely to do very well and there is a bit of interest from clubs for Woolfenden and Downes, but not at the values the binners think they’re worth. Would be interesting to hear from @Bethnal Yellow and Green as to whether those players are as good as the supporters think.

Where the paupers lack is in the coaching -which explains why so many have succeeded after leaving poorman road

How much of Buendia, Zimbo and McLeans progress can be attributed to the coaching set up p as with the 'four' and now Idah and James ?

We are playing a longer game that's why we are locating and developing promising players rather than costly 'ready to go' players (as with B'mouth). Fine while it lasts, but over the cliff you go when if finally falls apart.

Remember that City stuck with Cat 1 when that money could have been spent on another player - the paupers were reliant on fans donations to keep their academy going

says it all

Very rare, if not pretty much unheard of, for a player to jump from League One to the Premier League (and actually play). 

Guess said Ipswich fan has seen their players linked to Prem clubs and not quite grasped that they want to put them in their U23 squad. 

This does remind me of Norwich fans when they were in League One who started raving about the academy players. In reality Korey Smith and Adeyemi weren’t the fantastic players they were made out to be, but looked decent at League One level. 

The gap between the Championship and League One is growing. Whereas we used to see clubs like Norwich, Southampton etc jumping straight from League One to the Prem it doesn’t really happen anymore. Teams coming up from League One are usually struggling against relegation. 

I don’t know anything about most of those Ipswich players, but it is very easy to over estimate how good your young players are in League One - which is an increasingly low quality League.

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Very rare, if not pretty much unheard of, for a player to jump from League One to the Premier League (and actually play). 

Guess said Ipswich fan has seen their players linked to Prem clubs and not quite grasped that they want to put them in their U23 squad. 

This does remind me of Norwich fans when they were in League One who started raving about the academy players. In reality Korey Smith and Adeyemi weren’t the fantastic players they were made out to be, but looked decent at League One level. 

The gap between the Championship and League One is growing. Whereas we used to see clubs like Norwich, Southampton etc jumping straight from League One to the Prem it doesn’t really happen anymore. Teams coming up from League One are usually struggling against relegation. 

I don’t know anything about most of those Ipswich players, but it is very easy to over estimate how good your young players are in League One - which is an increasingly low quality League.

I guess Dele Alli was the last obvious example. I don't think many of these Junior Binners™ will amount to much.

I would think that there are some posters on here that have a bit more knowledge about them than they’re letting on 😉

It's not about ability as such it's being able to deliver that ability consistently that the EPL teams require. 

30 minutes ago, ridgeman said:

Didn't they discard Nick Pope he has done alright.

Jack Marriott (Derby)

18 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Is he any good? Would he fit with us? Obviously he wouldn't join, or they wouldn't sell to us rather.

I bet he would and I'm sure they would if the offer was right. Unlikely to happen, unless he's seen as the junior member of the defensive options behind Zimmermann, Hanley et al, but it would be enjoyable to see.

Anyway, I think it's normal for fans of any club to rave about their youth prospects and build them up as future Premier League players. We're doing the same with Idah, Martin, McCallum, Thomas, Mumba etc. but usually only a small number make it, unless you have a rare 'golden generation' like we've just had.

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I bet he would and I'm sure they would if the offer was right. Unlikely to happen, unless he's seen as the junior member of the defensive options behind Zimmermann, Hanley et al, but it would be enjoyable to see.

Anyway, I think it's normal for fans of any club to rave about their youth prospects and build them up as future Premier League players. We're doing the same with Idah, Martin, McCallum, Thomas, Mumba etc. but usually only a small number make it, unless you have a rare 'golden generation' like we've just had.

Agreed I want to start taking more of an interest in our under 23s. Does anyone else bother? Or know where you can?

Does anyone know anyone else in our acamady who might come along or go loan to a league side this year?

Edited by NeymarSmith

err, no

no one here is expecting that the named players will become PL players

however all have shown potential during their league playing careers so far, rather than being judged on U18 games at poorman road

so it is not unrealistic to think that some of those might become first team regulars at some point, given our success at picking out promising young players

and the four are not some 'golden generation' either

merely a follow on from the Murphys, and Maddison

6 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

Agreed I want to start taking more of an interest in our under 23s. Does anyone else bother? Or know where you can?

Does anyone know anyone else in our acamady who might come along or go loan to a league side this year?

yep, to the first

Woolfenden looked half decent last time I saw him play. The rest haven't even proven themselves above midtable league one level. Downes? I think it was had an alright season last season but thats about it.

They're academy is on par with Colchester United. Ours is on par with Manchester United. 

I get Ipswich fans need something to be optimistic about but they've got a handful of mid-table championship players at best!

2 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

If they have so many premier league quality players, how comes they couldn't get out of league one? 

They’re blaming the manager for that one 😁

10 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

If they have so many premier league quality players, how comes they couldn't get out of league one? 

People in glass houses. Not sure that we can ask that question whilst believing that the majority of our players are 25m+ players.

8 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

People in glass houses. Not sure that we can ask that question whilst believing that the majority of our players are 25m+ players.

I do not believe the majority of our players are worth 25m+ and i don't believe Ipswich town are fielding a side that has 6 premier league quality stars amongst it's contingent. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

I'll give your mate Woolfendeen, he is class.

Flynn Downes may be the next Korey Smith, set for a good long career in the Championship.

I'd expect most of the rest to play most of their careers exactly where they are, in League One. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten