Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Byram injury

Hmm...tbh it’s hardly a surprise - the surprise would have probably been that he’s fit and raring to go - but looks like Sam is going to miss a fair number of games at the start of the season and sounds like he won’t be fit for 10 weeks minimum.  A shame as we all know how decent he can be, but it does rather underline why he was as low a price as he was. 

• Sad 1

Another Louis Thompson unfortunately. Looks like we'll need additional cover now, just in case we get an offer we can't refuse for Lewis.

General perception of hamstring injuries is ...............'they're just a muscle strain and nothing serious'. Whilst often the case they can be really nasty and timescale wise the Byram lay off is just as lengthy as if he had ruptured his achilles or done his ACL. He's been really unlucky and even IF he's ready by 'end October' that will still be a NINE month absence. Not his fault and when he had that run in the team he showed a far better defensive attribute than Lewis although lacked the pace and natural width going forward. Better raise the 'sale' tag on Jamal me thinks!   

29 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Another Louis Thompson unfortunately. Looks like we'll need additional cover now, just in case we get an offer we can't refuse for Lewis.

He's a right back who was played out of position in left back when Lewis was injured and out of form last season. 

I think a lot.will depend on Bali Mumba's pre season. If Aarons goes, this will mean we definitely need another right back, perhaps on loan.

22 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

He's a right back who was played out of position in left back when Lewis was injured and out of form last season. 

I think a lot.will depend on Bali Mumba's pre season. If Aarons goes, this will mean we definitely need another right back, perhaps on loan.

Exactly.  As I said in another thread ....I accept some people's argument that Byram did well at LB and him keeping his place when Lewis became fit was warranted but I think the idea that the club see him as a viable long term option in that position is fanciful.  City don't spend money freely and that they reportedly spent £3.5m on McCallum in January suggests that Byram isn't seen as a long term solution in that area.  City would not spend that kind money on a player just to have them as 3rd choice or even 2nd if Lewis leaves.  I also can't think that the player himself would have signed if that was the case either.

Edited by seanthecanary

7 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Heise left back cover if Lewis leaves? 

Not good enough and wouldn't be surprised if we're trying to offload him quietly.

15 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Not good enough and wouldn't be surprised if we're trying to offload him quietly.

This probably is the case, however he was signed when we were in the Championship, he has spent most of his career playing in the German second tier and he's also an attacking full-back so I wouldn't rule it out completely.

Player with a long history of injury layoffs now has another injury layoff.

Well I never.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Player with a long history of injury layoffs now has another injury layoff.

Well I never.

Who knew filling your squad with players who have bones made of glass might lead to large numbers of injuries? I for one am shocked

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I think this discussion is based around if Lewis leaves and who would be backup to McCallum.

50 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Heise left back cover if Lewis leaves? 

My bad

Edited by seanthecanary

May as well depend on how farke views the other young full backs he has at the club already. He said he wouldn't gift any game time, (and I know it was like a minute or two) but he fit Jordan Thomas on last game. He may view him as getting close to a squad player. Also there is Caleb richards who went on loan to Tampa and he may feel he is decent 

We also just signed Matthew Dennis who he might feel could do a job, I suppose all those three are the same amount of risk as Aarons was way back when.

Also there is Bali Mumba, and didn't we design a highly rated young Belgium player last year, Rob nizet or similar? Anyone know about him or what he is doing?

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It is worrying that some players seem to be unlucky so much. Is that the reason we got him so cheap?

Well obviously yes, but most on here accepted that. The worrying thing is we seem to have our share of sicknotes. The club now realise that too and seem to be covering all positions (Krul's cover awaited).

Byram isn't a disaster as he will never be first choice anyway now that we have strengthened with Mumba and McCallum. 

Obviously this will all change should we sell Aarons!

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This latest set back for Byram is hardly related to his injury history.

Getting a cyst is just unfortunate and if he’d had the operation as soon as it was discovered he would be ready for the season. 

Might as well not have bothered to explain this BYG, whingers gonna whinge 😳

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Who knew filling your squad with players who have bones made of glass might lead to large numbers of injuries? I for one am shocked

good to see that someone understands that this is a bone injury, not a muscle one 🙄

42 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

It is worrying that some players seem to be unlucky so much. Is that the reason we got him so cheap?

Surely not😉

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Getting a cyst is just unfortunate and if he’d had the operation as soon as it was discovered he would be ready for the season. 

That is fair but it is also reasonable to suggest this adds another string to the 'can't rely on him as a starter' bow.

Currently it looks like none of Byram, Hanley, Klose and even granite Zimbo can be relied on to stay fit for an extended period. Aarons & Lewis may well both be off before this window closes, perhaps Godfrey too, although I really hope Big Ben stays. Hopefully lessons have been learned from defenders being thin on the ground for most of last season. Jordan Thomas, Bali Mumba & Matthew Dennis are prospects and we haven't had a chance to see McCallum yet. Heise will probably be offloaded. Lots for Webber to ponder as this will quite likely be an "attritional" season. 

Gibson on loan (wages partially paid by Burnley) with a view to buy could be a great piece of business, with a low risk if it doesn't work out. Both clubs & player win! Two BGs at CB!💪👍👌

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

May not be directly related but it's another entry on his injury CV.

At least we only paid £750,000 for a gamble. So far the jury is out.

5 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

May as well depend on how farke views the other young full backs he has at the club already. He said he wouldn't gift any game time, (and I know it was like a minute or two) but he fit Jordan Thomas on last game. He may view him as getting close to a squad player. Also there is Caleb richards who went on loan to Tampa and he may feel he is decent 

We also just signed Matthew Dennis who he might feel could do a job, I suppose all those three are the same amount of risk as Aarons was way back when.

Also there is Bali Mumba, and didn't we design a highly rated young Belgium player last year, Rob nizet or similar? Anyone know about him or what he is doing?

If we can design them now, I'll take Trent Walker as our right back next season. Or was it Kyle Alexander-Arnold? I can never remember which one is absolutely rapid and technically amazing and which one is average at both...