Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Former players at Carrow Road next season

I would like to see Elliot Bennett back. He has turned into an inspirational figure at Blackburn, their captain there too - and he was always a player of good technical ability so would fit Farke's way of playing and add important experience to the squad. He was successful in the premier league with us when we finished 12th playing 36 times and injury struck him just as he looked to be maturing into an excellent player for us. Fitness problems behind him, still strong and fit at 31.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I would like to see Elliot Bennett back. He has turned into an inspirational figure at Blackburn, their captain there too - and he was always a player of good technical ability so would fit Farke's way of playing and add important experience to the squad. He was successful in the premier league with us when we finished 12th playing 36 times and injury struck him just as he looked to be maturing into an excellent player for us. Fitness problems behind him, still strong and fit at 31.

Back playing for us??

I'm sorry but if you actually look, most Blackburn fans don't think hes good enough for them as it is.

He made 42 appearances last season without a single goal and 4 assists.

Lovely bloke, but not even close to being good enough for our first eleven now.

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

err, the idea was listing former City players who might return as players with other clubs

which could be the case with Remi Mathews as think he is Championship level, though without a club at the moment

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

I'm sorry but if you actually look, most Blackburn fans don't think hes good enough for them as it is.

He made 42 appearances last season without a single goal and 4 assists.

Lovely bloke, but not even close to being good enough for our first eleven now.

He doesn't fit their image of a captain, that is all.   As for goals, he played at right back most of the season, so four assists is pretty good. Very good player, under rated by many when he was at Norwich but full of technical ability, which suits our game. His season to shine for us was cruelly taken away by that cruciate injury in the first game of the season. Played 36 times in the season we finished 11th in the PL and if he had stayed fit that next season, Snodgrass may not have even got back into the starting eleven and we might have been a bit more of a team.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He doesn't fit their image of a captain, that is all.   As for goals, he played at right back most of the season, so four assists is pretty good. Very good player, under rated by many when he was at Norwich but full of technical ability, which suits our game. His season to shine for us was cruelly taken away by that cruciate injury in the first game of the season. Played 36 times in the season we finished 11th in the PL and if he had stayed fit that next season, Snodgrass may not have even got back into the starting eleven and we might have been a bit more of a team.

Or, judging by the two players respective careers, we'd have been significantly weaker.

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Or, judging by the two players respective careers, we'd have been significantly weaker.

That is a matter of opinion and I know who I'd rather have in my team....a 100% team player, which is what Bennett offers and exactly what Farke demands as a pre-requisite. 

• Like 1

I liked Elliott Bennett and really felt for him with the bad luck in injury at the time, but we're well beyond him now at his current playing level.

Aarons and Byram are already better options in the RB slot, he's not going to be taking a place in midfield either for that matter, and whilst I can't fault his attitude, he doesn't fill a role we need covering nor at the level to replace anyone we already have either.

The only players who've left in relatively recent years that I'd genuinely want back are either Maddison or Angus Gunn (maybe Redmond as well), and that's simply not going to happen in the slightest.

22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

That is a matter of opinion and I know who I'd rather have in my team....a 100% team player, which is what Bennett offers and exactly what Farke demands as a pre-requisite. 

Andy Hughes and Mark Fotheringham were team players. That doesn't make them better than players who are...better.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Andy Hughes and Mark Fotheringham were team players. That doesn't make them better than players who are...better.

Those two were not remotely connected with a succesful campaign in the Premier League.....we finished 11th in the PL in a season where EB played in a significant number of those games.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Those two were not remotely connected with a succesful campaign in the Premier League.....we finished 11th in the PL in a season where EB played in a significant number of those games.

Yes a long time ago. Bennett isn't close to being good enough for our first team if we are serious about promotion.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

we finished 11th in the PL in a season where EB played in a significant number of those games.

Yes, 32 of 36 games on the right wing/right midfield (with 3 at LM and 1 at LB) and he contributed a MASSIVE 1 goal...

Not saying he wasn't a team player, but in terms of returns, a single goal and 5 assists over almost a full season is hardly impressive enough to wax lyrical about 8 years later...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy_Bones said:

Yes, 32 of 36 games on the right wing/right midfield (with 3 at LM and 1 at LB) and he contributed a MASSIVE 1 goal...

Not saying he wasn't a team player, but in terms of returns, a single goal and 5 assists over almost a full season is hardly impressive enough to wax lyrical about 8 years later...

Not waxing lyrical about it, mainly saying he was part of a successful team in the PL. However, he is now mainly a right back for Blackburn, a position many of us said was going to be his best position in the long term.

15 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yes a long time ago. Bennett isn't close to being good enough for our first team if we are serious about promotion.

Have to disagree. Benno would be excellent to have around the 1st team. Always gives his all and like LDC said earlier, bennett was part of a successful PL campaign. I'd take him back. Look at milner at Liverpool. Some of them don't see him as good enough for them but is an all rounder gives his all and is good around the dressing room.

Giving your all is a great trait and something I'd hope every single player does on the pitch (even though we know plenty that don't), but you need more than a great effort level and workrate, otherwise we'd be looking at bringing back the likes of Andy Hughes if that was the only qualifier needed.

1) We don't need another right back (or right midfielder)

2) He isn't any better than the ones we have anyway

3) He has zero resale value or development potential

4) It would be a total waste of wages to simply sign someone purely for a positive attitude (we've already got McGovern for that)

Our model is primarily around finding rough diamonds, players who deserve another chance having shown ability or talent previously, or upcoming youngsters with genuine potential, not over 30's journeymen that are already weaker than the guys we have on the books at present...