Sign in to follow this  
NCYorkie

Match coverage next season?

With the current Covid restrictions unlikely to fully go away soon, what provisions do you think the league will make for live coverage of matches?
I wonder if we will be able to buy a season pass to live stream every match? I'm guessing clubs wouldn't be too keen on this in case restrictions lift part way through the season.

However, if they do it match by match, how many fans would be willing or able to pay £10 to watch every match? I personally hope they offer a season ticket but it will be interesting to see.

It would be dangerous for the club to neglect interested supporters and if a stream was available at a reasonable price I'm sure many would sign up. Don't supply the fuel for the fire and we might all discover lives outside of being a supporter, for the club that would be a disaster, more so than giving the stream away for nothing.

22,000ish have either paid or are paying for a season ticket next season which is a financial commitment to Norwich City and i hope that any charges to watch it live as you sit at home are geared towards those people before others.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

22,000ish have either paid or are paying for a season ticket next season which is a financial commitment to Norwich City and i hope that any charges to watch it live as you sit at home are geared towards those people before others.

I endorse that.

I don't think the club would be stupid enough to keep taking ST money, and then charge ST holders for a stream (which are readily free) at the same rate as non season ticket holders.

Time for clubs to be allowed to stream their own matches. Season ticket holders for free and casuals for a, say, £10 a match.  Once that principle is established it will be something that will be seen to be a good thing and to be kept in place for even when restrictions are lifted.  

13 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Time for clubs to be allowed to stream their own matches. Season ticket holders for free and casuals for a, say, £10 a match.  Once that principle is established it will be something that will be seen to be a good thing and to be kept in place for even when restrictions are lifted. 

How would you stop naughty folk like yourself from watching a stream for free, as before

Poor plod doesn't grasp that once a few people have access to a live stream then it goes worldwide on umpteen sites

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bill said:

How would you stop naughty folk like yourself from watching a stream for free, as before

Poor plod doesn't grasp that once a few people have access to a live stream then it goes worldwide on umpteen sites

To be fair streaming is the classic Hydra. The more you try and cut sites down the more that pop up.

A season ticket to stream matches used to be £130 for overseas viewers I think. I hope they offer this to UK viewers.

They need to offer a reasonable price if they want fans to subscribe. I only pay £17 per month for sky sports in HD and that includes loads of content for a whole month.

£10 per match would be far too much for me to pay personally. I'd pay it for a one off match but not every week.

Edited by NCYorkie

26 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

As long we can still watch all the games on the wireless everything will be ok.

We love you Dr Dublin👍

Time to work on the garden shed to make sure it is ready for the winter - if the missus doesn't want you indoors liss nun to the wireless

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

This is overall a good way around a situation nobody wanted. Seems the most fair.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

This would massively benefit the ‘big clubs’. Liverpool have been pushing for this very hard for a few years now - as they know that they have a massive global audience and they would absolutely coin it in, while clubs like Norwich would loss out hugely. 

The fact that money generated from TV rights is evenly spread across teams in the league is the one egalitarian thing about football at the moment. 

Streaming rights should be packaged up with TV rights with all revenue split equally among all the teams in the league. 

• Like 4

My ST and pew is in the Cathedral Lounge. So on match-days will amazon deliver me a football programme plus a padded cushion for my chair to watch these live streams....and then at half-time will deliveroo bring to my door a complimentary  beverage with biscuits of my choice?....

2 hours ago, Bill said:

If there is a reasonably priced alternative I will nearly always go for that.  I'd rather not go searching for dodgy streams every week and dodgy streams are just that - dodgy.

• Like 1

You would think that given it's unlikely that sky would want or be able to show all the matches in the championship that streaming or local TV could show the matches

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This would massively benefit the ‘big clubs’. Liverpool have been pushing for this very hard for a few years now - as they know that they have a massive global audience and they would absolutely coin it in, while clubs like Norwich would loss out hugely. 

The fact that money generated from TV rights is evenly spread across teams in the league is the one egalitarian thing about football at the moment. 

Streaming rights should be packaged up with TV rights with all revenue split equally among all the teams in the league. 

You seem to know these things... What is the situation with PL games being able to be shown on TV if there are no fans? Will 3 o'clock Saturday kick-offs be allowed to be broadcast? 

14 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

You seem to know these things... What is the situation with PL games being able to be shown on TV if there are no fans? Will 3 o'clock Saturday kick-offs be allowed to be broadcast? 

I don’t know - but as the law’s intention is to boost the attendance of lower league teams it would seem a bit pointless if no one can attend those games also. 

Hopefully all games will be streamed or televised somewhere. But it may be that live coverage is reduced to just local radio. 

16 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I don’t know - but as the law’s intention is to boost the attendance of lower league teams it would seem a bit pointless if no one can attend those games also. 

Hopefully all games will be streamed or televised somewhere. But it may be that live coverage is reduced to just local radio. 

Do people still listen to football on the radio? I couldn’t think Of anything worse

12 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Do people still listen to football on the radio? I couldn’t think Of anything worse

I listen to 5 Live now and again, it can be very good. Local coverage of our games is pretty useless, which is why I have resorted to streaming.

Quite entertaining watching and commenting on the Pinkun matchday thread at the same time!

Trouble is you make it too reasonably priced and convenient, some may prefer that to a season ticket. For global clubs like Liverpool it would be great, but could be disaster for us.

On 11/08/2020 at 17:17, Capt. Pants said:

I don't think the club would be stupid enough to keep taking ST money, and then charge ST holders for a stream (which are readily free) at the same rate as non season ticket holders.

Hmm. Then again I didn't think they would conjure up a way to charge membership fees to season ticket holders until the away members scheme.

I quite enjoy football on the radio..  If it's on TV I will usually watch it but I do enjoy listening to commentaries if I'm decorating or gardening etc.

I must admit I hardly listened to radio norfolk.last season as so many games ended up on tv and easier to find streams  but they do get the blood pumping at times with the emotion and bias of late winners etc

On 12/08/2020 at 22:31, essex canary said:

Hmm. Then again I didn't think they would conjure up a way to charge membership fees to *HOME* season ticket holders until the away members scheme.

Fixed that for you.

And the match day experience in person is completely different to watching it whether on a stream or the radio. I don’t see that they are remotely comparable.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

Clubs streaming their own games is the future of TV rights.

That would just make the gap between the big six, with millions of fans all over the world, and the rest get even bigger. The fact that the Premier League has a collective deal is probably the main reason why it has remained more competitive than Europe's other top leagues.