Jump to content

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The £13m mentioned must be the first instalment. 

I wonder if you still think we're going to lose ALL our young players or if you've changed that mindset yet? It doesn't look like teams are willing to splash the cash this window

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I wonder if you still think we're going to lose ALL our young players or if you've changed that mindset yet? It doesn't look like teams are willing to splash the cash this window

How long left in the window? Let’s wait and see but if your correct and I’m wrong what’s not to like. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I wonder if you still think we're going to lose ALL our young players or if you've changed that mindset yet? It doesn't look like teams are willing to splash the cash this window

If I remember correctly I guessed at least 4 would leave from the most valuable 6 players at the club (no need to least them ) you thought 2/3 at most?

Mind you you gave me evens on a 1/6 shot with Leeds so weighing up chances isn’t your strongest point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

How long left in the window? Let’s wait and see but if your correct and I’m wrong what’s not to like. 

Of course, I just wondered if you'd changed your mind at all based on the Lewis saga and the general lack of spending from teams in this window?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Of course, I just wondered if you'd changed your mind at all based on the Lewis saga and the general lack of spending from teams in this window?

To be honest I thought Todd would go quickly and Max too. Again I hope you are proved correct and I am totally wrong. A lot can happen in days so far too early to predict yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I really hope that Buendia stays and if we have any ambition to get out of this league we need him.. great player who I have heard from a very reliable source is happy here...

I have also heard this from what I consider to be a reliable source. It may be his agent who pushes for a move or it may end up being the club if we need the money but from what i've heard he won;t throw his toys out of the pram if he has to stay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

To be honest I thought Todd would go quickly and Max too. Again I hope you are proved correct and I am totally wrong. A lot can happen in days so far too early to predict yet. 

There was alot of talk about Todd so I thought we'd see some bids in early. Liverpool not wanting to spend over £10-12mill for a left-back in this window as champions suggests teams might not be looking to splash out big time. Hopefully we only WANT to sell one, or two at most and the rest we can hold onto for another season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Transfer windows has not started yet as I imagine a lot of players are on holiday after a long season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hogesar said:

There was alot of talk about Todd so I thought we'd see some bids in early. Liverpool not wanting to spend over £10-12mill for a left-back in this window as champions suggests teams might not be looking to splash out big time. Hopefully we only WANT to sell one, or two at most and the rest we can hold onto for another season.

I’ll be very happy to pay a £20 fine if that’s the case. The Murphy boys and Pritchard couldn’t leave fast enough when the bids came in. As much as we may not need to sell time will tell how keen our prized assets are willing to stay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are people getting upset about stupid newspaper talk? A guy from Sky Sports said at the end of last week that a Premier League chief executive had told him that "Norwich are a nightmare to do business with". 

Leave Webber alone to do his job. He's good at it 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/08/2020 at 08:57, Branston Pickle said:

Just to say that stat about us not winning without him in the side was proven to be rubbish last year and remains so now.  We won games where he played as a sub, games he didn’t play and games where he went off before we scored.  It is a stupid and incorrect stat.

My apologies 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

We do not need to sell. And the players were happy to sign on until 2023 in a lot of cases. I realise we don't want unhappy players but we have to make them aware that if they think they are good enough for these teams, then these clubs will up their offer.

The Lewis episode showed that Liverpool didn't rate him any higher than £10m plus wages. Fair enough they have gone for someone else and it is to our benefit if he stays. If someone else wants him then they know£10M hasn't reached the reserve price.

Liverpool used a low offer for Lewis to get their main target at a lower price. They had been tracking the greek for a couple of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Why are people getting upset about stupid newspaper talk? A guy from Sky Sports said at the end of last week that a Premier League chief executive had told him that "Norwich are a nightmare to do business with". 

Leave Webber alone to do his job. He's good at it 

Of course we are a nightmare as we are in the fortunate position of not having to sell, so clubs either pay close to our valuation or have to look elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Liverpool used a low offer for Lewis to get their main target at a lower price. They had been tracking the greek for a couple of years.

Certainly looks that way. All’s fair in love and war plus the Premiership (Liverpool) it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Of course we are a nightmare as we are in the fortunate position of not having to sell, so clubs either pay close to our valuation or have to look elsewhere. 

Not before time, I think we are catching on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Not before time, I think we are catching on.

To be fair I don’t think you can level that in the Webber era. You may mention Maddison but then experts outside the club will say we got an amazing price with add ons especially as there were no firm bids from the ‘ big ‘ clubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Well b back said:

To be fair I don’t think you can level that in the Webber era. You may mention Maddison but then experts outside the club will say we got an amazing price with add ons especially as there were no firm bids from the ‘ big ‘ clubs

I think you're right £20m with add ons was a decent price for us especially factoring in the clubs claim they needed the money. His potential was clear but at that point he had just 1 full season of Championship experience. I'd say he's worth more than double that now but you can only do a deal based on where things are at the time. Had his 15 goal season come for us in the Premier league then we would have gotten more, League one, less. 

Edited by seanthecanary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, seanthecanary said:

I think £20m with add ons is a decent price. His potential was clear but at that point he had just 1 full season of Championship experience. I'd say he's worth more than double that now but you can only do a deal based on where things are at the time. Had his 15 goal season come for us in the Premier league then we would have gotten more, League one, less. 

I'd say getting the money they did for Maddison, considering all the circumstances, was a brilliant result for Norwich.

No one else bid on him - the only other club that even enquired was Southampton. Maddison made it very clear that Leicester was his very strong preference and things could have got very tricky if they said '£12m and not a penny more'. Luckily it seems they didn't quite know the seriousness of Norwich's financial worries or that there wasn't much solid interest at Maddison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I'd say getting the money they did for Maddison, considering all the circumstances, was a brilliant result for Norwich.

No one else bid on him - the only other club that even enquired was Southampton. Maddison made it very clear that Leicester was his very strong preference and things could have got very tricky if they said '£12m and not a penny more'. Luckily it seems they didn't quite know the seriousness of Norwich's financial worries or that there wasn't much solid interest at Maddison.

I also am struggling to think of top championship players with no proven PL experience that go for more than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, seanthecanary said:

I also am struggling to think of top championship players with no proven PL experience that go for more than that. 

Maddison was the record in that regard. So there is no one else.

Obviously it was clear he was a special talent, but there have always been lingering issues over his attitude and behaviour. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Maddison was the record in that regard. So there is no one else.

Obviously it was clear he was a special talent, but there have always been lingering issues over his attitude and behaviour. 

What issues? 

I've only ever seen him be professional. Ambitious, yes, but always professional. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With Maddison we needed the money desperately and Leicester got a player now being quoted in the £50m to £70m category. Lingering issues? Hardly....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

With Maddison we needed the money desperately and Leicester got a player now being quoted in the £50m to £70m category. Lingering issues? Hardly....

They would probably ask for even more now, 2nd highest earner at Leicester on a reported £110k a week. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, interwebme said:

What issues? 

I've only ever seen him be professional. Ambitious, yes, but always professional. 

He's a massive egotist and tends to fall out with a lot of people. He's fallen out with pretty much everyone of his managers so far in his career at one time or another (Farke might be the exception, but then he was only with him for a year). He is also known to enjoy going out for a drink and getting into trouble on nights out. 

He'd have a string of England caps by now if it wasn't for the fact Southgate thinks he needs to grow up a bit. He's been compared to David Bentley by some in the England set up.

I'm sure he'll get it in the end, but big clubs like Man U etc did worry if he'd be able to be a small fish in a big pond, rather than being a big part of teams like Leicester and Norwich.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He's a massive egotist and tends to fall out with a lot of people. He's fallen out with pretty much everyone of his managers so far in his career at one time or another (Farke might be the exception, but then he was only with him for a year). He is also known to enjoy going out for a drink and getting into trouble on nights out. 

He'd have a string of England caps by now if it wasn't for the fact Southgate thinks he needs to grow up a bit. He's been compared to David Bentley by some in the England set up.

I'm sure he'll get it in the end, but big clubs like Man U etc did worry if he'd be able to be a small fish in a big pond, rather than being a big part of teams like Leicester and Norwich.

 

He hasn’t had that many managers so far. Can’t be Leicester as they’ve persuaded him to stay, Aberdeen loved him so it must be Coventry but I can’t remember who was the manager back then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

He hasn’t had that many managers so far. Can’t be Leicester as they’ve persuaded him to stay, Aberdeen loved him so it must be Coventry but I can’t remember who was the manager back then. 

Alex Neil was one closer to home, tbf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He's a massive egotist and tends to fall out with a lot of people. He's fallen out with pretty much everyone of his managers so far in his career at one time or another (Farke might be the exception, but then he was only with him for a year). He is also known to enjoy going out for a drink and getting into trouble on nights out. 

He'd have a string of England caps by now if it wasn't for the fact Southgate thinks he needs to grow up a bit. He's been compared to David Bentley by some in the England set up.

I'm sure he'll get it in the end, but big clubs like Man U etc did worry if he'd be able to be a small fish in a big pond, rather than being a big part of teams like Leicester and Norwich.

 

Yeah, I don't think Southgate was impressed when Maddison pulled out of an England Squad due to illness and was spotted at a casino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He's a massive egotist and tends to fall out with a lot of people. He's fallen out with pretty much everyone of his managers so far in his career at one time or another (Farke might be the exception, but then he was only with him for a year). He is also known to enjoy going out for a drink and getting into trouble on nights out.

A bit harsh imo. That he is being a bit foolish at night clubs/bars he will hopefully grow out of, but he lives for football and just wants to play (totally unlike Bentley, incidentally, who wasn't that bothered about football).   I've not heard of any serious problems with managers - Alex Neil maybe, but then that is no surprise given that AN wouldn't play him.....and look what happened when managers did play him at Aberdeen and then Farke.   Rogers?  Can't really see an issue there.  Southgate?  Maybe more like AN in not being able to deal with egos.  And he has a very caring side to him as well as we know from his time at Norwich, although that is ignored by the media of course in favour of more salacious stuff.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He's a massive egotist and tends to fall out with a lot of people. He's fallen out with pretty much everyone of his managers so far in his career at one time or another (Farke might be the exception, but then he was only with him for a year). He is also known to enjoy going out for a drink and getting into trouble on nights out. 

He'd have a string of England caps by now if it wasn't for the fact Southgate thinks he needs to grow up a bit. He's been compared to David Bentley by some in the England set up.

I'm sure he'll get it in the end, but big clubs like Man U etc did worry if he'd be able to be a small fish in a big pond, rather than being a big part of teams like Leicester and Norwich.

 

Really.. by who? Has he been arrested and for what? Frankly I think this is unsubstantiated rumours and gossip

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...