Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

 I see in todays press both Crystal Palace and Aston Villa are being linked with Buendia with a supposed price tag of £13m ish. This player means so much to our club if we have serious aspirations of being promoted. He ripped up the championship and  means so much to us going forward. I know he is not the finished article and can be a tad temperamental on occasions but his loss would be the biggest single disappointment to me, and if he were to go he is worth in excess of £25m to us and how we play, regardless of what other clubs think. For goodness sake £13m is in the same ball park as both of the Murphy boys and there is no comparison on ability. In a better side Buendia would have done far better last season, it would have been interesting to see what difference Madison playing in our squad last season would have made, he probably would not have been able to replicate his form for Leicester. Of all the players people talk about leaving our club, Buendia is the one we have to keep IMO

Edited by Yorkshire Canary
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We won't be selling him for 13 million, I'm quite sure of that. 

It would be nice for him to stay. The fact remains that we didn't or haven't won a single league game without him in the side. Worrying if he goes. We'll need to find another player with that spark of creativity and I think that will be particularly difficult. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

We won't be selling him for 13 million, I'm quite sure of that. 

It would be nice for him to stay. The fact remains that we didn't or haven't won a single league game without him in the side. Worrying if he goes. We'll need to find another player with that spark of creativity and I think that will be particularly difficult. 

Why difficult if we found him in the first place then trust Webber to find a replacement 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just to say that stat about us not winning without him in the side was proven to be rubbish last year and remains so now.  We won games where he played as a sub, games he didn’t play and games where he went off before we scored.  It is a stupid and incorrect stat.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like any other player, if he is hellbent on leaving then I expect he will but I’m confident the club would ensure we get a good price. 

Would prefer he stays but the world will continue to rotate if he doesn’t.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This constant argument about how x player would have done better in a better team is rubbish. 

It's been said of so many of our players that you have to conclude we should have been a better team than we were! 

So either we underperformed or those players aren't as good as we think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

If Villa sell Grealish, I would not be surprised at all if they hit the 20m asking price for Buendia. 

Looks like Grealish might just stay now though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Just to say that stat about us not winning without him in the side was proven to be rubbish last year and remains so now.  We won games where he played as a sub, games he didn’t play and games where he went off before we scored.  It is a stupid and incorrect stat.

I'm not sure it's a "stupid" stat, we didn't win a game without him the Champs.  It was true 2 seasons ago not true last season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's the wrong player for us in the premier League so wouldn't be against us selling and reinvesting in the squad, although £20m+ and he can do better than Palace or Villa. Is completely unsuited to Palace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP

First of all I think you can’t bash the club regards sale prices as we have already shown.

Secondly we don’t know the ins and outs, he may or may not be disruptive behind the scenes. Not for one minute saying he is, but if he is he will be shipped out.

Lastly if we are going to tell Bundeia he will be staying whatever, the club will be looking for volunteers to break this news to him, maybe you would like to tell him lol. He is the one player one would guess that it really would not work if we tried to keep him against his will.

Palace would be a good move for him, good manager and probably replacing Saha. Needs to be in a side where things go well more often than not, whereas Villa will probably be another relegation fight as they are set to have yet another brand new team to start the season with. I trustWebber to replace any of our squad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

Why difficult if we found him in the first place then trust Webber to find a replacement 

It's not easy to keep picking up talented players from outside of the top leagues, there isn't an inexhaustible supply.  We found Maddison and then Buendia.  While is was good scouting and spotting of potential, there is always an element of risk that they don't reach that potential or don't step up.  That said, I would find it strange if the club weren't preparing an option to replace him as Buendia leaving would hardly be out of the blue.  Dowell may well be that replacement , or one of the wingers we signed if they want to go with more pace out wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

I'm not sure it's a "stupid" stat, we didn't win a game without him the Champs.  It was true 2 seasons ago not true last season.

It wasn’t true last season - disproved at the time, unless you exclude certain matches or include games won after he’d gone off (eg Blackburn).  But given we won most matches and he played in most matches (along with others) it is nonetheless pretty meaningless.  He was an integral part of the title winning side, we can/should just leave it at that 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

£13m is as derisory as the bid for Lewis, and will end in the same outcome.

Villa don't need Grealish and Buendia. I think he'd fit in quite well at Palace though.

If he has a release clause in his contract, let's wait for it to be hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Well b back said:

OP

First of all I think you can’t bash the club regards sale prices as we have already shown.

Secondly we don’t know the ins and outs, he may or may not be disruptive behind the scenes. Not for one minute saying he is, but if he is he will be shipped out.

Lastly if we are going to tell Bundeia he will be staying whatever, the club will be looking for volunteers to break this news to him, maybe you would like to tell him lol. He is the one player one would guess that it really would not work if we tried to keep him against his will.

Palace would be a good move for him, good manager and probably replacing Saha. Needs to be in a side where things go well more often than not, whereas Villa will probably be another relegation fight as they are set to have yet another brand new team to start the season with. I trustWebber to replace any of our squad.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes i can certainly see where you are coming from.  I accept that no player is irreplaceable but to Norwich certainly in the championship he is probably as close as you get. I have no idea as to if he is disruptive or not, i suspect he may not be adverse to a tantrum, but that really is what you pay coaches for to manage egos. If Managers and coaches shipped out the talented Pre  Madonnas all the time then they will never hit the heights of success. I accept he will have aspirations at a higher level and it would be unrealistic to keep him beyond another season if we did not go back up. I am not sure about the two clubs  mentioned, Villa he would be in another relegation battle and Palace they are so defensive he may get very frustrated. I am confident the management team will get the best possible fees for any of our players that go. I would just love him to give us another season, with him in the right frame of mind he will be the heartbeat of the team in the championship, without him it will take a very astute signing or two to make up for the shortfall in championship goals and assists

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm assuming teams are using covid as an excuse to go low on all their bids at the moment.

Hopefully we have the financial security now to hold out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buendia was brilliant in the Champs. We were warned of his temperament when he signed - he had had some issues in Spain . 
 

We have since seen the temperament for ourselves - it overtakes him and he goes out of a game too easily . I think he is great in a winning side and bloody awful when the chips are down. 
 

I expect him to go .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm assuming teams are using covid as an excuse to go low on all their bids at the moment.

Hopefully we have the financial security now to hold out. 

Exactly this. Just reading the Ryan Bennett interview shows how even players are waiting to see how things pan out this window. Fees will be lower and wages lower - some will be happy to wait a season and hope things are better next year. 

Luckily Norwich don’t have to sell, although I think they’d like to sell one or two of high value guys.

Getting players like Trybull and Leitner off the books might have to be loans rather than permanent sale now unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Exactly this. Just reading the Ryan Bennett interview shows how even players are waiting to see how things pan out this window. Fees will be lower and wages lower - some will be happy to wait a season and hope things are better next year. 

Luckily Norwich don’t have to sell, although I think they’d like to sell one or two of high value guys.

Getting players like Trybull and Leitner off the books might have to be loans rather than permanent sale now unfortunately. 

Yeah I think players like them and Heise aren't going to be in high demand so loans with an agreed price they can pay next summer might work.

My hope is we can get away with shifting just one of the high value players (Godfrey maybe?) and then keep the rest for another season. Would be a shame to have to sell players like Max and Emi for less then they're worth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do not need to sell. And the players were happy to sign on until 2023 in a lot of cases. I realise we don't want unhappy players but we have to make them aware that if they think they are good enough for these teams, then these clubs will up their offer.

The Lewis episode showed that Liverpool didn't rate him any higher than £10m plus wages. Fair enough they have gone for someone else and it is to our benefit if he stays. If someone else wants him then they know£10M hasn't reached the reserve price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

Why difficult if we found him in the first place then trust Webber to find a replacement 

I trust Webber but these types of players don’t grow on trees!    Literally the chances of finding a Maddison replacement are slim, the fact he did was genius but chances it happens again are remote!    
 

Of all our players Buendia is the best, most valuable and most needed!    Has to stay!   He has a contract, the club shouldn’t change that fact for less than £50m.   If no club wants to part with that cash, fair enough.    If Villa can ask £70m for Grealish, that figure isn’t unreasonable given what he’s proved he can do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

This constant argument about how x player would have done better in a better team is rubbish. 

It's been said of so many of our players that you have to conclude we should have been a better team than we were! 

So either we underperformed or those players aren't as good as we think. 

Maddison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope that Buendia stays and if we have any ambition to get out of this league we need him.. great player who I have heard from a very reliable source is happy here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I trust Webber but these types of players don’t grow on trees!    Literally the chances of finding a Maddison replacement are slim, the fact he did was genius but chances it happens again are remote!    

I said the same thing earlier. It's not as simple as just finding another. Players with that quality outside of top leagues at reasonable prices are not ten a penny. Vardy was playing non league football up until he was 25, that doesn't mean there are a wealth of strikers, or any at the moment that are capable of doing what he has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I really hope that Buendia stays and if we have any ambition to get out of this league we need him.. great player who I have heard from a very reliable source is happy here...

Agreed, one of the few players who, if they did leave, IMO would be extremely difficult to replace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

£13m is as derisory as the bid for Lewis, and will end in the same outcome.

I see the tabloid press mission is fully underway - reset expectations for player sales to under £15m please boys? OK boss, we are on it.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

This constant argument about how x player would have done better in a better team is rubbish. 

It's been said of so many of our players that you have to conclude we should have been a better team than we were! 

So either we underperformed or those players aren't as good as we think. 

That's actually likely to be true, not rubbish and the reason there is a transfer market in the first place... a better team wants a better player for their team so they offered money, the player moves up the ladder and regularly it works.   

Take a ball player who keeps playing one touch accurate passes all game, pass and move, the quicker he gives his teammate the ball, the more space that player is in to control and make use of it.    The ball player is helping his teammate to be a better player.    We didn't have any ball players this season.  Say Buendia goes to Man City, he receives the ball quicker in space and can then do what he does best, ie. commit defenders and slide in passes.     He was able to do that in a better team last year as Norwich were on the offensive and he was brilliant.     He did it this season too and excelled but Pukki and others kept missing the chances he created.  Overall though, he wasn't given the ball in those areas enough or was in the wrong place (covering full backs) to have an effect as the team were poor.    

In a good team (us next season), Buendia will be a star.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...