Sign in to follow this  
Kenny Foggo

Harry Wilson

Liverpool have put a £20m valuation on midfielder Harry Wilson... We should put it out there, that we have offered £8m plus decent add on's.... See how they like it.

• Like 1

A lot of the lads career has been at championship level with the exception of last season. It does show  what fees are required for top championship players though. The jury is out on if he will make it at PL level, clearly Liverpool are not confident hence them cashing in, he could become the new Alex Pritchard. we could not afford him but he would add a lot to our squad next season

6 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

A lot of the lads career has been at championship level with the exception of last season. It does show  what fees are required for top championship players though. The jury is out on if he will make it at PL level, clearly Liverpool are not confident hence them cashing in, he could become the new Alex Pritchard. we could not afford him but he would add a lot to our squad next season

I’m really shocked how Pritchard’s career has stagnated. He rarely gets a start at a struggling Huddersfield in the Championship but looked a class act here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’m really shocked how Pritchard’s career has stagnated. He rarely gets a start at a struggling Huddersfield in the Championship but looked a class act here. 

Yes he was much sought after when at Spurs and being loaned out  to championship clubs. I thought he was great when he was here and the money we got at the time was decent, it does show the dangers of holding on to players for too long sometimes, that is the difficult call for those in charge of these decisions, of course like much in sport half is fitness and ability the other half is in the head, those of us on the outside do not know what is happening to a player in that regard

Just now, Yorkshire Canary said:

Yes he was much sought after when at Spurs and being loaned out  to championship clubs. I thought he was great when he was here and the money we got at the time was decent, it does show the dangers of holding on to players for too long sometimes, that is the difficult call for those in charge of these decisions, of course like much in sport half is fitness and ability the other half is in the head, those of us on the outside do not know what is happening to a player in that regard

He was desperate to leave and play in the Premiership. I guess he thought Huddersfield were a stepping stone before one of the big boys signed him. Funny how things turn out. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I think the club were right to reject the Liverpool offer for Lewis; however, it is not inconceivable that we may regret that in the long run. He fell behind Byram, a right-back, last season. If Aarons doesn't go, will Farke still fancy Byram and Aarons as first choice keft back? If McCallum impresses when he gets pitch time, will Lewis drop behind him? If Bali Mumba surprises and becomes a regular, again it could see Byram shift to left-back and Mumba as starting right-back. There are several feasible permutations in which Lewis finds himself as a backup Championship left-back in the coming months, and no one will pay £8 million + add ons then. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I think the club were right to reject the Liverpool offer for Lewis; however, it is not inconceivable that we may regret that in the long run. He fell behind Byram, a right-back, last season. If Aarons doesn't go, will Farke still fancy Byram and Aarons as first choice keft back? If McCallum impresses when he gets pitch time, will Lewis drop behind him? If Bali Mumba surprises and becomes a regular, again it could see Byram shift to left-back and Mumba as starting right-back. There are several feasible permutations in which Lewis finds himself as a backup Championship left-back in the coming months, and no one will pay £8 million + add ons then. 

Yes regarding Lewis i suspect we may well regret not squeezing a bit more out of Liverpool if possible and letting him go. It is not nailed on that he will be a first choice throughout the season then what would his value be. I know it is not all about money and that is what makes players sales and purchases such a minefield and shapes if managers come  and go and go and the success or otherwise of clubs. If RVW had scored the goals Pukki did  we would most probably have stayed up that season

The point is that you make decisions based on the information you have at that point - if it makes sense in the here and now, you can’t legislate for what might happen but with hindsight some decisions will turn out to be right, others not.  Regarding Jamal, there’s barely anyone here who would have accepted Liverpool’s bid, it was far too low and Liverpool were pretty much taking the ****. The right decision was made for the here and now. Wilson has no more relevant experience than Jamal yet they have put the same valuation on him, which backs that up perfectly.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

The point is that you make decisions based on the information you have at that point - if it makes sense in the here and now, you can’t legislate for what might happen but with hindsight some decisions will turn out to be right, others not.  Regarding Jamal, there’s barely anyone here who would have accepted Liverpool’s bid, it was far too low and Liverpool were pretty much taking the ****. The right decision was made for the here and now. Wilson has no more relevant experience than Jamal yet they have put the same valuation on him, which backs that up perfectly.

I think that about sums it up perfectly.  Liverpool's bid was simply too low and that they now value Wilson at £20 million kind of puts their Covid will effect prices stance into perspective.  It's also interesting that Liverpool would not take a penny less than £19 million for a young striker who managed 1 goal in 27 appearances for them.  I know attacking players do have a premium but if a player who scores a goal roughly once in every 10 games is worth £19m then Lewis is worth more than £8m

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

He's just banking the money. We surely knew what type of man he was when he turned round en route to Brighton to sign for us because we offered a higher wage. He is a really good player, but is clearly more "professional" than "footballer". I suspect many of us would be the same - when his current lucrative contract ends he will get another whacking signing on fee somewhere.

1 hour ago, seanthecanary said:

I think that about sums it up perfectly.  Liverpool's bid was simply too low and that they now value Wilson at £20 million kind of puts their Covid will effect prices stance into perspective.  It's also interesting that Liverpool would not take a penny less than £19 million for a young striker who managed 1 goal in 27 appearances for them.  I know attacking players do have a premium but if a player who scores a goal roughly once in every 10 games is worth £19m then Lewis is worth more than £8m

I doubt there will be too many takers for Wilson at £20m. He did very little at Bournemouth but excelled at Championship level. Not sure there are too many Championship teams with £20m to spend on a single player now. They might get £10m plus some add-ons - which would add to the irony....

I think if we'd wanted Wilson the swap for Lewis would have made sense, so we clearly didn't want him.

10 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

I doubt there will be too many takers for Wilson at £20m. He did very little at Bournemouth but excelled at Championship level. Not sure there are too many Championship teams with £20m to spend on a single player now. They might get £10m plus some add-ons - which would add to the irony....

I think if we'd wanted Wilson the swap for Lewis would have made sense, so we clearly didn't want him.

I think his season mirrored Bournemouth's.  Promising start then a severe drop.

I've seen some comments on this thread and on another one that claim Wilson didn't do brilliantly at Premier League level last season. He still managed seven goals, which is a very good return for a winger, predominantly in a 4-4-2, in a relegated side.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

27 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've seen some comments on this thread and on another one that claim Wilson didn't do brilliantly at Premier League level last season. He still managed seven goals, which is a very good return for a winger, predominantly in a 4-4-2, in a relegated side.

Like I said, I think like Bournemouth as a whole, he started well and then his level dropped off a bit. I think that a 1 in 5 strike rate for a winger is like you said, a good return. It's a better strike rate than say Cantwell and he's being touted with a Premier League move. I think it's contentious because of Liverpool trying to low ball us and talking about lower transfer fees due to covid while seeming to want pre covid price for their young players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seanthecanary said:

I think it's contentious because of Liverpool trying to low ball us and talking about lower transfer fees due to covid while seeming to want pre covid price for their young players. 

That's clearly the issue.

But if we're claiming that Buendia and Cantwell (same positions, so comparable) are worth £25m then Wilson has to be in the same bracket. Wilson, like Buendia, excelled in the Championship last season and his Premier League record this year is no worse than Cantwell and Buendia.

Possibly the fact that Wilson is seemingly unwanted at Liverpool might see his value drop a bit, but his CV is no worse than Buendia and Cantwell.

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

That's clearly the issue.

But if we're claiming that Buendia and Cantwell (same positions, so comparable) are worth £25m then Wilson has to be in the same bracket. Wilson, like Buendia, excelled in the Championship last season and his Premier League record this year is no worse than Cantwell and Buendia.

Possibly the fact that Wilson is seemingly unwanted at Liverpool might see his value drop a bit, but his CV is no worse than Buendia and Cantwell.

No, you're right, he should in theory be just as valuable. I think there will always be a premium to be paid to prise away players from clubs that don't want to lose them though vs a similar player no longer wanted.