Re Stoke, interesting stat:

If Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting plays in the next round, it will mean the relegated Stoke squad of 2017-18 had players who played in the 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2019 & 2020 Champions League semi-finals.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Re Stoke, interesting stat:

If Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting plays in the next round, it will mean the relegated Stoke squad of 2017-18 had players who played in the 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2019 & 2020 Champions League semi-finals.

Wasn't Lambert their manager then as well? I''m assuming that adds in 1997.

On 10/08/2020 at 22:29, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Their team was built around PL survival. All that pace and counter attacking prowess will be useless if teams just sit back and counter them every game. That's why so many established Pl clubs struggle when they get relegated despite having great players,  they have to adjust to playing on the front foot and having to face teams who are extremely motivated against them to claim a scalp twice a week. Bournemouth will probably fare better as they have more technical ability and are used to playing attacking football, I definitely see Watford struggling much like Stoke did when they went down. 

I'm inclined to agree. However the appointment of the new Watford manager is very interesting. He plays 433. Watford do have the players to play 433. It is quite a big ask to have a team change style but Watford's players are also used to having a new manager every 6 months. 

Some will argue that not knowing Championship football is a disadvantage for their manager, however there are plenty of examples of managers winning that league without having managed in the division before.  

With player values depressed I can see the owners of Watford just going all out for promotion and hanging on to their most talented attacking players. Their most important players are all contracted until  at least 2022. They don't have to sell. 

Pozzo is a pretty interesting character who has essentially learned the game from inside a scouting operation. Indeed one might argue that he is one of the most educated club owners in English football in terms of his knowledge of the game.  

He clearly wants his side to play 433- indeed there is no way he would have appointed the current manager otherwise.

Think of the most aggressive approach you could take and then do something a little more aggressive still and perhaps you have some insights into how this guy operates. He is absolutely 100% not going to stick with a playing approach designed to ensure premiership survival. He knows the game too well.

The plan will be something along the lines of learn 433 in 10 games, win the league. 

He's has watched what Brentford have done and he's going to do the same thing but with better players. Benrahma, Watkins, Mbeuno looks good as an attacking unit but Deulofeu, Deeny and Sarr will score a lot more goals.

If it doesn't work straight away he'll make whatever changes he needs to in January.

I wouldn't bet against them going straight back up.  3-1 odds looks good value. 

Some significant movement in the odds today. Norwich City have shortened and are now pretty much joint favourites with Brentford and Watford. 

2 hours ago, ALBOWLLY said:

Some significant movement in the odds today. Norwich City have shortened and are now pretty much joint favourites with Brentford and Watford. 

Norwich 6-1 favourites with Bet 365 now . Bit of 8-1 still around , so if you want to get on maybe do it now .

I lumped on a while ago at 8-1 , and 11-4 to get promoted. 

27 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Norwich 6-1 favourites with Bet 365 now . Bit of 8-1 still around , so if you want to get on maybe do it now .

11/4 promotion is a great bet.

Our fixtures the first 2 months are not the easiest so we could be in a position of looking off the pace by December

12 hours ago, Pockthorpe said:

Yes, I placed my bets on Norwich City a week ago today. I got the 8/1 but the best I could manage was 5/2 for promotion.