I've just had a look at the full list out of curiosity:

https://mobile.bet365.com/#/AC/B1/C172/D1/E50812724/F2

Interesting to see that Stoke are joint fourth favourites after Watford, Brentford and us. Someone on here (or maybe a couple of people, I can't remember who) was completely writing them off the other day, but whilst I disagree and think they could be a threat, I think fourth favourites is a bit of a stretch.

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

You never see a bookie on a bike.

err, yes

because they simply adjust the book so whatever the result they win

crafty ain't they 😉

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Exactly. (Although when I was growing up it was you never see a farmer on a bike)

Do we need to have the conversation about how odds are set again?

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 1

The history books are littered with  pre season predictions that never came to fruition. Brentford do look a very strong candidate but i cannot see it with Watford, they are a club in a muddle, i would hazard a guess their players have no relegation clauses and Tro Deeney one of their best for years is 32 now and may be away for a last pay day. We have got a s good a chance as anyone and with Leeds, WBA and fulham out of the Division now even better

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

If watford keep all their players, they should walk it....

Their team was built around PL survival. All that pace and counter attacking prowess will be useless if teams just sit back and counter them every game. That's why so many established Pl clubs struggle when they get relegated despite having great players,  they have to adjust to playing on the front foot and having to face teams who are extremely motivated against them to claim a scalp twice a week. Bournemouth will probably fare better as they have more technical ability and are used to playing attacking football, I definitely see Watford struggling much like Stoke did when they went down. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Their team was built around PL survival. All that pace and counter attacking prowess will be useless if teams just sit back and counter them every game. That's why so many established Pl clubs struggle when they get relegated despite having great players,  they have to adjust to playing on the front foot and having to face teams who are extremely motivated against them to claim a scalp twice a week. Bournemouth will probably fare better as they have more technical ability and are used to playing attacking football, I definitely see Watford struggling much like Stoke did when they went down. 

If they keep Delofeu,Pereyra,Deeney,Sarr....backed up by the likes of Capoue,Dacoure,Dawson,Foster..they will stroll it.

Their biggest enemies will be themselves and their board.

Bournemouth have already lost Ake and look like losing Fraser,King,Wilson ,Brooks and maybe Ramsdale,whilst Harry Wilson's loan has finished....coupled with their dreadful managerial appointment and I can see them being nowhere near...they wont be able to cheat their way around FFP this time around like their last promotion.

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

15 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

If they keep Delofeu,Pereyra,Deeney,Sarr....backed up by the likes of Capoue,Dacoure,Dawson,Foster..they will stroll it.

Bournemouth have already lost Ake and look like losing King,Wilson and Brooks whilst Harry Wilson's loan has finished....coupled with their dreadful managerial appointment and I can see them being nowhere near...they wont be able to cheat their way around FFP this time around like their last promotion.

I can't see Sarr staying, or indeed Dacoure or Deulofeu either. They'll need to sell and indeed have offered Sarr out for £40million in the hope of getting the cash in. Throw in a managerial structure / approach from the owners that is best described as "scattergun" and I doubt their team has the same degree of loyalty inspired to their manager as many of our players do with Farke - or indeed are as well drilled playing in a very certain style either.

So I do agree with your second point in essence, it's reflective of a club culture that may not be at all sustainable, but we'll have a far better idea when the first few games of the new season come around.

The big question marks around us are "who stays" and "how quickly do the new lads gel?" For that reason I'd be hoping that Farke mainly starts with the old guard that won the Championship last time out assuming they all have good pre-seasons and keep fully fit. So that means putting Stiepermann behind Pukki, pretty please!! (Besides, how much havoc could two rampaging speedsters in Hernandez and Płacheta cause on each wing coming off the bench for the last 25 against Championship defences?)

I think we'll lose a couple and start quite slowly, but I've been wrong before in the past and no doubt I'll be wrong again.

4 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I've just had a look at the full list out of curiosity:

https://mobile.bet365.com/#/AC/B1/C172/D1/E50812724/F2

Interesting to see that Stoke are joint fourth favourites after Watford, Brentford and us. Someone on here (or maybe a couple of people, I can't remember who) was completely writing them off the other day, but whilst I disagree and think they could be a threat, I think fourth favourites is a bit of a stretch.

O'Neill has got them organised and winning games plus they have a reasonable budget so I see Stoke as a definite threat next season

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Go on, do it! I love it when this happens... 😃

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

They'll do well to hang on to Deulofeu, Pereyra, Sarr and Doucoure.

But the thing with Watford is that they've had an extremely high turnover of players and coaches ever since the Pozzo family took charge and until last season, it worked. Even in 2014/15 when they went up they had four different coaches, and they regularly go through seasons with two or three coaches and they seem to change half the playing squad each season too. It's an approach that shouldn't work, but Watford have shown themselves to be quite successful with it over the last seven or eight years.

11 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yes I agree, based on the end of last season personally I see them as one of the major favourites. Middlesbrough also could well improve big time.

11 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Now who's being deliberately provocative?!🤩

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Of course not - they are good at calculating risk! Mile for mile cycling is the most dangerous form of transport by far, so represents a high risk and a low return in terms of distance covered.

Completely logical.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Bournemouth have already lost Ake and look like losing Fraser,King,Wilson ,Brooks and maybe Ramsdale,whilst Harry Wilson's loan has finished....coupled with their dreadful managerial appointment and I can see them being nowhere near...they wont be able to cheat their way around FFP this time around like their last promotion.

We hear this type of thing every year, but the truth is that lots of so-called "quality players" can't hack it in the Championship. Deeney's seen it all before, but others just can't cope with the remorseless grind of physicality twice a week - and next year, then season is likely to be shortened, so even more intense.

We all know it’s too early in the window for accurate predictions, but I love it, trying to make sense of it all and even the irritating each other as we do it. But some are really good at assessing the realities – nearer kick-off I’ll be looking out for the predictions of Jonathan Low who covers Reading at BerkshireLive. He’s the only journo I can recall tipping us for promotion last time (at the same time as predicting Ipswich relegation) and his pre-season predictions last summer were Leeds and Fulham automatic with Brentford, West Brom, Boro and Stoke in the play-offs – a pretty good strike rate who I'll read before placing my bets. For what it’s worth I expect us to be champions (not forgetting that I expected us to stay up last season) with Burnley, Villa and Sheff U passing us on the stairs.

Think the squad we have and the experience post lockdown and the unsettling of some of our best players means it will be hard to be top 6. Seen it with so many strong relegated sides (Fulham, Stoke...) Top 10 this season. Anything better and Farke will have done a great job.

You would have to be mad putting cash on us this coming season for promotion 

mid table at best is the inevitable outcome 

On 10/08/2020 at 18:35, Nuff Said said:

Exactly. (Although when I was growing up it was you never see a farmer on a bike)

You wont get a conversation out of Bilious ,Nuffo. He'll just tell you how it is . He knows you know.