Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Louis Thompson

In all the talk about needing a CDM there is never a mention of Louis Thompson. 

it makes me wonder why on earth  we renewed his contract if he is not being considered part of the first team this coming season? 

Has been really unlucky with injury - but then we gave him a new contract - why?

I guess the hope was that the injuries were over and hadn't adversely effected him. Giving him a new contract gave the club the opportunity to see if that hope was right or wrong. He has not really pulled up any trees in league one which is probably why he's not being touted as an option for us. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

In all the talk about needing a CDM there is never a mention of Louis Thompson. 

You do realise that ‘all the talk’ you are mentioning is from fans, rather than those at the club? I’m sure SW/DF are well aware that he’s still at the club.  That’s the thing with contracts and injured players, to an extent you’re dammed if you and damned if you don’t.  He was certainly a decent prospect, but you do start to have to deliver on it.

1 hour ago, seanthecanary said:

I guess the hope was that the injuries were over and hadn't adversely effected him. Giving him a new contract gave the club the opportunity to see if that hope was right or wrong. He has not really pulled up any trees in league one which is probably why he's not being touted as an option for us. 

Exactly this. Casting out an injured player with no chance of being fully fit is a bit harsh, so it's noblesse oblige time. Give him a year or so to get back to full fitness and see how far he can take it. He's tried, probably fallen short, no worries, we move on. At least he should have a chance of getting in at a new club in some semblance of shape.

5 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Exactly this. Casting out an injured player with no chance of being fully fit is a bit harsh, so it's noblesse oblige time. Give him a year or so to get back to full fitness and see how far he can take it. He's tried, probably fallen short, no worries, we move on. At least he should have a chance of getting in at a new club in some semblance of shape.

Also, last thing anyone would want to see would be that we released him and then him go on to be the player the club hoped he would be. I can hear the cries of mismanagement in my mind. 

Edited by seanthecanary

He probably will become that player, just at a level or two below ours, sadly.

Louis Thompson is a potential top quality player

Just needs to stay injury free for some longer game time, to help him build up his fitness for the Championship

I wish him well ...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Doomcaster said:

Louis Thompson is a potential top quality player

Just needs to stay injury free for some longer game time, to help him build up his fitness for the Championship

I wish him well ...

Agree Doomo, hes probably not costing us much at the moment, the potential was definitely there,  a shame for the lad if he never gets to play first team again for us but at least as a club we know we have given him plenty of time to fully recover and show his ability.  We may recover a few quid for him when he moves on permanently, if he does. I don't  see what more we could have done though.  Best of luck to him, whatever happens. After all , its safe to say pretty much everyone  wanted him to succeed  here  . Just hasnt happened   . 

He's 25 so potential has to be realised at some point. 

He managed 19 games last season which is a marked improvement but no team can rely on him as a starter right now.

The management team still see some promise in him if he can eradicate his constant injury problems. It is a great shame when a talented individual has a career stopped or cut short by injury, but alas that is the nature of the beast. the rewards are high but no room for sentiment when individuals do not deliver. I still think he may have a future, but this coming season probably may be his last chance at Norwich and quite possibly in the game. He needs to play plenty of games and do well, at least in principle he will have more opportunity now that we are back in the championship. Farke will give him his chance if he thinks he is good enough and fit enough, the lad deserves a slice of good fortune regarding injuries then the rest is down to him

2 hours ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

The management team still see some promise in him if he can eradicate his constant injury problems. It is a great shame when a talented individual has a career stopped or cut short by injury, but alas that is the nature of the beast. the rewards are high but no room for sentiment when individuals do not deliver. I still think he may have a future, but this coming season probably may be his last chance at Norwich and quite possibly in the game. He needs to play plenty of games and do well, at least in principle he will have more opportunity now that we are back in the championship. Farke will give him his chance if he thinks he is good enough and fit enough, the lad deserves a slice of good fortune regarding injuries then the rest is down to him

Would agree that he's well overdue some good luck

We are overloaded with midfield players in a very slow market. He might have the attributes of a quality player, but not as a professional athlete. His body is brittle. Loan him in out to someone who will pay 100% of his wages and run his contract down.

39 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Loan him in out to someone who will pay 100% of his wages and run his contract down

I can’t imagine that there’s a club willing to do that