Sign in to follow this  
Justin time

Who will miss the big six league

I won’t. For over fifty years of watching city and local teams I have enjoyed the football ,bad or good,  but the more I see the premiership the less I like the way that money has spoilt the game.

it still appears that the big boys get the rub of the green and people are so used to it they don’t complain.

The five sub rule was only going to benefit teams that have big squads, ie money.

ultimately the greed of the top league will kill off grass roots football as we know it.

Roll on the championship.

• Like 3

The Premier league and related money has gone massive. I want NCFC to be there consistently competing with the biggest clubs but as Dean Ashton put it Norwich are Millionaires in a Billionaires play ground. If you don't have Billionaire owners you are also rans.

I will miss it but on a Saturday you want your team playing with a good chance of winning not the repeat losing we got used to that's no fun at all.

Maybe being a yo yo club isn't so bad at least we do experience some highs with good championships performances and promotions over the years the only other option is to try to hang in their in the Premier which we struggle to do because we haven't got the money.

I think we'll win more games in the coming season and keep more clean sheets so thats a start

• Like 1

I agree.

I cannot help but feel the rules that have been introduced, whilst from the outside look good, have actually only helped to solidify the position of the top 6-8 clubs in the Premier League.

What do I mean by that?

Homegrown rule: It's actually far better in the Championship. In the Premier League it's a percentage of your squad which is limited to 25. In the championship it is about your match day squad. In other words, in the premier league, you can buy homegrown players and never use them, just to meet the quota. But you can't in the Championship. This is why you have seen incredibly promising players be snapped up for silly money to then see their progression and careers destroyed.

See Rodwell for example, Chambers at Arsenal - arguably Carl Jenkinson before him, Wright-Philips to a degree, and you could also argue Delph and to a lesser degree Milner even.

In addition, homegrown rules mean that the bigger clubs are buying players from abroad even younger, so that they qualify as home grown, such as Krul, by the time they are old enough to play first team football. How does this play out in academies I would love to know. But I suspect the pressure is on to develop the youngsters brought in from abroad who have cost money already - how that pressure plays out who knows?

The U23 system doesn't seem that helpful either. It just seems to mean that clubs hang on to youngsters for a bit longer than they normally would which in turn means they don't get to go down the leagues sooner to start their careers if needed. Norwich seems to be a bit different in their preparedness to play the U18's if needed and preference to loan out younger players to try and get them vital experience and competitive professional game-time.

In the long run though, the FFP rules do seem to have prevented any teams from being able to throw money at a team, get to a champions league spot and invest the money in club economics. It's fair to say that Leeds demonstrated why you could not trust club owners to do it properly, but it has meant a more formulaic look to the leagues with the incomes of larger clubs being more protected IMHO. 

With the odd exception, teams outside of that group best hope is to qualify for Europe.

2 minutes ago, Mullet said:

The Premier league and related money has gone massive. I want NCFC to be there consistently competing with the biggest clubs but as Dean Ashton put it Norwich are Millionaires in a Billionaires play ground. If you don't have Billionaire owners you are also rans.

I will miss it but on a Saturday you want your team playing with a good chance of winning not the repeat losing we got used to that's no fun at all.

Maybe being a yo yo club isn't so bad at least we do experience some highs with good championships performances and promotions over the years the only other option is to try to hang in their in the Premier which we struggle to do because we haven't got the money.

I think we'll win more games in the coming season and keep more clean sheets so thats a start

I agree with this. I would also add though, that some outcomes wouldn't be all that different and it's another reason to dislike the premier league.

If we'd stayed up, we would still have our best players plucked from our ranks. Yes, arguably staying up would mean another seasons premier league money in addition to whatever we made from player sales and perhaps we could have built a really good squad, but it's just disheartening to know that unless you are a top side challenging for the Champions League, your top players are likely to have their heads turned.

There is talk that the EFL want to introduce club wage caps in each league. This is a good idea but again, if the premier league doesn't join in with this you will have yet another easy way for the premier league to cherry pick players, knowing what the maximum wages are likely to be and how it'll be limited compared to the premier league, and again, different league entirely for the top 6-8 who can afford to pay players £200k+ per week.

The EPL feels more of a closed shop as each year passes. It's essentially the top 6 or 7 with one or two clubs on the fringe. Then there is the rest. It's quite depressing to hear of XX millions being spent on buying some player and eye watering weekly wages.

I want us to get there every year but tend to lose interest when we do (comparatively). At least the Championship is much more of a competition. It's not about having no ambition just a reluctant resignation about it all. I won't be watching much of the PL next year and will gravitate to L2/L1 and Kings Lynn for my other football interest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chicken said:

I agree with this. I would also add though, that some outcomes wouldn't be all that different and it's another reason to dislike the premier league.

If we'd stayed up, we would still have our best players plucked from our ranks. Yes, arguably staying up would mean another seasons premier league money in addition to whatever we made from player sales and perhaps we could have built a really good squad, but it's just disheartening to know that unless you are a top side challenging for the Champions League, your top players are likely to have their heads turned.

There is talk that the EFL want to introduce club wage caps in each league. This is a good idea but again, if the premier league doesn't join in with this you will have yet another easy way for the premier league to cherry pick players, knowing what the maximum wages are likely to be and how it'll be limited compared to the premier league, and again, different league entirely for the top 6-8 who can afford to pay players £200k+ per week.

The EPL is so corrupt that we are supposedly going to sell 4 or 5 players for big money when those same players have proved themselves not good enough - and by an absolute mile. Liverpool want Lewis as a back up FFS! None of Godfrey, Cantwell, Buendia, Pukki or Krul would start a game for a top 10 EPL team. Aarons maybe. That's 7 of our relegated (dismally) first choice team who could be paid £40k a week for the next 4 years to not play a game.

Remembering that these are players who have failed, yet could double or treble their wages as a result. Every one of them will claim that they individually had a good season - but they didn't; they each had a few good games in an incredibly poor season and yet could get massively rewarded. That's the nub of what is abhorrent about the EPL - buying £20m players specifically to sit on the bench, or maybe feature as a home grown because they want to pay £100m for a foreign player.

Get rid of anyone who wants to go for as much as we can and let's get back to proper football. If we happen to win it again, ask if we can sell our place to someone else.

28 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The EPL is so corrupt that we are supposedly going to sell 4 or 5 players for big money when those same players have proved themselves not good enough - and by an absolute mile. Liverpool want Lewis as a back up FFS! None of Godfrey, Cantwell, Buendia, Pukki or Krul would start a game for a top 10 EPL team. Aarons maybe. That's 7 of our relegated (dismally) first choice team who could be paid £40k a week for the next 4 years to not play a game.

Remembering that these are players who have failed, yet could double or treble their wages as a result. Every one of them will claim that they individually had a good season - but they didn't; they each had a few good games in an incredibly poor season and yet could get massively rewarded. That's the nub of what is abhorrent about the EPL - buying £20m players specifically to sit on the bench, or maybe feature as a home grown because they want to pay £100m for a foreign player.

Get rid of anyone who wants to go for as much as we can and let's get back to proper football. If we happen to win it again, ask if we can sell our place to someone else.

I disagree re krul as I think he could still do a job for a 6 to 10 EPL side . You have valid points  about overpriced players just to sit on bench although I think corrupt is a bit strong.

Even 30 years ago it was a big jump for clubs to go into the top flight. Every year that the PL has ticked by the gap between the haves and the have nots has got bigger and bigger. The money for the top end of the Pl and Europe means that the best clubs like Norwich can expect in the absence of rich no super rich owners is to eat at the top table for the odd season. That is as good as it gets. The money from these brief visits does however make our club a solid indeed successful championship side which is not a bad place to be. trouble is there are probably best part of 20 to 30 clubs the size of Norwich

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Even 30 years ago it was a big jump for clubs to go into the top flight. Every year that the PL has ticked by the gap between the haves and the have nots has got bigger and bigger. The money for the top end of the Pl and Europe means that the best clubs like Norwich can expect in the absence of rich no super rich owners is to eat at the top table for the odd season. That is as good as it gets. The money from these brief visits does however make our club a solid indeed successful championship side which is not a bad place to be. trouble is there are probably best part of 20 to 30 clubs the size of Norwich

I agree , the problem a lot of our supporters have is that they expect us to dine there every season.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

I think you’d struggle to name 30 clubs who’ve been anything like as successful as we have in the last ten years. 15 perhaps.

• Like 1

I will miss the feeling of being proud that city are in the top league and some of the glamour that goes with it but will not miss the feeling that almost every match we are going to get beaten much better in the championship where there at least might be some happy after match celebrations 

I would rather City be in the top league, however I can understand the view point that people would rather see City being competitive.  The top end of football is corrupted though, the only way around it is a salary and transfer cap that applies world wide.  It works, a quick look at the last 10 seasons of the NFL shows that, it's been won by 8 different teams in that time.  That is just unthinkable for the top European football leagues.

The EPL will financially implode eventually. You only have to see the panic induced when the football was stopped by the pandemic and the quite horrible sight of football restarting with no crowds just for the benefit of the TV money.

The money men now running the game are only interested in themselves and could not care less about supporters actually attending games.

I'm looking forward to a much more enjoyable season this year and pray we might be able to attend matches at some point.

Seems highly unlikely that will happen though.

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

God no, who wants to play Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal when you can welcome Rotherham, Wycombe and Barnsley to town. 

At least in the latter setup I'd be able to get to 2 away games!

37 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

I would rather City be in the top league, however I can understand the view point that people would rather see City being competitive.  The top end of football is corrupted though, the only way around it is a salary and transfer cap that applies world wide.  It works, a quick look at the last 10 seasons of the NFL shows that, it's been won by 8 different teams in that time.  That is just unthinkable for the top European football leagues.

The alternative might be to extract the top 6 (?) clubs and quarantine them with the other European clubs that dominate in their own countries in a European ‘super’ league. Football here would be poorer if measured on a financial basis, but there’s a strong chance the Premiership would become more like the Championship, that is, more balanced and competitive. Of course, the law of unintended consequences means the super league could constantly poach any sniff of talent from the in-country leagues, or a new ‘top 6’ could emerge and just end up repeating the cycle, or some other wierd side-effect might occur, I don’t know enough to forecast. 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

God no, who wants to play Man City, Liverpool and Arsenal when you can welcome Rotherham, Wycombe and Barnsley to town. 

People who don't enjoy watching losing ten games in a row and seeing their team score 1 goal in that time?  For the record, I would rather City be in the Premier League but I can understand the viewpoint being offered here.

• Like 1

I must admit that I for one won't miss the cynicism of the PL, where the main objective seems to be gaining an advantage by conning the ref (and no, VAR does nothing to alleviate this). It will also be nice to once more go to games with a sense of hope, rather than dread. 😀

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I just prefer to see a competitive game of football.

• Like 1

European super league breakaway is the only way. Just get rid of them and let the rest of us have football back

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I think you’d struggle to name 30 clubs who’ve been anything like as successful as we have in the last ten years. 15 perhaps.

Yes you are right over the last decade for our size and stature we have turned in a very respectable performance. My main point was that there are about 30 clubs in the top 4 flights of English football that are broadly of a similar size and stature  as Norwich, indeed some outside the top flight are even bigger. As the fortunes of football come and go so do the league positions. Burnley not that many seasons ago were on the brink of going out of the league and Oldham one of the first members of the PL are now in dire straights. At any time new ownership and management both good and bad can quickly transform clubs fortunes

• Like 1

Football is very cyclical. That's a good thing with so many clubs but only 20 at the top table. It's also unpredictable which makes all supporters approach every season full of hope.

21 hours ago, Justin time said:

I disagree re krul as I think he could still do a job for a 6 to 10 EPL side . You have valid points  about overpriced players just to sit on bench although I think corrupt is a bit strong.

It's corrupt as in "its gone bad" as opposed to "fraudulent". The same system which also allows the likes of Chelsea and Man City to have an academy of 100 players with over half of them on loan to "grateful" clubs lower down the order who polish them up and send them back. All perfectly legal, but abhorrent all the same. Hudson-Odoi on £100k a week. Henderson being offered a similar sum to go back on loan to Sheff Utd. It's all horrible.

And we will have to agree to differ about Krul. He had a great season for us, but I haven't seen any mention of any EPL interest in him.

5 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Football is very cyclical. That's a good thing with so many clubs but only 20 at the top table. It's also unpredictable which makes all supporters approach every season full of hope.

You missed delusion on the part of many Nutty!

7 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

It's corrupt as in "its gone bad" as opposed to "fraudulent". The same system which also allows the likes of Chelsea and Man City to have an academy of 100 players with over half of them on loan to "grateful" clubs lower down the order who polish them up and send them back. All perfectly legal, but abhorrent all the same. Hudson-Odoi on £100k a week. Henderson being offered a similar sum to go back on loan to Sheff Utd. It's all horrible.

And we will have to agree to differ about Krul. He had a great season for us, but I haven't seen any mention of any EPL interest in him.

Sorry you meant imoral not dishonest.👍

On 09/08/2020 at 10:46, Midlands Yellow said:

We best stay in the Championship for a while then.

suits me. I dont enjoy being in the prem

5 hours ago, peter72 said:

4th season for Brighton and loving it. You lot have the small club mentality 

I have a mate who supports brighton with a season ticket, cant say he is loving it

I'm slavering an' chomping at the bit until we're all allowed back into Carra to watch the games.....I can't wait to purchase my 'dodgy' bespoke half an' half football scarf with Norwich/Luton Town on it....Just to let everyone know that "I WUZ THERE!".....

The Championship is our Home and where we truly belong....and long let us remain there....