Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

Perseids

I know its not about about meteors but it was quite good non the less. My son was in the RAF for many years until he retired. When he was at RAF Brize Norton on Tristars he took me along with a few others up to watch the eclipse while flying round the whole coast of the UK at 30.000+ feet. While just about every one in the Uk save a few in Cornwall got a glimpse, we had uninterupted views of the whole event. It cost me the princely sum of £10 for the beer fund. Along with the eclipse we tankered Two Tornado jets and practiced tankering two VC 10s.  5 hours of delight. I did not take the picture as a filter was needed.

spot.jpg

Edited by SHRIMPER
Should have been did not get a glimpse
  • Like 1

According to Forbes Japanese and European probes will be in the vicinity soon and will be hopefully verify this story. It sounds interesting. 

@Astro_Jonny 

Edited by Herman

Mars is very bright this evening, looking directly eastwards. (Either that or Mir is on fire).

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Mars is very bright this evening, looking directly eastwards. (Either that or Mir is on fire).

Indeed. Just walked the dog and saw it. Apparently it's the brightest it's been for 15 years!

It's in its opposition phase (shouldn't make this political too but what the hell....we need all our opposition parties to be at their brightest)

• Like 1

The Quadrantids should be very visible tonight and tomorrow. They are known as bright fireball meteors and could be upto a 100 and hour.

7 minutes ago, SHRIMPER said:

The Quadrantids should be very visible tonight and tomorrow. They are known as bright fireball meteors and could be upto a 100 and hour.

Thanks for the reminder S. The moon might make the sky lighter but won't ruin it.

Just thinking, as a former fisherman I bet you've seen a fair few meteors out at sea?

When you are out at sea and there is no light pollution the sky takes on a whole new dimension and everthing is so vivid. It always seems so crystal clear when it is very cold. Lightning storms can be something else also.

A reminder (from a year ago) that these are now at their peak tonight and tomorrow night. The sky has a very light thin cloud cover where I am with a few empty spaces and I've seen two in five minutes.

Should be able to see one a minute but depends on how much of the sky you can see (no same place they come from) but if you look more or less directly overhead and perhaps towards the W of Cassiopeia you probably won't go far wrong🙂