Sign in to follow this  
TheGunnShow

Could David Marshall be an option...?

Just seen this on the BBC website. Former player, proven Championship standard, home-grown, should be pretty cheap to get due to Wigan's financial issues, some international experience as well and will probably want to push Krul hard to further his own international ambitions. 

Anyone else think David Marshall could be a nice experienced signing for us? Or is he a case of possibly a bit too good for a number two?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53700097

Marshall is certainly an option, Krul is only an injury away from meaning desperation.  Certainly need a second keeper and Marshall is experienced and not a bad keeper.  Going into next season with McGovern as only reserve keeper not an enviable position to be in.

13 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Why just look at anyone who’s super cheap or free? I’m sure Norwich could spend a few million on a very decent keeper. 

After his performances (and ultimately the Barry Butler) last season, Krul's number one. As @pete said, we're in need of a number two goalie as McGovern's really not it.

Krul's the perfect age for a keeper at 32 in theory, but he has been on the scene for a long time. Marshall seems to tick a fair few boxes - tons of Championship experience, still looks hungry, would be good for a couple of years (by which time one of Mair or Oxborough should really be staking their claims, we'll see if they're likely to make it), and shouldn't be too expensive due to circumstance.

Remember, we got Buendia relatively cheaply due to Getafe's financial problems back then. Not saying Marshall will be in the same league as he's a veteran for starters, but a team in financial difficulty is one we could probably extract a gem or two from a little more cheaply.

Marshall was a disaster for us and first out of the door when we were relegated. 

If we're thinking of ex players I would prefer Rudd or Lewis. 

58 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Why just look at anyone who’s super cheap or free? I’m sure Norwich could spend a few million on a very decent keeper. 

Because we are Norwich and that's what we do.... Super cheap or free. 

Decent shout, but good enough with his feet for DF? On McGovern, the first time I saw him was pre-season when we got him and all I remember in the warm up was that he dropped the ball more times than he caught it! Never rated him, had one outstanding game for Northern Ireland against Germany and pants ever since.

6 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Just seen this on the BBC website. Former player, proven Championship standard, home-grown, should be pretty cheap to get due to Wigan's financial issues, some international experience as well and will probably want to push Krul hard to further his own international ambitions. 

Anyone else think David Marshall could be a nice experienced signing for us? Or is he a case of possibly a bit too good for a number two?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53700097

Marshall isn't homegrown. Otherwise I would've been tempted, but considering they won't play much, I wouldn't like to see our sub keeper waste a non-homegrown slot.

McGovern is a decent shot stopper and that's about it from a playing perspective, I have no doubt he's a decent chap who is popular in the dressing room and gets on with his business, but if your first choice keeper gets injured, you need better than that to come in.

Marshall is almost as unspectacular as McGovern, yes he probably a ticks a couple of boxes slightly more than McGovern does, but again, he's not strong enough to genuinely challenge Krul, nor to replace him for a long period if an injury occurs.

I'd rather we looked at options like Freddie Woodman (if he wasn't going to Swansea) or even bringing someone like Forster back on loan tbh.

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Marshall isn't homegrown. Otherwise I would've been tempted, but considering they won't play much, I wouldn't like to see our sub keeper waste a non-homegrown slot.

Agreed

6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Norwich could. But won't.

11 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

How ironic would that be?...dropping down to the 3rd tier of english football and immediately jumping ship?!

I'd rather Oxborough on the bench

He's going out on loan to Salford, if reports are to be believed.

6 hours ago, curious yellow said:

Marshall was a disaster for us and first out of the door when we were relegated. 

I wouldn't necessarily say he was a disaster but he certainly was first outta the door once relagted.

Given the support the club had given him following the 'betting scam' scandal that left a real bad taste in the mouth. 

So for me..... No thank you 

I remember at home against Derby in 2008, Marshall clattered Adam Drury late in the game, gifting Ellington with an open goal, and 10 man Derby with a 2-1 win. 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Fair enough, I've misunderstood the homegrown rules for years then, as I also agree with the rationale of having a homegrown keeper in the slot, especially with many of our seniors not being so.

7 hours ago, curious yellow said:

I was one of those at The Valley when we were relegated to League One.

The vitriol and bile he got at the end of that game makes it highly unlikely.

39 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Fair enough, I've misunderstood the homegrown rules for years then, as I also agree with the rationale of having a homegrown keeper in the slot, especially with many of our seniors not being so.

They have to have been contracted to an English club for three years before the age of 21.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

They have to have been contracted to an English club for three years before the age of 21.

That's the bit I'd got mixed up. Thought British, not English. Thanks for the clarification.

2 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Not a DF signing. Pretty decent keeper though. Who's 24 years old in the German 2nd Tier? That'll be our number 2.

And preferably a free transfer. 

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

And preferably a free transfer. 

8 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

Not a DF signing. Pretty decent keeper though. Who's 24 years old in the German 2nd Tier? That'll be our number 2.

Because buying a 35 year old as a reserve is good value for money?

19 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Who would we buy for that sort of money, that would be on the bench for a Championship club? I say that because there is no way you can drop Krul atm. I know we had Farhmann in last season, but that was a loan, so that was an easy out, if it didn't work out. I get that Krul hasn't got many great years ahead of him (he and Farhmann are very similar in age) , and if we get promoted next year, I seriously doubt he would be our no 1 keeper for that campaign, so I feel we just need someone for just this season , as a good back up for Krul. McGovern isn't that man, for me though.

• Like 1

I can't see Marshall wanting to come here unless we give him a deal he can't refuse or he it is said he can seriously challenge krul for number one. Neither of which seem likely 

He has also started playing regular for Scotland so doubt he will wish to give that up, which is what he would be doing if he came here and sat on the bench 

Personally I'm still flying the remi Matthews flag but I doubt this will happen. Someone said Rudd, but does anyone know if he is available? 

I'd assume the criteria is very cheap or on a free and reasonable wages. Someone who is good enough for cup and possibly 10-15 championship games, but on the whole is happy to be number 2. Makes it very hard to pick doesn't it?

I'm only going on that as I'd assume they wouldn't see the number 2 goalkeeper as a position to really put money into.