Why would £8 million plus add-ons be a derisory offer for the boy Lewis?

Given the performances of every player last season (Krul excepted), especially since the downlock, Norwich should be lucky to get 20p for each of these players, let alone the £20 million the boy Webber is asking. I mean, the performances were absolutely shocking and if the purpose of last season was to showcase the club's young talent in the EPL with a view to selling for big bucks after relegation (after all there was no ambition to stay up and this was made clear by the various public utterances of Webber and Farke after Blackburn) then the club has failed spectacularly. Why would you keep telling the players how good they are, and it doesn't matter if they go around losing 11 games in a row, when as a fund-selfing club you should be looking to maximise the value of every player through actual performances on the pitch? This is yet another own goal to add to all the other own goals by the people who run this numpty club.

Who is taking responsibility for the shocking events after downlock? As far as I can see, Webber doesn't get any heat from the feeble board because they need him more than he needs them; the boy Farke has previously confessed that he has the safest job in Europe and it doesn't matter how many times he loses the feeble board will do nothing. So how are the players going to feel any heat if there is no pressure on the coaches or sporting director? And of course the board never get any heat from the fans because the board is actually a mirror image of the fan base. They keep them in their places, otherwise surely St Andrews Hall would have been flooded with bookings a long time ago.

Verdict: the club is stuffed. Fans are to blame.

26 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Given the performances of every player last season (Krul excepted), especially since the downlock, Norwich should be lucky to get 20p for each of these players, let alone the £20 million the boy Webber is asking. I mean, the performances were absolutely shocking and if the purpose of last season was to showcase the club's young talent in the EPL with a view to selling for big bucks after relegation (after all there was no ambition to stay up and this was made clear by the various public utterances of Webber and Farke after Blackburn) then the club has failed spectacularly. Why would you keep telling the players how good they are, and it doesn't matter if they go around losing 11 games in a row, when as a fund-selfing club you should be looking to maximise the value of every player through actual performances on the pitch? This is yet another own goal to add to all the other own goals by the people who run this numpty club.

Who is taking responsibility for the shocking events after downlock? As far as I can see, Webber doesn't get any heat from the feeble board because they need him more than he needs them; the boy Farke has previously confessed that he has the safest job in Europe and it doesn't matter how many times he loses the feeble board will do nothing. So how are the players going to feel any heat if there is no pressure on the coaches or sporting director? And of course the board never get any heat from the fans because the board is actually a mirror image of the fan base. They keep them in their places, otherwise surely St Andrews Hall would have been flooded with bookings a long time ago.

Just because Evans sells his players for 20p, doesn’t mean we have to. At least the salary cap means you may be able to compete next season.

10 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

I think your second paragraph is worth further comment, as it is basically correct. 

You need competition and pressure to keep you performing at your best and that currently doesn't exist. That is not a healthy environment if you want success. As a businessman, I find this totally bizarre, because you would normally dispose of under performing workers or ineffective management. However, there has been no accountability whatsoever for this season, which is staggering. Webber said he was happy to take the blame as he knew nothing would come of it. 

In my experience this season, there was an increasing number of fans that wanted 'their' club to get relegated. I met some fans before the start of the season that didn't want us to be in the EPL and I even met one that didn't renew their season ticket because we got promoted!!! It seemed as if Delia & Michael's dislike of the EPL was conditioning the fans to a level that I couldn't believe. 

So are the fans to blame? 

I think that is partially true. Some fans want us to be successful, but might have varying views on how to achieve that, but an increasing number seem to be content to accept failure as standard. For a team that was Top Six in the Late 1980's and early 1990's, it is heart breaking. Gone are the days fans would moan because we 'only' got a draw at Old Trafford or Anfield. The ambition is being sucked out of the club for some ultimately doomed self serving community project which has no place in modern football. 

14 minutes ago, komakino said:

I think that is partially true. Some fans want us to be successful, but might have varying views on how to achieve that, but an increasing number seem to be content to accept failure as standard. For a team that was Top Six in the Late 1980's and early 1990's, it is heart breaking. Gone are the days fans would moan because we 'only' got a draw at Old Trafford or Anfield. The ambition is being sucked out of the club for some ultimately doomed self serving community project which has no place in modern football. 

Those days are gone. Nottingham Forest will not get promoted, win the top division and then the champions league in the space of 3 seasons now without spending 100s of millions. 

Also, the club are not really doing much more differently to the glory days you are highlighting. Trying to buy hidden gems to hopefully polish and hoping to do the same with our own young players. The only difference now is that it's harder. We would not get to buy a class pair of full backs like Bowen and Culverhouse, a midfielder like Crook and a centre back like Polston from Tottenham for the relative peanuts we paid for them. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, seanthecanary said:

Those days are gone. Nottingham Forest will not get promoted, win the top division and then the champions league in the space of 3 seasons now without spending 100s of millions. 

Also, the club are not really doing much more differently to the glory days you are highlighting. Trying to buy hidden gems to hopefully polish and hoping to do the same with our own young players. The only difference now is that it's harder. We would not get to buy a class pair of full backs like Bowen and Culverhouse, a midfielder like Crook and a centre back like Polston from Tottenham for the relative peanuts we paid for them. 

Agree with this. Those days have indeed gone. The gap now between buying an experienced / up and coming player from another club (say in the PL) and you need what 15m and possibly a lot more. 

1 hour ago, Big Vince said:

What’s this “ the boy “ all about ? 

It’s Vince’s stock referral, I think first coined about ‘the boy Roeder ’ and used successfully in many rants since, can be entertaining but falls short on this occasion.

Ps I don’t ever remember people moaning about only getting a draw at Anfield/Old Trafford, was this really the case?

10 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

Ps I don’t ever remember people moaning about only getting a draw at Anfield/Old Trafford, was this really the case?

We also used to complain about only beating Bayern Munich away by 1 goal. Those were the days. You know, when we were a European powerhouse of a club that dominated all the best teams, spent huge amounts of money, definitely never sold our best players and each seat at Carrow Road was solid gold. Ah, the good old days. Robert Chase, what ambition that man had. 

Edited by seanthecanary

14 minutes ago, Rivvo said:

I'm afraid so. But is shows the ambition we had and now do not. 

I recall John Motson saying it was like 'Liverpool watching Liverpool', which was as complementary as it got in '89 or whoever it was. 

50 minutes ago, komakino said:

I think your second paragraph is worth further comment, as it is basically correct. 

You need competition and pressure to keep you performing at your best and that currently doesn't exist. That is not a healthy environment if you want success. As a businessman, I find this totally bizarre, because you would normally dispose of under performing workers or ineffective management. However, there has been no accountability whatsoever for this season, which is staggering. Webber said he was happy to take the blame as he knew nothing would come of it. 

In my experience this season, there was an increasing number of fans that wanted 'their' club to get relegated. I met some fans before the start of the season that didn't want us to be in the EPL and I even met one that didn't renew their season ticket because we got promoted!!! It seemed as if Delia & Michael's dislike of the EPL was conditioning the fans to a level that I couldn't believe. 

So are the fans to blame? 

How can the fans be to blame? If the fans are happy they're happy and therefore there's nothing to lay blame for, is there?

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

How can the fans be to blame? If the fans are happy they're happy and therefore there's nothing to lay blame for, is there?

If fans are happy with relegation - as some are - then they are getting their wishes, but not all fans share their defeatism. However the fans that are not happy do not share Delia & Michael's view of football, so are somewhat sidelined. 

To say we have an unprecedented fan base is an understatement!

Edited by komakino

8 minutes ago, komakino said:

I'm afraid so. But is shows the ambition we had and now do not. 

I recall John Motson saying it was like 'Liverpool watching Liverpool', which was as complementary as it got in '89 or whoever it was. 

You mean the kind of ambition that every single fan I know agreed was missing when we finished 3rd in the PL? It was the concensus of the majority that Chase showed zero ambition to win the league and that a couple of signings around Xmas could have been the difference between 3rd and 1st. Let's not revise history. We sold any player that met the value Chase placed on them. Normally £1m+. We were always a selling club, even during the glory days you are holding up as an example of ambition. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

You mean the kind of ambition that every single fan I know agreed was missing when we finished 3rd in the PL? It was the concensus of the majority that Chase showed zero ambition to win the league and that a couple of signings around Xmas could have been the difference between 3rd and 1st. Let's not revise history. We sold any player that met the value Chase placed on them. Normally £1m+. We were always a selling club, even during the glory days you are holding up as an example of ambition. 

The similarity between then and now is that NCFC always lost money because the gate receipts never broke even. John Bond, for example, was always annoyed with the lack of attendance especially when the season had started well. Therefore we had to sell, which I have nothing against because it is a necessity. 

The big difference between those days and now is that the level of which the club are happy to compete has completely changed. And that in turn has made (some of) the fans change too. 

Chase had to go because football had outgrown the likes of him, but I wonder if he had made negative comments regarding the First Division and the Premier League in his tenure, I'm pretty sure there would have been a huge outcry from the fanbase. There is no way Chase would have tolerated any manager that had lost 10 on the bounce for example. 

Having Majority Shareholders and a percentage of the fanbase that are happy in The Championship is an impossible square to circle and will cause more and more division until somebody is allowed to have the attitude and finance for the club to succeed and not play community projects. 

I don't remember moaning that we only got a point at Anfield. In the glorious period we seem to be focusing on between winning the Milk Cup in 85 and getting relegated in 95 we played there 11 times and we did win 1-0 twice, drew 0-0 twice and lost 7 times. 6 of them thumpings. Two wins though.👍

P11 W2 D2 L7 F7 A26

Since then we've managed a couple of draws interspersed with the thumpings, not a lot has changed. 

P6 W0 D2 L4 F4 A19

Suarez happened and we haven't kept any clean sheets. Interestingly, between 85 and 95 if Liverpool scored at Anfield against us they always won, in the games since then we have managed to scrap out a couple of scoring draws...progress...😂

To be fair, however you remember it, it's not much of a measure. We'll inevitably have losing records against the biggest sides but look at our record at Craven Cottage, we must make Fulham look like Brazil'82. 

Since we won on New Years Day '86:

P9 W0 D3 L6 F5 A21

Always a decent away day, mind. In the Premier League we've taken 2 points from 8 fixtures against Fulham, ugh. 

2 hours ago, Big Vince said:

Section highlighted above si 100% spot on whatever other posters think of BV. I have expressed similar views. No other club in the country with have tolerated the appalling results post restart. The owners appear to have completely disappeared inside their Stowmarket mansion leaving Webber to 'front up' any criticism from the fans which he is more than happy to considering his abrasive character and the fact he is leaving in two year anyway. The Head Coach meanwhile is in this incredible position of being under no scrutiny or pressure at all it seems and is free to continue in his role indefinitely until such time as he decides to leave!!  Not only would no other football club operae in this bizarre manner but no single business would. Whilst 'closed doors' continues then so will this farce.  

3 minutes ago, komakino said:

The big difference between those days and now is that the level of which the club are happy to compete has completely changed. And that in turn has made (some of) the fans change too. 

Because the playing field has changed. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see and hear a more ambitious approach. But you are comparing apples and oranges. Retaining top division status is so much different in 2020 than it was in the 80s, let alone pushing into the top half consistently. We were not an overly ambitious club despite the picture you are trying to paint. If you are in any doubt as to how different things are between now and then, the Lewis transfer is evidence. Back in the times you are referring to, top clubs bought our better players to go into their starting 11. Now they want them to be a reserve. That's how much bigger the gulf is. 

These apparent glory years of the late 80s and early 90s are brought up on here every little while. The truth is those seasons we finished 5th, 14th, 4th, 10th, 15th, 18th(!), 3rd, 12th, 20th. Now if every other club had their best 9 seasons we wouldn't need to worry about top 26. Top 50 could even be a struggle.

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

These apparent glory years of the late 80s and early 90s are brought up on here every little while. The truth is those seasons we finished 5th, 14th, 4th, 10th, 15th, 18th(!), 3rd, 12th, 20th. Now if every other club had their best 9 seasons we wouldn't need to worry about top 26. Top 50 could even be a struggle.

Not forgetting 2 F.A cup semi finals and a run in Europe. They were truly awful seasons at Carrow road.