Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

So, pre season friendlies

Any guesses as to when they will be?

Who so you think we will play? Dont see us doing any international travel giving current circumstances.

So who will we play? Spurs? Peterborough? Kings Lynn?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

With no fans next season for goodness knows how long my interest in pre season friendlies is at a whole new low.

I'm gutted we won't be able to go to any pre season games, I took my daughter to her first ever football match last year NCFC against Atalanta. We played well at first then Klose passed it along our own six yard box to their striker who gratefully smashed it in the net. My daughter asked why Atalanta's "Klose" was wearing a Norwich kit lol. Our defending was dire that day and so our season was mapped out and the rest is history

If you want poor defending, take a look at Real Madrid last night, gifted two goals to Man City - it happens to all sides.

Pre-season does need to ratchet up from this week, you’d think - 5 weeks to go is when the players are usually back; friendlies might be a bit tricky with corona being about, L1 and L2 sides haven’t played since March and will need to get their procedures in order....would think a few practice matches against some of those would be possible.

Edited by Branston Pickle

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

If you want poor defending, take a look at Real Madrid last night, gifted two goals to Man City - it happens to all sides.

Pre-season does need to ratchet up from this week, you’d think - 5 weeks to go is when the players are usually back; friendlies might be a bit tricky with corona being about, L1 and L2 sides haven’t played since March and will need to get their procedures in order....would think a few practice matches against some of those would be possible.

Varane sure was exposed without Ramos helping him out, just goes to show that doing nothing but passing it back to the keeper doesn't work.

... Now if only our players could learn that

I'd think the relatively local L1 and L2 sides would be a good start, as well as the likes of King's Lynn. So, teams like Cambridge (although the last friendly with them didn't go too well with injuries), Peterborough and similar, and there's always room for a much weaker opponent at the start so Ipswich or Lowestoft. 😉

I'd like a Premiership team as the last one in though. Get a hard one in for the last one to ensure they're sharp.

As I mentioned on a thread earlier on in the week, it would be great if a pre-season friendly against King's Lynn was arranged?....Alas it will be behind closed doors, but would be a decent run out for both sides.....(and no great distance to travel)..... 

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd think the relatively local L1 and L2 sides would be a good start, as well as the likes of King's Lynn. So, teams like Cambridge (although the last friendly with them didn't go too well with injuries), Peterborough and similar, and there's always room for a much weaker opponent at the start so Ipswich or Lowestoft. 😉

I'd like a Premiership team as the last one in though. Get a hard one in for the last one to ensure they're sharp.

SNAP 😉 .....

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

We should not give cambridge anything. Full stop. Friendlies can be played at high intensity  without crippling the opposition.  They disgraced themselves that day. Should be on an ignore list.

5 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

We should not give cambridge anything. Full stop. Friendlies can be played at high intensity  without crippling the opposition.  They disgraced themselves that day. Should be on an ignore list.

Cambridge or yourself? 

Involving local teams is a nice idea, Kings Lynn, Wroxham, Stowmarket. I think the last two were robbed of a cup final and promotion respectively last season due to Corona

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Ah I remember that Cambridge friendly. That was the one in which their players strategy was 'lets snap their ankles' right?

19 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Different manager, somewhat different team. I did say the last friendly with them didn't go too well though. That said, with Hoolahan in their ranks now, I suspect it could be a little more like a friendly.

Kings Lynn for sure, MK Dons also perhaps Peterboro all local teams who will not be about to cripple the lads. 

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Different manager, somewhat different team. I did say the last friendly with them didn't go too well though. That said, with Hoolahan in their ranks now, I suspect it could be a little more like a friendly.

Fair enough, didnt know they'd changed manager,  hopefully a change of style to match. Cant imagie Wes liking being in a team of cloggers, he's pure football in a pint sized  bottle. 

Why not a game against a combined team from Asda and Morrison’s 

14 hours ago, daly said:

Why not a game against a combined team from Asda and Morrison’s 

BOGOF.

Don’t care who we play but please please can we at least start the season with a fully fit squad.

The current state of the game in this COVID world is bad and uncertain. For decades a big part of my interests outside family and friends has been football and circumstances have taken that away. In this regard as well as watching league and cup games i always looked forward to pre season friendlies. In particular i liked to see clubs that i have never seen before and probably never will again, in particular clubs from overseas.. Probably starting with the Lambert era we have been treated to some really fine home friendlies, Celtic in particular springs to mind, did anyone tell the many thousands of fans it was only a friendly ?  There have been some obscure opposition but also some very good ones like Atalanta last season and Dutch and German clubs. All on hold at the moment but i look forward to the day when i can look forward turning up for an interesting friendly followed by league and cup action

3 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

U23s are playing against Portsmouth on Saturday. Interesting to see who plays in that game and whether people like Sorensen/Placheta get a game or not. 

Should be one to keep an eye on that's for sure, no doubt might see Mumba as well