kick it off

The last dance

Anybody watched through it?

The story of Michael Jordan and the 90s Chicago Bulls franchise.

Brilliant watch for any sports fan (or to be honest, anyone in general, I know quite a few people who hate sports but loved the series). 

On Netflix at the moment.

My main takeaways from it:

MJ is intense. Kind of expected it as you don't succeed at the level he did without having that innate warrior mentality, but actually seeing it play out in his interviews - that dude would get fired up over a game of noughts and crosses.

Scotty Pippen is the coolest guy, and the coolest voice in sports.

That Bulls team was possibly as dominant as any team in any sport that will ever occur in my lifetime.

MJ was one of those once in a generation players that transcends the sport he plays. Same as Tiger Woods, Pele, Muhammad Ali etc.

Edited by kick it off

It's brilliant. Really interesting. I learned so much. Who knew that Dennis Rodman was actually awesome at basketball and wasn't just a nutjob! And yeah. Jordan is one of the all time great sportsmen. Would've loved to have seen him play.

It was just what I needed for my basketball fix while the NBA was on hold. Looks like The Raptors were inspired by it too. 3 wins out of 3 since the restart 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Raptor said:

It's brilliant. Really interesting. I learned so much. Who knew that Dennis Rodman was actually awesome at basketball and wasn't just a nutjob! And yeah. Jordan is one of the all time great sportsmen. Would've loved to have seen him play.

It was just what I needed for my basketball fix while the NBA was on hold. Looks like The Raptors were inspired by it too. 3 wins out of 3 since the restart 😁

Everyone knew Rodman was awesome at basketball! He's one of the greatest defensive players ever, don't forget he came to Chicago with two rings already.

The series is absolutely brilliant.

• Like 1

I thought their last team meeting with the coach was so moving it brought a tear to my eye.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Never been a fan of basketball. Its like synchronised swimming to me.

Oh, it's more boring even than synchronised swimming. At least with that there is a chance someone might drown...

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Oh, it's more boring even than synchronised swimming. At least with that there is a chance someone might drown...

Never been a massive fan but watching Turkey versus Greece in a Turkish bar made it an enjoyable spectacle.😲😀

11 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Haha OK purple/KG. I get where youre coming from. I used to be into basketball but I gave up with it as I found most of the game of little interest as most games are decided in last 2 or 3 mins (plus the team I like only has one real star and he's perpetually injured).

I challenge you to watch the first episode of the last dance and then see if you want to watch the rest. Its about so much more than basketball.

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Haha OK purple/KG. I get where youre coming from. I used to be into basketball but I gave up with it as I found most of the game of little interest as most games are decided in last 2 or 3 mins (plus the team I like only has one real star and he's perpetually injured).

I challenge you to watch the first episode of the last dance and then see if you want to watch the rest. Its about so much more than basketball.

To be honest, if Basketball was as big here than in the US and there was a Norwich-based franchise, there's a significant chance I'd put my cash into that instead of a Carrow Road season ticket.

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

To be honest, if Basketball was as big here than in the US and there was a Norwich-based franchise, there's a significant chance I'd put my cash into that instead of a Carrow Road season 

The Norwich Mustardmen vs The Ipswich 6 fingers. What a derby!

But yeah. Having been to a few NBA games I'm with you on that. I'd certainly go once a week and maybe just football a few times a season. 

Its definitely one of those sports that's better to see live. It always comes across as very stop/ start on TV but in the arena you dont really notice that. Part of that may be the cheerleaders distracting you...

You'll never get me Into the dullest of American sports tho. However you dress it up baseball is just rounders with stupid hats.

22 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Never been a fan of basketball. Its like synchronised swimming to me.

I don't think you're doing it right KG.

Edited by Nuff Said

I've heard good things about it but not watched.

I'm always a bit skeptical about sports docs after being burned by the super boring 'All or Nothing' Series on Amazon.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I've heard good things about it but not watched.

I'm always a bit skeptical about sports docs after being burned by the super boring 'All or Nothing' Series on Amazon.

Know what you mean. I avoided the all or nothing one. This one is worth it though, promise!

On 09/08/2020 at 20:44, The Raptor said:

The Sunderland one on Netflix is good. Certainly not boring. 

The Sunderland one is good, which I think is as much due to the clubs naivety about how it would look.

The problem with a lot of 'all access' documentaries is that access comes at the cost of editorial freedom- so what you often end up with is puff pieces rather than a warts and all view.

6 hours ago, king canary said:

The Sunderland one is good, which I think is as much due to the clubs naivety about how it would look.

The problem with a lot of 'all access' documentaries is that access comes at the cost of editorial freedom- so what you often end up with is puff pieces rather than a warts and all view.

Thats the good thing about last dance - it was filmed before the all access docs was really a thing. Dont feel like it was a puff piece in any way.