Sign in to follow this  
keelansgrandad

Arsenal fans not happy

55 jobs at, let’s say an average £50,000 a year, is £2.75m. When you consider some of the deals we’ve sanctioned for players, and the fees paid to them and certain agents, it’s shameful the club see fit to let 55 hard-working people lose their jobs at this moment in time.

Of course, its a good point but the problem is the same fans will kick off day and night that the club hasn't shown enough ambition and spent enough money on players etc etc.

Troubles is, having done a tour of the ground on matchday, I realise how many employees are needed. If many of the 55 are matchday only then it may not be such a dramatic decision.

Arsenal have some very well paid players on their books who are not contributing at all and this news is not helping the fans patience especially if they lose their best player.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Of course, its a good point but the problem is the same fans will kick off day and night that the club hasn't shown enough ambition and spent enough money on players etc etc.

Yep thats about half a years wages for Arsenals upper earners. Pretty shameful really, there must have been other avenues to explore IF those guys n gals meant anything to the club. A pound to a pinch of shoite when extra people are needed itll be temps on zero hours contracts. There is so much to dislike about the beautiful game right now. In fact  ,  beauty fades......

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Troubles is, having done a tour of the ground on matchday, I realise how many employees are needed. If many of the 55 are matchday only then it may not be such a dramatic decision.

I think you'll find most clubs outsource the match day positions now, e.g. stewards will all be contractors for a security company. 

And in the news it says they are in the football, administration and commercial departments.

Should imagine ticket office staff will be among them as they haven't got any work to do, and you'd need fewer people to flog hospitality boxes or corporate experiences, and possibly fewer people working in sponsorship's... think about Carrow Road, who is going to be renewing their sponsorship board on the South Stand, cameras never show them! 

Redundancies just make sense I'm afraid, you can't pay people to do nothing indefinitely. 

Norwich City have removed a lot of staff from the Furlough scheme with an e-mail stating it ceased at the end of July, thanking them for their loyalty and hope to reinstate them when crowds are allowed back in the stadium.

Source.....' Er Indoors who is one of them.

23 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Norwich City have removed a lot of staff from the Furlough scheme with an e-mail stating it ceased at the end of July, thanking them for their loyalty and hope to reinstate them when crowds are allowed back in the stadium.

Sorry to hear that Tilly, hopefully it isn’t for too long. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Redundancies just make sense I'm afraid, you can't pay people to do nothing indefinitely. 

Seemingly they can pay 350k a week for Ozil to do nothing though....

38 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Sad, fingers crossed she is back soon.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Sorry to hear that Tilly, hopefully it isn’t for too long. 

Same thing has happened to her at Yarmouth racecourse.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

I did suspect that might be the case. They've had track trouble again this week and had to abandon racing. These racecourses are taking one hell of a hit and it's hard to see how they can reopen when the punters are always freely milling about, at least with most spectator sports people will largely stay in one place to watch it. Like I said, hopefully isn't for too long. 👍

4 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

Seemingly they can pay 350k a week for Ozil to do nothing though....

Sure, but you can't make a professional footballer redundant as they aren't normal employment contracts. 

Is there a better example right now of somebody being literally redundant than somebody whose job it is to sell tickets to events? It's unlucky and unfortunate, but external factors mean that they have no job to do. 

Even in the event of spectators being allowed to return to football they still won't need probably 90 percent of the ticket office staff due to the limited capacity. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

10 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Ouch! That's a toughie, two in fact, Tillo. Here's hoping that 'things' can get back to some semblance of normality soon enough. 

Progress in getting things going over here has been delayed due to clusters of infection. Meat factories, Traveller communities and direct provision centres for refugees hardest hit lately. Pubs opening set back by another 3 weeks. Banks laying off staff , chains of shops closing for ever. Just goes to show how finely balanced a 'normal' economy is.  Less than 6 months of this pandemic and previously secure employment is disappearing, fast. 

You can't help but think and hope the gravy train for footballers is about to come to a grinding halt. But not if Arsenal are anything to go by as they linked with Willian, Coutinho loan and of course they still need to extend the contract of Aubameryang.

Contracts are one thing but salaries of the 55 must be peanuts in comparison.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

You can't help but think and hope the gravy train for footballers is about to come to a grinding halt. But not if Arsenal are anything to go by as they linked with Willian, Coutinho loan and of course they still need to extend the contract of Aubameryang.

Although I agree wholeheartedly Pantso, I fear that the greedy will not change their ways, unless forced upon them. This would have to come from the very top of footy, who havent exactly covered themselves in glory in the last few years, so while I support radical change and overhaul of the ever spiralling wage structure within the top echelons of football, I won't be holding my breath. 

• Like 1

Did I not read that some of the people laid off are in the recruitment department because they're moving away from scout based system?

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Football cannot be immune from the economic fallout of the pandemic. Personally i am wondering if i want to bother with televised football next season at least in terms of the Sky model. If i could pay solely for City matches i would.

11 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I did suspect that might be the case. They've had track trouble again this week and had to abandon racing. These racecourses are taking one hell of a hit and it's hard to see how they can reopen when the punters are always freely milling about, at least with most spectator sports people will largely stay in one place to watch it. Like I said, hopefully isn't for too long. 👍

Double whammy there for Tilly’s OH. It may be some time before the leisure industry gets back to any kind of ‘ normal ‘.

The Peterborough greyhound stadium has had to close permanently. They ran a very slick operation and used to do a roaring trade. Always a good evening’s entertainment.

Sad to see.

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

13 hours ago, shaunieboy77 said:

Sell Ozil , who never plays and is on 350k a week

I think that they would love to if they could!

Sure, but you can't make a professional footballer redundant as they aren't normal employment contracts. 

Its the same old argument though. You make jobs redundant, not people. SO if they are outsourcing jobs like security it isn't redundancy as such. They just aren't using that source.

But if they are ticket office then eventually they will have to make jobs available. The law used to be six months before you can do that.

This has been a grand opportunity to take the players and their contracts on. But I don't think the clubs have the nerve to do it. Its quite pathetic that Ozil sits on his orifice on £350K a week while that 55 staffs wages would be nowhere near that.

In fact, it is fcukin disgusting. Surely this crisis has shown us the world for what it is and we should be making a new start.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

This has been a grand opportunity to take the players and their contracts on. But I don't think the clubs have the nerve to do it. Its quite pathetic that Ozil sits on his orifice on £350K a week while that 55 staffs wages would be nowhere near that.

In fact, it is fcukin disgusting. Surely this crisis has shown us the world for what it is and we should be making a new start.

If they were all on 25k a year, then it's the equivalent of 1 months wages for Ozil to cover all of them for that year (and still have 25k spare)...

If that doesn't show how disgusting the situation is, nothing will.

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

While there is not one malcontent on here about our club?

What do you mean!? We are the most positive fans out there #deliaout 😉

4 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

That was the feeling on here when the virus first hit but it didn't last long. As soon as 'football' restarted so did the calls for more and more money for players to pocket.

What will it take to halt the juggernaut...

Miguel Delaney has been consistently excellent on this sort of thing- great article here... https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-redundancies-latest-news-miguel-delaney-a9655826.html

Particularly this part

"It is all merely an example of the unfeeling hyper-capitalism that has come to engulf the game – particularly among the super-clubs.

Many might say that’s just business – that’s the world football clubs operate in. But that makes stressing this point all the more necessary, and means clubs should be very vocally reminded of it more often.

Football clubs are supposed to be much more than businesses. They’re social institutions, community assets. They have a moral obligation beyond business. Too many have forgotten that. This is just part of a tapestry.

It makes it all the more tragically laughable that, next week, Arsenal are one of six clubs set to announce a commercial partnership based on the idea of giving back to community.

Developments raise the question over whether they even know the meaning of the words any more. They know how to pay lip service, for business purposes.

Just another skewed priority, and far removed from what football clubs are supposed to be about."