Sign in to follow this  
zema abbey football genius

City Old Boys

Is Holty still playing? 😁

How we could have done with someone with his guile and aggression and leadership last season.

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

West Ham are/were a bigger club than us, mid-table in the Premier League at the time and within six months of the transfer Ashton had played in an FA Cup final and been called up to the England squad. We were struggling in our promotion push and ultimately ended up in League One before the Premier League again.

I fail to see how he only moved for the money. 

I didn't suggest he only moved for the money, more that I could understand the resentment amongst fans.

It's a bit revisionist to mention all of the above, when he left we'd been relegated the summer previous and West Ham had gone up through the playoffs after a couple of seasons in Div1/Championship.

21 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

I didn't suggest he only moved for the money, more that I could understand the resentment amongst fans.

It's a bit revisionist to mention all of the above, when he left we'd been relegated the summer previous and West Ham had gone up through the playoffs after a couple of seasons in Div1/Championship.

But West Ham were still bigger than us, and were in no danger of relegation with a reasonably talented young side around the time. 

Personally, I never could understand the resentment from our fans and still can't. Ashton was far too good to languish in a mid-table, Playoff challenging team. He was easily a Premier League player and he was called up to the England squad that summer, so that shows the level we were at.

Why on earth would he stay?

With Ashton it was his mercenary behaviour that got to me. Signed a new contract when we went down. Ambled around the pitch looking uninterested till Christmas then the week before the transfer window opens turns in on and gets a hatrick. Highly unprofessional. Yes he was too good for us at the time and we all knew it but don't rinse the club of.money they don't really have if you were Intending to leave.

• Thanks 1

On 05/08/2020 at 12:09, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

We were in the Championship at the time and they moved to Premier League clubs. 

I really don't know why we hold a grudge against young men who are only trying to further their careers.

I remember this confused me back when Clingan was sold- we needed the cash and he didn't want to play in League One. 

Find it so odd to bear a grudge against talented youngsters testing themselves at a higher level. Not like either Murphy or Redmond went on strike or forced us to accept lower offers.

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Wasn't he slagging the squad and teammates off at an after match lunch, saying that we have no chance of getting promoted with this squad and manager, then leaving only to get relegated at the same time as we got promoted? 

He hasn't managed to nail down a place in the Huddersfield squad this season, has 0 goals in 17 appearances, spent a lot of the season on the bench. Feels very much like a backwards signing. 

Small man with a big ego. Thought he was better than he turned out to be.

Got his comeuppance 

1 hour ago, The Raptor said:

With Ashton it was his mercenary behaviour that got to me. Signed a new contract when we went down. Ambled around the pitch looking uninterested till Christmas then the week before the transfer window opens turns in on and gets a hatrick. Highly unprofessional. Yes he was too good for us at the time and we all knew it but don't rinse the club of.money they don't really have if you were Intending to leave.

He didn't have to sign a new contract, did he? He could've pushed to leave in the summer as soon as we went down.

Let's not get all romantic people.

Getting back any of Brady/Pritchard/Murphy(s)/Reed/Grabban/Bennett/Ashton/Holt😉 is anything but a forward step. 

The most hyped of those atm is Reed but let' see if he is a regular starter in the Prem, and where Fulham finish. 

Redmond did go missing in his last season with us, did not want the ball, hid from passes etc. He needed an arm round his shoulder and a shot of confidence. He seems to have had that at Saints.

Madders? Well..........