Sign in to follow this  
zema abbey football genius

City Old Boys

Shackell was vastly underrated for us IMHO, and compared to many of the other players we've had since he left, he'd have been better than a large majority of them.

5 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

He might just be able to clean them.

At least Jacob would not spend half the game on his **** complaining 

Brady has not lived up to the hype that surrounded him after his success at the Euros....or was it the world cup. Never ever really got to those heights again at club level apart from the very, very, occasional flash of inspiration. Some players are like that, once they start to believe their own hype, they lose the ability to express themselves as they did before and they start to lose their way.

Elliot Bennett on the other hand - as I mentioned earlier - is now club captain at Blackburn - and has continued to show good character and ability despite injuries - technically very good too, so would fit in with the Farke way.

I dream of the time when Maddison returns, back to finish his career at a club he clearly holds close to his heart. Not reliant on pace, he’s still a class above and pushes us to become an established PL side (if such a thing exists), taking us into Europe and joining the likes of Hucks, Wes and Holty as recent true Norwich City legends.

Nice dream

40 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Brady has not lived up to the hype that surrounded him after his success at the Euros....or was it the world cup. Never ever really got to those heights again at club level apart from the very, very, occasional flash of inspiration. Some players are like that, once they start to believe their own hype, they lose the ability to express themselves as they did before and they start to lose their way.

Elliot Bennett on the other hand - as I mentioned earlier - is now club captain at Blackburn - and has continued to show good character and ability despite injuries - technically very good too, so would fit in with the Farke way.

Just no way, nice bloke though. 

On 05/08/2020 at 16:41, Canary Wundaboy said:

RVW if he didn't mind playing in the Champs.

I found it very odd when Neil Adams gave him an insulting squad number, made it pretty clear that he wanted to push him out. 

The grown up way to do it would have been to let him keep his squad number and then tell him to his face, in his office, like a real man instead of a petty vindictive weasel. 

And in hindsight I do wonder whether a better manager would have disciplined Sebastien Bassong and then got him back on side after coaxing out an apology in front of the squad, rather than exiling him when we could really have done with him in the back 5 (as evidenced when he came back under Alex Neil).

Neil Adams only has Bryan Gunn to thank for not being the oddest managerial appointment in our history. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

21 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Brady has not lived up to the hype that surrounded him after his success at the Euros....or was it the world cup. Never ever really got to those heights again at club level apart from the very, very, occasional flash of inspiration. Some players are like that, once they start to believe their own hype, they lose the ability to express themselves as they did before and they start to lose their way

Eh? He's just injury problems. A mid-table Premier League side have just extended his contract.

48 minutes ago, zema abbey football genius said:

I’d probably have Grabban back too...proven goalscorer in the Championship...and Johnson won’t sh@g his missus this time 😂

Good call, although we would probably be unable to persuade Bournemouth to buy him again if it didn’t work out this time 🤣

12 hours ago, zema abbey football genius said:

I’d probably have Grabban back too...proven goalscorer in the Championship...and Johnson won’t sh@g his missus this time 😂

Any coincidence in the fact that Johnson and Grabban have both ended up in the East Midlands area 😂

Honestly, when does players coming back work?  Not very often.  We've been burned by that before with Fleck etc

Edited by seanthecanary

On 05/08/2020 at 22:38, lake district canary said:

I don't think it's a case of Brady believing the hype about himself more constant injuries 

7 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

I don't think it's a case of Brady believing the hype about himself more constant injuries 

I just remember being underwhelmed by his contributions for us apart from the very occasional odd flash of class and then his lack of form in the season he left made me think he was not really committed to the job at hand.

On 05/08/2020 at 12:27, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But many years after Dean Ashton left there were still some people on this board calling him 'Cashton'

I personally think it was a bit different with Ashton.  Firstly it was clear that signing him in January '05 was a mistake, and we should have got him in the previous summer - so everyone felt like him being at the club for only a year meant we'd missed out.

Also, if I remember correctly, after a poor start we'd turned a corner in December 2005 and were either on the edge of or just inside the playoff spots.  The whole Ashton affair then unsettled the team, got the KTF/WO debates going again, and we just stumbled to the end of the season.  It did feel, at the time, that he only left for the money because we could have potentially pushed on that season and West Ham were a newly promoted club.  Not forgetting the whole 'injury' debacle which kept him out of the West Ham cup game.

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I just remember being underwhelmed by his contributions for us apart from the very occasional odd flash of class and then his lack of form in the season he left made me think he was not really committed to the job at hand.

I think that's true of a lot of players once their head has been turned though.  I still think that Dean Ashton is one of the best strikers I have seen at City since Chris Sutton.  His move to West Ham and the fee commanded was due to his performances for us in the Premier League though and not the close to 1 in 3 strike rate he had in the Championship after relegation.

12 hours ago, City fan said:

John Hartson. Moved like a he was floating. 

You have the 'a' in the wrong place. 

A floating what.................?

13 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Eh? He's just injury problems. A mid-table Premier League side have just extended his contract.

If Burnley sold him now, what would they get for him? They paid a lot (£13M) for him 3 and a half years ago. That would translate into what these days, upwards of £20M? He's not near that valuation at all

I would say they wouldn't get anywhere near £13M at today's prices either. 

Burnley fans were not too impressed with him at the beginning. I have a friend who was a Burnley season ticket holder, and he was desperate for us to take Brady back and definitely thought they paid way too much for him. Has never shone in an average team. Yes, he has had injury problems, as his appearance record over 9 seasons shows, but he will be one of those footballers that you will soon forget about.

38 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:
46 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I think that's true of a lot of players once their head has been turned though. 

Some do and I think that is why a transfer window at the beginning of a season is so divisive - it makes getting a squad focussed very difficult.  But I do lose respect for those players that make it obvious they have switched off or are clearly mentally elsewhere - it is unprofessional and disrespectful to the fans of the club they are at. Brady (imo) was one of those who did that.  Maybe they can't help it, but that is a weakness of attitude imo.

Brady is a decent shout as is Redmond but I think @Feedthewolf suggestion of Reed is probably the most realistic/useful for us right now.

Would also love to have seen more of Pritchard and Farke clearly loved him.

Edited by king canary

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

Brady is a decent shout as is Redmond but I think @Feedthewolf suggestion of Reed is probably the most realistic/useful for us right now.

Is Reed realistic though? Southampton look likely to lose Højbjerg and may see Reed as his replacement. If not then his performances for Fulham may interest them to sign him permanently. Can't help but feel we are not even close to the front of the queue 

36 minutes ago, king canary said:

Wasn't he slagging the squad and teammates off at an after match lunch, saying that we have no chance of getting promoted with this squad and manager, then leaving only to get relegated at the same time as we got promoted? 

He hasn't managed to nail down a place in the Huddersfield squad this season, has 0 goals in 17 appearances, spent a lot of the season on the bench. Feels very much like a backwards signing. 

17 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

Is Reed realistic though? Southampton look likely to lose Højbjerg and may see Reed as his replacement. If not then his performances for Fulham may interest them to sign him permanently. Can't help but feel we are not even close to the front of the queue 

I get the sense Southampton don't see him as a Premier League player. He's 25 now and has been loaned out every season pretty much.

With Fulham, I wonder if they get a bit starry eyed again once promoted.

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

Wasn't he slagging the squad and teammates off at an after match lunch, saying that we have no chance of getting promoted with this squad and manager, then leaving only to get relegated at the same time as we got promoted? 

He hasn't managed to nail down a place in the Huddersfield squad this season, has 0 goals in 17 appearances, spent a lot of the season on the bench. Feels very much like a backwards signing. 

Not anything I've heard- all I know is that according to reports Pritchard being sold was one of the big disagreements Farke and Webber have had since they were here.

Just now, king canary said:

I get the sense Southampton don't see him as a Premier League player. He's 25 now and has been loaned out every season pretty much.

With Fulham, I wonder if they get a bit starry eyed again once promoted.

Media seem to think he's joining Fulham for £8m.

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Media seem to think he's joining Fulham for £8m.

Bit of a bargain in the current market.

Even if they do I wonder if he becomes available in January- Fulham may spend and he might find himself a bit part player.

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

Bit of a bargain in the current market.

Even if they do I wonder if he becomes available in January- Fulham may spend and he might find himself a bit part player.

Is he actually any good? 

Thought he was really average here for us, did we actually try to get him back for the promotion season? 

Granted he may be a better player now after 2 further seasons of football, and he does now have the Championship experience that Farke said he wants to bring in. 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Is he actually any good? 

Thought he was really average here for us, did we actually try to get him back for the promotion season? 

Granted he may be a better player now after 2 further seasons of football, and he does now have the Championship experience that Farke said he wants to bring in. 

Fulham fans really rate him, does a lot of the dirty work so Cairney and Co can play freely. Mobile, good in the tackle and generally a very tidy player. 

I imagine we didnt try and get him back as he ended up at Blackburn but I get the sense he has improved. 

I dont think he's likely to end up back here but I wouldn't be upset if he did.

2 hours ago, ncfcstar said:

I personally think it was a bit different with Ashton.  Firstly it was clear that signing him in January '05 was a mistake, and we should have got him in the previous summer - so everyone felt like him being at the club for only a year meant we'd missed out.

Also, if I remember correctly, after a poor start we'd turned a corner in December 2005 and were either on the edge of or just inside the playoff spots.  The whole Ashton affair then unsettled the team, got the KTF/WO debates going again, and we just stumbled to the end of the season.  It did feel, at the time, that he only left for the money because we could have potentially pushed on that season and West Ham were a newly promoted club.  Not forgetting the whole 'injury' debacle which kept him out of the West Ham cup game.

West Ham are/were a bigger club than us, mid-table in the Premier League at the time and within six months of the transfer Ashton had played in an FA Cup final and been called up to the England squad. We were struggling in our promotion push and ultimately ended up in League One before the Premier League again.

I fail to see how he only moved for the money.