Sign in to follow this  
zema abbey football genius

City Old Boys

There’s been a few rumours flying around recently regarding former players potentially returning to CR. Many of the views on here have been negative towards the players linked (Bennett and Martin) - I was wondering who would be welcomed back (if money was no object)?

Limited to players still actually playing ( & discounting Maddison and Kane) I would go for Nathan Redmond.

I would not be disappointed to see Josh Murphy return

RVW...? 🙊

Thoughts? 

There isn't many playing in their prime that are playing at a higher level etc that I would want here.

Apart from the 3 you named, Redmond Kane & Maddison

How much would it cost to bring those 3 in, not much change from £200m.

Josh 'moved on for far bigger things blud yeah im gonna play for England and United soon' and now mostly rots on the bench at Cardiff and Redmond had a similar attitude so no I don't really like the idea of either of them coming back here really

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Josh 'moved on for far bigger things blud yeah im gonna play for England and United soon' and now mostly rots on the bench at Cardiff and Redmond had a similar attitude so no I don't really like the idea of either of them coming back here really

We were in the Championship at the time and they moved to Premier League clubs. 

I really don't know why we hold a grudge against young men who are only trying to further their careers.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I really don't know why we hold a grudge against young men who are only trying to further their careers.

I still hold a grudge against Marshall  for going down the road.

Generally tho i wish them the best. 

3 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

I still hold a grudge against Marshall  for going down the road.

Generally tho i wish them the best. 

Marshall is a little bit different because of where he went to, yes.

But many years after Dean Ashton left there were still some people on this board calling him 'Cashton', and players such as the Murphy twins, Redmond and several others who left a Championship side for a Premier League move still get criticised.

What are they supposed to do? Turn down a huge pay rise and what could be their only opportunity to play in the Premier League (or the last chance they get to play in it, for those who have already played there)?

Elliot Bennett, now club captain at Blackburn. Great example of a model professional footballer, a good age (31) to impart his experience to younger players and still decent as an option on the right either as a winger or right back. 

24 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

I wouldn’t mind Jacob Murphy back especially if/when Buendia departs.

You think Jacob could fill Emi's boots?

4 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Not a chance. Think we did well to get the fees we got for them.

Both have struggled after so called 'bigger' moves. 

3 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

He might just be able to clean them.

RVW if he didn't mind playing in the Champs. Maddison obviously. Kane up front would be a no-brainer. It's been observed on here recently that players rarely go on to have really illustrious, top-level careers after leaving NCFC, perhaps that's a damning indictment of a transfer system that bought in potential, or a system that never really improved anyone while they were here. Only recently has this seemingly changed.

Jed Steer is a good keeper and good with his feet.

And he's homegrown, McGovern is not.

So I'd go with him. 

Rudd and Lewis would also be McGovern upgrades but Steer would make more sense due to being able to use his feet. 

6 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Would we take Jacob Murphy back on loan? If he wages were acceptable?

Or have we moved on?

I feel that Josh is the more well rounded of the Murphy twins, but I think we've moved on. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

22 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Neither of the Murphy’s would fill me with excitement, definitely received the going rate when they left. 

Agreed - I think both thought they were far better than they actually were / are. Neither made the grade in the PL at all and their careers have stalled / stagnated. To my mind they never fulfilled the outrageous potential from that Youth Cup winning team when they played without fear and showed the kind of lightning pace I've very rarely seen on a football field before or since.

3 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Agreed - I think both thought they were far better than they actually were / are. Neither made the grade in the PL at all and their careers have stalled / stagnated. To my mind they never fulfilled the outrageous potential from that Youth Cup winning team when they played without fear and showed the kind of lightning pace I've very rarely seen on a football field before or since.

Not bad players but couldn’t kick on to the next level. Even in Championship sides they are frequently benched. Both went for £10m plus so Norwich should definitely be asking for near double that for a player like Lewis with numerous international caps at such a young age. 

Harrison Reed. Tenacious, physical, decent distribution, cover at RB.

Either Elliott Bennett or Ryan Bertrand would be good senior pros to guide the younger players.

Or if we decide to play three at the back, Robbie Brady perhaps? I seem to recall him playing as a RWB to great effect against Man Citeh a few years back, so he could offer depth on either side, in defence or midfield.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Harrison Reed. Tenacious, physical, decent distribution, cover at RB.

Either Elliott Bennett or Ryan Bertrand would be good senior pros to guide the younger players.

Or if we decide to play three at the back, Robbie Brady perhaps? I seem to recall him playing as a RWB to great effect against Man Citeh a few years back, so he could offer depth on either side, in defence or midfield.

Missed the boat on Harrison, Elliot Bennett is just not good enough and Brady would cost what we would never spend. 

16 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Missed the boat on Harrison, Elliot Bennett is just not good enough and Brady would cost what we would never spend. 

I'm not suggesting that we actually go for these players, I'm just throwing others into the mix who might be considered in the context of the OP. Of the four I mentioned, the only one I'd genuinely love us to sign is Reed, but as you say he's not a feasible target.

I'd still rather have Ruddy here as cover for Krul than I would McGovern as at least he's shown he's able to play at the top level at one point, whereas the likes of Rudd and Steer just haven't.

As for the rest, the only ones worth considering are the ones we could never afford e.g. Mads, Kane etc.

1 hour ago, norfolkngood said:

Jason Shackell To Old Now But always rated him 

He was in that top drawer team him in defence and Dean Ashton hammering away up front 

• Like 1