Sign in to follow this  
NeymarSmith

Missed opportunity for striker reinforcement?

I see rangers have just recently signed Kemar roofe.

Surely that's an opportunity missed as rangers don't have a lot of money to throw around and I'd assume we could better their wage offer.

He is 27, decent in the champ, used to playing up top on his own, seemingly affordable. Missed opportunity I think there for us.

• Like 1

Actually pretty gutted about that...I think his wages are relatively high but proven at this level. Disappointing if we didn’t have a sniff around.

Had a poor season in Belgium apparently.

While he could have been a good addition he would probably be behind Pukki - while at Rangers he’ll be a starter. 

Think for a number of reasons (age, wages, game time etc) it is a move that wouldn’t have made sense for Norwich. 

• Like 1

I would think the club has its targets, those identified way back

...........and are not determined simply by who becomes available

18 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

High wages, european football. Yep, no idea why he chose Rangers.

I would think our wage budget would be higher than wages. Look at the tv revenue the spl gets. Granted they get Europa League football money, but I don't think that is mega money, I'd guess premier League money is more, hence why I'd suggest we could atleast rival rangers money.

And as for European football pull, we can match that with the offer of a good chance of premier League football I'd say.

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

I would think the club has its targets, those identified way back

...........and are not determined simply by who becomes available

Oh right. Sorry I brought it up, I've embarrassed myself here.

Moreover @Bill I was just stating that Roofe has moved to someone I thought we would equal and I stated my opinion on how he would tick a lot of boxes for us, ie. Affordable, proven championship, not over the hill, fits into a passing game and can play the lone striker role. He may also have felt it would be a good chance to get into the premier League and have a crack himself. 

I think last time he was in the champ he pushed pukki for the golden boot, so he may feel with the age difference on his side and his pace, that he could push pukki off top spot.

But yes, I realise that he clearly wasn't a target the club looked at, and has gone. So sorry @Bill for posting this topic on this forum. 

For future reference, where may I post it? Be kind, it's pre watershed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

I would think our wage budget would be higher than wages. Look at the tv revenue the spl gets. Granted they get Europa League football money, but I don't think that is mega money, I'd guess premier League money is more, hence why I'd suggest we could atleast rival rangers money.

And as for European football pull, we can match that with the offer of a good chance of premier League football I'd say.

I Think I get what you are saying,  and you may be right ref wages, maybe not. Roofe is a proven goalscorer in  champs , granted. Maybe he feels playing well in european games will showcase him better than the champs ( he's been there , donethat). Maybe hes a fan of  deep fried Mars  Bars. Maybe we missed a trick, maybe dodged a bullet. Wont lose sleep over it. Wouldn't have been upset if he had signed for us though. Decent pacy striker.

Edited by wcorkcanary

Actually @Bill, apologies there for my sarccy post above, I've gone well over the top there! 

Got my knickers right in a twist. I am sorry Chap.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wcorkcanary said:

I Think I get what you are saying,  and you may be right ref wages, maybe not. Roofe is a proven goalscorer in  champs , granted. Maybe he feels playing well in european games will showcase him better than the champs ( he's been there , donethat). Maybe hes a fan of  deep fried Mars  Bars. Maybe we missed a trick, maybe dodged a bullet. Wont lose sleep over it.

Yeah fair play, I we won't know. Seems like it would be a good fit, but as you said we will never know. 

Maybe we aren't in the market for a striker, and we will genuinely give drmic a chance in this league, I just can't imagine he would be keen, although I guess he hasn't a lot of other offers.

thanks for the words, no harm done

a bit of passion never goes amiss 🥰

I was actually speaking to a Belgian friend last night who brought Roofe up; I'd completely missed that he had signed for Rangers. Apparently he had s very disappointing season there and Anderlecht have sold him for about £4m, which represents a loss.

At that price, he would've been worth a punt, providing his wages were within our budget and he wouldn't have minded a fight for the shirt with Pukki.

The main issue with bringing in someone like Roofe, who’d only come if told he’s going to get a good amount of game time, is that any minutes he gets will be at the expense of Idah. 

If Norwich believe Idah is good enough then he has to play. Developing a young striker and giving him game time is far harder then doing so with a full back, which tend to be less pressurised positions. 

There is a tough decision to be made at Norwich. It seems certain that Drmic will leave, Norwich will need three strikers next season but whether Idah is second or third choice is the big question. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I was actually speaking to a Belgian friend last night who brought Roofe up

Is your friend not the biological parent then? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The main issue with bringing in someone like Roofe, who’d only come if told he’s going to get a good amount of game time, is that any minutes he gets will be at the expense of Idah. 

If Norwich believe Idah is good enough then he has to play. Developing a young striker and giving him game time is far harder then doing so with a full back, which tend to be less pressurised positions. 

There is a tough decision to be made at Norwich. It seems certain that Drmic will leave, Norwich will need three strikers next season but whether Idah is second or third choice is the big question. 

It's a fine balancing act. It looks like we'll have Pukki, Idah and a new signing, but what do we want from the third striker?

Do we want a Rhodes-esque backup, so Pukki will be undisputed starter and Idah gets more game time? It's very risky because if Pukki gets injured or struggles for form we haven't got another quality player to come in.

Or do we spend a few million on someone to compete with Pukki, which costs more money and limits Idah to the 'Srbeny role' where he might not start a game all season?

Pukki, Idah & Sinani.

I thought Sinani was more of winger/no10 but looks like he will be used as a striker.

Maybe 1 more in.

23 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Pukki, Idah & Sinani.

I thought Sinani was more of winger/no10 but looks like he will be used as a striker.

Maybe 1 more in.

Those as the only three options would worry me. 

Pukki won't have much pressure for his position and if he gets injured, needs a rest (let's remember it's a 46-game season in eight months instead of the usual nine) or drops out of form I don't think Idah and Sinani between them can lead the attack. 

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The bit in bold hammers it out of the park and is the key point IMO. There will be plenty of opportunities for younger players next season by dint of the extra league games compared to the Premiership, not to mention the fact that even by Championship standards, the games will be coming through especially thick and fast so recuperation between matches - as well as an ability to control the pace of games - will be absolutely vital. Not to mention with Pukki we'll have international call-ups to think about (or indeed Drmic could well still be playing for the Swiss).

If Drmic goes, Idah is number two. Idah can definitely use a run of matches at this level, and ideally from the start. Roofe would have got in the way of this. Sinani seems to have a knack of popping up with goals as well, going off his record in Europe with Dudelange. I expect they'll have him in mind up top (instead of Stiepi, thank God!)

3 hours ago, NeymarSmith said:

Actually @Bill, apologies there for my sarccy post above, I've gone well over the top there! 

Got my knickers right in a twist. I am sorry Chap.

Fair play for this post.

1 minute ago, seanthecanary said:

Fair play for this post.

Agreed. @NeymarSmith needs to learn the way of the Pinkun (double down, use lots of CAPITALS, then completely disappear when proven wrong).

• Haha 1

Adam Idah is capable of playing in the Championship as his hat trick at Preston in the FA Cup shows.

I am assuming the coaching staff will be looking for goals from many positions. Przemyslaw looks to have an eye for goal. And one of Todd or Emi should weigh in.

And with probably only one starter up front, it would be hard to bring in someone good enough but who will be expected to maybe play second fiddle.

I really hope Idah gets his opportunity as well so we might have to settle for promise or just backup. We need to look for a Billy Sharp type maybe.

11 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Adam Idah is capable of playing in the Championship as his hat trick at Preston in the FA Cup shows.

I think a bigger sample size of 90mins against the Preston reserves is needed before that call can be made. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think a bigger sample size of 90mins against the Preston reserves is needed before that call can be made. 

As I said straight after the Preston game-it wasn’t exactly the reserves we were playing against.

2F9651C0-B59A-4059-BF6F-DCE63E1AD022.jpeg.1ae1b3b3b6846a9dc410605a2fb6c6ed.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

As I said straight after the Preston game-it wasn’t exactly the reserves we were playing against.

2F9651C0-B59A-4059-BF6F-DCE63E1AD022.jpeg.1ae1b3b3b6846a9dc410605a2fb6c6ed.jpeg

I think the key change was the goalkeeper though who made mistakes for two of Idah’s goals. 

Idah also played against Crawley and look well off the pace that game. That doesn’t mean he’s not good enough for League 2 in the same way a good performance against Preston means he’s good enough for the Championship.

He looks a good prospect, but no one can say with any confidence right now whether he’s ready to be Norwich’s 2nd choice striker for a season in the Championship. Hopefully he can get some serious game time under his belt this season and show what he is capable of doing. But I would be nervous of going into the season with just Pukki, Idah and Sinani as the strikers. 

If Pukki is with us for next season, I'll happily accept no new striker additions. Pukki can, and I think will, replicate his last championship season. It's all about the supply... 

• Like 1

Pukki has been a shadow of his former self and were he to be injured I cannot say I would be overwhelmed by only have Idah and Sinani, both unproven at senior level.

The question then is do we sign a Rhodes type of player to get us back into the PL, and no more

Or a player likely to be able to step up - should we go up ?

Pukki may not have been at his best since the New Year, but in truth, neither has been his supply either, so is it any surprise that his goals dried up at the same time as we did as a team?

He can't play as a target man/hold up player, if he drifts to the side we don't have the players pushing up to give him passing options, and without the likes of Vrancic giving him wonderful through balls to work off, he's simply been left as a lonely figure who's constantly having to drop deep to try to make something happen.

Pukki hasn't become poor overnight, but unless we can restore his supply levels, he'll continue to struggle for goals, and I don't blame him for snatching at chances on the rare occasions we've managed to give him something half-decent to work with.

Surely someone versatile like Roofe would be a good idea as he could also play on the wing if necessary and get game time there.

2 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Surely someone versatile like Roofe would be a good idea as he could also play on the wing if necessary and get game time there.

Do you really think we need more wingers at this point TJ?

Our priority has to be replacing Drmic with a geninuely good striker who can challenge/replace Pukki, and ability to play on the wing doesn't factor into this equation for me.

Not saying Roofe wouldn't have been a decent consideration, but role flexibility has to take a back door to performance in the key position, otherwise we end up with a team of McLean's and Rupp's instead...