8 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Nice. Lewis should now be aware that top clubs are on the radar. He should now, if his head is screwed on properly, be really champing at the bit next season to really show them what he can do. Meanwhile, McCallum should also be thinking "he could go in January, I had better push!"

If Lewis downs tools or loses focus with the contract he has, it will be somewhat make-or-break re. his career. If he keeps performing, other Premiership clubs will definitely be looking with interest. And, more pertinently, they should pay us more.

To be fair, he also knows that he isn't yet a player who would be first choice at a top club. There's a long way to go in this window and a lot more money to be spent, so everyone can afford to be patient.

It would be quite amusing though if we sell no one - we'll have about 30 in the first team squad......

4 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

It's over boys, we're going bust.

Regardless of covid changing the transfer market or not, homegrown players in their early 20s cost a premium. It's just the way it works. Don't see why Liverpool are crying about it, they tried to low ball us, we said no. Dry your eyes 

• Like 1

Aw, so those poor bumpkins from Norwich don’t know that we should give our assets away when the great Liverpool want to rip us off?  Er, ok.

Edited by Branston Pickle

It is hilarious that Liverpool fans are so astonished that little old Norwich told them where to go. The entitlement knows no bounds. So they're paying £12m for a Greek full back who has never played in the EPL, as a dependable deputy to Robertson - I hope that goes well for them, given how successful Greek players have been in the EPL so far.....

I saw quite a few posters on this topic saying Pool and Norwich could meet in the middle...around 15 mill...also that this Lewis to Liverpool saga could drag on for sometime....nope.  I posted just a day or two ago saying Pool had the Olympiakos guy lined up and that we would know in a few short days.

Also...to many City fans seem to under estimate Webber..he said on record in his interview that the starting price for any of City's young first teamers would be 20 million. Not even Liverpool can budge him from that and i firmly believe  he is right in sticking to that. Jamal and all the other young guns fully well knew where they stood when they signed long term contracts...City would let them go...if the price was right at the particular time.

30 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

It is promising to see hard-ball being played here. 

I mentioned earlier in the thread, that you are a mug if you don't take a premier league club to the cleaners when they try and sign your top young talent. Hull must be absolutely devastated to have only got 8m for Robertson. 

Lewis is still a young player and will know that another good season in the championship will allow him to get the move he wants in January or next summer - and importantly for us, to a club that is will pay the going rate. 

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you have said, I do feel for Lewis.

The chance to sign for Liverpool (and work under Klopp) has gone now - with Robertson aged 26 and the Greek signing 24. None of the other 'big' clubs - here or abroad - have been interested in signing him, so he'll probably stay here for a season or two until a lower mid-table PL stump up the cash. Probably not the move he really wants.

Liverpool are annoyingly good in the transfer market to be fair - they haven't been forced into paying above their valuation. They've just gone on to the next target, who was 1.75 million more.

25 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

To be fair, he also knows that he isn't yet a player who would be first choice at a top club. There's a long way to go in this window and a lot more money to be spent, so everyone can afford to be patient.

It would be quite amusing though if we sell no one - we'll have about 30 in the first team squad......

And have 12 million debt from covid...

It's pretty cheap of Liverpool to think they can pay less because of Covid. 

The player's value is still the same especially if their club doesn't want to sell. 

If he's only worth 8 - 10 million, he's not good enough to play for Liverpool. 

7 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

The chance to sign for Liverpool (and work under Klopp) has gone now - with Robertson aged 26 and the Greek signing 24. None of the other 'big' clubs - here or abroad - have been interested in signing him, so he'll probably stay here for a season or two until a lower mid-table PL stump up the cash. Probably not the move he really wants.

Liverpool are annoyingly good in the transfer market to be fair - they haven't been forced into paying above their valuation. They've just gone on to the next target, who was 1.75 million more.

I agree, it would have been nice for him to move to Liverpool and work under Klopp. To be fair, I'm sure City would have liked to have seen him go on to do good things at a big club, it enhances the reputation of our youngsters for one thing. However, we should not just roll over for Liverpool and let them sign a homegrown player in his early 20s below his value. Do that and it's silly offers all summer for the rest of the players. 

Edited by seanthecanary
  • Like 1

Can see him going to Leicester after they sell Chilwell which would be a good move for him. Harsh as it is to say, i just don't think he's good enough for Liverpool anyway and 8m isn't just derisory, it's downright insulting. Classless from Liverpool, they could have offered £15m plus a sell on, which is peanuts to them and got their man. Now Liverpool are going to have to sign their second or third choice, we have an unhappy unsettled player and players at the club will be annoyed and wary that the club will block their dream moves from happening. Everyone has lost in this situation

18 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

11 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

I agree, it would have been nice for him to move to Liverpool and work under Klopp. To be fair, I'm sure City would have liked to have seen him go on to do good things at a big club, it enhances the reputation of our youngsters for one thing. However, we should not just roll over for Liverpool and let them sign a homegrown player in his early 20s below his value. Do that and it's silly offers all summer for the rest of the players. 

19 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Surely that means Norwich are also annoyingly good in that they haven’t been forced into selling below their asking price.

53 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Oh dear. So Liverpool wanted to pay £8 m plus £2 m add ons and we said no. So we will regret it? What like maybe we’d sell for £5 m later? If they don’t value him at £20 m fair enough, that’s business. Webber sees £10 m upside on not accepting this deal - and maybe £5 m downside - decent odds thanks. 

So Lewis at Left Back then with the new lad from Coventry as backup, Aarons at Right Back with Byram as backup. Sounds good to me.

Cantwell or Buendia plus Godfrey to leave and fund the Covid shortfall. 

Edited by Surfer

Liverpool, like ourselves, are well-run. They are quite rightly not going to spend £20m+ on a reserve left-back in the same way Man City might do for instance.

Just a case of both buying and selling club sticking to their principles, no problem with that from either club. 

The only one I feel sorry for is Jamal Lewis from a purely professional point of view, in that it would have been a great move for him but he signed a long-contract and is only in this position as we gave him his chance. He seems a smart lad though, and whilst disappointed now (as I would be in his shoes), I'm sure he'll be professional about it and won't kick up a fuss. 

Edited by Bovril

2 minutes ago, Justin time said:

Surely that means Norwich are also annoyingly good in that they haven’t been forced into selling below their asking price.

I said further back in this thread that Liverpool were chancing their arm to try and get him cheaply. We have a price we'll accept and Liverpool weren't even close. They never wanted to negotiate, they wanted to bully us. Fair play to City for not allowing it. 

1 hour ago, vlad666 said:

I think we would only pay that fee after multiple clauses were met. I think the initial fee was about 1.5 million.   

A man can dream but ... Aarons, Byram, Lewis, and McCallum as our FBs next season would be fantastic.

What also shouldn't be missed alongside the unacceptable offer from Liverpool is the public way in which this has been played out. Their bid fuelled by 'journalists' reporting either through or on behalf of LFC was clearly designed to unsettle Lewis and push to accept the low offer. As the above posts have stated, we now have an unsettled player on our books and LFC walk away from this without any reprimand. It isn't the way that clubs should do business but there appears to be no sanction against this.  

• Like 2

As others have said, I feel sorry for Lewis because he might never have the opportunity to join a club the size of Liverpool again. Their alleged offer of £8m plus £2m in add-ons was taking the **** though, and I'm sure they know it.

As for talking about the Lewis and McCallum conundrum, let's not forget there are another eight weeks of the window and there's plenty of time for another club (or even Liverpool if the deal for Tsimikas falls through) to come in and pay the right money for him. £15m plus add-ons sounds right.

30 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Except that they've missed out on their first-choice target, while paying more for their second choice than their public valuation for their first-choice. Can you imagine the reaction here if we had done that?

• Like 1

Agree with Christoph that he'd be a good fit for Leicester if Chilwell gets his move and I think we'd get nearer to the £20m we're looking for. I'm happy we've stood firm.

Other than getting £22m for him, I think this has played out in the best possible way. It's out there that we were prepared to compromise, but Liverpool were not even prepared to meet halfway. Lewis will be gutted, but I just hope he's grown up enough to accept that £10m was just insulting to everybody involved- and Liverpool didn't want him enough to pay a realistic price.

Ironically, it could be that we keep all our youngsters now as clubs know we're gonna play hardball. Webber plays a blinder again.

8 minutes ago, NorthCarolinaYellow said:

A man can dream but ... Aarons, Byram, Lewis, and McCallum as our FBs next season would be fantastic.

If they let us play with thirteen players we may just sort out the defence

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Everyone has lost in this situation

I might respectfully disagree a bit. Provided that Lewis doesn't harbor ill well towards the club for not agreeing to terms, this is all sorts of good for us:

• Sets a firm tone/line for other offers throughout the window (and beyond)
  • Gets our name in the national and international conversation as a promoter of young talent
  • Demonstrates to future potential recruits that we can be a pathway to the best clubs in the world
  • Tells Liverpool to go f*ck themselves

😎 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

Other than getting £22m for him, I think this has played out in the best possible way. It's out there that we were prepared to compromise, but Liverpool were not even prepared to meet halfway. Lewis will be gutted, but I just hope he's grown up enough to accept that £10m was just insulting to everybody involved- and Liverpool didn't want him enough to pay a realistic price.

Ironically, it could be that we keep all our youngsters now as clubs know we're gonna play hardball. Webber plays a blinder again.

Really - then how do we keep our squad swollen in size by NINE new signings since January happy AND pay off the COVID debt, all with zero fans coming through the doors for God knows how long? You may admire Webber for 'standing up to those arrogant Scousers' (and in many respects I support that view) but if the same tactic is successfully repeated for the other so called 'Crown Jewels' then come late September some will HAVE to be sold to cover costs. We may yet regret sticking to '£20M or shove it'  position I fear.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

I agree with most of that, but the reality is we probably need to sell at least one of them to make up for the loss of revenue this last season because of the pandemic. I assume that is why Liverpool thought they could get away with such a low offer.

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

Really - then how do we keep our squad swollen in size by NINE new signings since January happy AND pay off the COVID debt, all with zero fans coming through the doors for God knows how long? You may admire Webber for 'standing up to those arrogant Scousers' (and in many respects I support that view) but if the same tactic is successfully repeated for the other so called 'Crown Jewels' then come late September some will HAVE to be sold to cover costs. We may yet regret sticking to '£20M or shove it'  position I fear.

Those nine new signings are mainly for loan and u23, ain't many of them for first team in a few weeks time.

27 minutes ago, Justin time said:

For sure. Liverpool's bid was way below what he is worth in today's market and Webber was right to reject it immediately. 

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Yes apparently we're going to be selling Lewis for 1.5 million in the near future. Gareth Hughes said it first. 

I like the subtle dig at Norwich, mentioning she feels sorry for Jamal Lewis. Does it seem more likely that you don't feel sorry for him and that you're just butthurt because you didn't get your player on the cheap? 

they were obviously not that arsed about Lewis if that's all they are gonna offer. Perhaps its a lucky escape for him in reality. If someone like leicester came in for nearer £20m then it'd be better for everyone.

16 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Except that they've missed out on their first-choice target, while paying more for their second choice than their public valuation for their first-choice. Can you imagine the reaction here if we had done that?

It seems that they haven't really placed much emphasis on the order of their transfer targets. They have probably got five decent left backs - all of similar ability - on their list, which means they can move on to the next target if the selling club is playing hard ball. They didn't seem to fight too hard to get Lewis. 

In respons to your latter point, we wanted to pay 5 million of Dennis Man, yet their owner wanted 15. I wouldn't be surprised if we bought 'Option B' for 6 million to replace Buendia.