23 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Chilwell to Chelsea, Lewis to Leicester?

This is my concern, seems the most likely way we will lose Lewis. He will get the gametime at Leicester he wouldn't have got at Liverpool.

You can't blame him if he's more than a little tempted by that.

I'd suggest that we probably want to sell Lewis, if we can get 20+ for him. I think he is the only one we have a ready made replacement for. We didn't spent the cash in January for the Coventry lad to sit on the bench.

7 minutes ago, South Sider said:

This is my concern, seems the most likely way we will lose Lewis. He will get the gametime at Leicester he wouldn't have got at Liverpool.

You can't blame him if he's more than a little tempted by that.

Yep. If I were him, it looks like a good move, similar role, game time, references from Maddison. Leicester aren't afraid to spend money either, so I doubt it would be a 'derisory' offer.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2020 at 11:36, seanthecanary said:

I honestly can't recall what Klose and Hanley's injury record were like before they came here.  Looking at Hanley's appearances at Blackburn though, he played 190 league games over 5 seasons after becoming first choice, so that's an average of 38 games a year which doesn't indicate he is any more injury prone than average.  Not sure if he just fell out of favour at Newcastle or was injured though.

Hanley was not good enough for Newcastle. 

Leicester would be good for Jamal. Brendan Rodgers is a good coach, especially with younger players imo.

Don't like us selling our better players even if the transfer fee is good.

Lewis wasn't at his best this past season, his previous attacking aspect from the Champs seemed quite removed, and whereas before he'd often look to attack and find a forwards ball, he now runs 30 yards and then immediately turns back to look for a pass rather than whipping in a cross or playing an incisive ball to the side or forwards, I don't know if it's a sudden lack of confidence or not thinking he can be as attacking in the PL (Aarons proved otherwise) but Byram looked just a comfortable there (and better defensively) despite him primarily being a right back, so if an offer of 20 mil or so is made, I think he's the most suitable of our younger players to part with, especially with McCallum in the wings, potentially Byram also to cover and there's even the forgotten Heise to consider.

If we got the season before's Lewis back however, that would change my mind somewhat...

I don't see Lewis replacing Chilwell. Leicester are an ambitious club, challenging for Champions League football. They aren't going to replace an England International and Premiership mainstay with someone not entirely convincing at Norwich last season.

34 minutes ago, hertfordyellow said:

I don't see Lewis replacing Chilwell. Leicester are an ambitious club, challenging for Champions League football. They aren't going to replace an England International and Premiership mainstay with someone not entirely convincing at Norwich last season.

Liverpool, who probably have the best transfer team in the country at the moment, felt Lewis was good enough for their squad. I don't think there is much doubt for many that Lewis is comfortably a Premier League level left back, with plenty of room for growth.

The main reason I can see Leicester not going for Lewis is the fact they have their own promising left back who is 19 and they might not want to put another young left back in his way.

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Liverpool, who probably have the best transfer team in the country at the moment, felt Lewis was good enough for their squad. I don't think there is much doubt for many that Lewis is comfortably a Premier League level left back, with plenty of room for growth.

The main reason I can see Leicester not going for Lewis is the fact they have their own promising left back who is 19 and they might not want to put another young left back in his way.

The only problem there is whether Leicester think their 19 year old is ready to be thrown straight into the PL. If they lose Chilwell I don’t think they won’t look for a replacement and Lewis would be a minor outlay compared to what they’ll be getting in. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The only problem there is whether Leicester think their 19 year old is ready to be thrown straight into the PL. If they lose Chilwell I don’t think they won’t look for a replacement and Lewis would be a minor outlay compared to what they’ll be getting in. 

I never said they wouldn't want a replacement for Chilwell, it might be though that they want an older player to come in who can hit the ground running and then be moved out of the team when their own young prospect is ready, and can help mentor the younger left back while at the club. Rather than bring in someone like Lewis who also isn't the finished product yet, but would block their own young player's path into the team.

A large portion of the Lewis fee is based on his potential over what he currently provides - it is a waste of money if you don't intend to have him around, or replace him with a player only a few years younger a couple of years down the road when Lewis is only starting to deliver his full potential.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I never said they wouldn't want a replacement for Chilwell, it might be though that they want an older player to come in who can hit the ground running and then be moved out of the team when their own young prospect is ready, and can help mentor the younger left back while at the club. Rather than bring in someone like Lewis who also isn't the finished product yet, but would block their own young player's path into the team.

A large portion of the Lewis fee is based on his potential over what he currently provides - it is a waste of money if you don't intend to have him around, or replace him with a player only a few years younger a couple of years down the road when Lewis is only starting to deliver his full potential.

My opening sentence said 'replace'. We are all aware that Liverpool made a bid for Jamal. Not willing to bid above 8 million doesn't sound like they were too interested. Lewis is way behind Chilwell and I wouldn't expect a team that has Champions League ambitions to fill the squad with maybes. They'll want to replace Chilwell with a top performer who can make a difference straight away.

1 hour ago, duke63 said:

Or 'How many tens of millions do you think you are worth, Jamal?'

Or, how did Webber respond to Liverpool's offer (hand reversed though)?