1 hour ago, Yellow and Green said:

Whilst I agree with a lot of what you have said, I do feel for Lewis.

The chance to sign for Liverpool (and work under Klopp) has gone now - with Robertson aged 26 and the Greek signing 24. None of the other 'big' clubs - here or abroad - have been interested in signing him, so he'll probably stay here for a season or two until a lower mid-table PL stump up the cash. Probably not the move he really wants.

Liverpool are annoyingly good in the transfer market to be fair - they haven't been forced into paying above their valuation. They've just gone on to the next target, who was 1.75 million more.

I don't feel bad for him at all. 

If players want to leave on the cheap, they shouldn't sign 4 year deals without release clauses. 

Just now, Tetteys Jig said:

they were obviously not that arsed about Lewis if that's all they are gonna offer

They obviously aren't fussed, they just sensed a decent bit of business as we were relegated and the whole covid situation is ongoing. 

Looks like they were just trying to sign someone they could make some money on. 

1 minute ago, HertsCanary93 said:

I don't feel bad for him at all. 

If players want to leave on the cheap, they shouldn't sign 4 year deals without release clauses. 

I don't think he wanted to leave 'on the cheap', as such. That was Liverpool's approach.

I think he wanted to play for the best club in the world, under the best manager. I feel bad for him in a footballing/career sense.

He probably could've screwed us over by not signing a new contract and leaving on a free, if that's how you think he should've played it?

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Aren’t you a member of this group or is it another one ?

Yes i am a member and for the avoidance of doubt in case you missed it when i posted i joined the day after hoggy started his thread about it to see what the fuss was. You have to be a member to read the posts and i am also a member of Norwich City FC Fan Club and Norwich City Fan Forum.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

You're the member, not me.

Not an avid follower of everything posted on that site believe it or not unlike you who never miss an opportunity to have a pop. I follow events mainly from your posts on here about what is happening.

10 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

I don't think he wanted to leave 'on the cheap', as such. That was Liverpool's approach.

I think he wanted to play for the best club in the world, under the best manager. I feel bad for him in a footballing/career sense.

He probably could've screwed us over by not signing a new contract and leaving on a free, if that's how you think he should've played it?

If he wanted the move he could've put in a transfer request.

14 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Obviously I and the rest of the club/supporters are glad he signed the long contract.

However, he knew when he signed it that it likely meant he would be at the club for at least another 2 years with the exception of a large bid. He made the conscious decision to sign it, and I am glad he did. 

My only point is that I do not feel bad for him that Liverpool submitted a poor offer - one that makes you wonder how much they really wanted him. I'd potentially feel bad if there was a few weeks of negotiations that nearly got there but eventually broke down.

In the end, Liverpool have tried nothing more than a cheeky bid here. <10m for a 22 year old who was in the championship team of the year is not a proper transfer push. 

Edited by HertsCanary93
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

It seems that they haven't really placed much emphasis on the order of their transfer targets. They have probably got five decent left backs - all of similar ability - on their list, which means they can move on to the next target if the selling club is playing hard ball. They didn't seem to fight too hard to get Lewis. 

In respons to your latter point, we wanted to pay 5 million of Dennis Man, yet their owner wanted 15. I wouldn't be surprised if we bought 'Option B' for 6 million to replace Buendia.

Except that as far as we know Lewis was the first one they made an offer for, and he is also home-grown, which the Greek player is not, and that can be a factor for clubs when deciding on targets.

55 minutes ago, Canary73 said:

What also shouldn't be missed alongside the unacceptable offer from Liverpool is the public way in which this has been played out. Their bid fuelled by 'journalists' reporting either through or on behalf of LFC was clearly designed to unsettle Lewis and push to accept the low offer. As the above posts have stated, we now have an unsettled player on our books and LFC walk away from this without any reprimand. It isn't the way that clubs should do business but there appears to be no sanction against this.  

Or maybe we've been able to send out the signal to the world that we won't sell cheap just because we've been relegated. There is absolutely no evidence that Lewis has been unsettled - fact is Liverpool didn't want him badly enough; he might just think he has a point to prove to them.

57 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Really - then how do we keep our squad swollen in size by NINE new signings since January happy AND pay off the COVID debt, all with zero fans coming through the doors for God knows how long? You may admire Webber for 'standing up to those arrogant Scousers' (and in many respects I support that view) but if the same tactic is successfully repeated for the other so called 'Crown Jewels' then come late September some will HAVE to be sold to cover costs. We may yet regret sticking to '£20M or shove it'  position I fear.

We spent virtually nothing last season yet were prepared to pay £15m for the French lad which never came off. In fact Webber has been quite open about the club having money, saying something recently along the lines of not complaining about lack of money if we fail next season. Sure, the wage bill will be higher than we were anticipating but the nine new recruits are the opposite of Naismith etc.

The £12m projected loss from Covid is way below the projected profit we were anticipating from last season. One thing that will probably happen if no youngsters leave is that Farke's "experience" (ie. well paid) won't be turning up. Another six months of empty stadiums and I might get worried, but I honestly think we are well covered at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

We spent virtually nothing last season yet were prepared to pay £15m for the French lad which never came off. In fact Webber has been quite open about the club having money, saying something recently along the lines of not complaining about lack of money if we fail next season. Sure, the wage bill will be higher than we were anticipating but the nine new recruits are the opposite of Naismith etc.

The £12m projected loss from Covid is way below the projected profit we were anticipating from last season. One thing that will probably happen if no youngsters leave is that Farke's "experience" (ie. well paid) won't be turning up. Another six months of empty stadiums and I might get worried, but I honestly think we are well covered at the moment.

Reiterated in the Aarons loan story on the main page "in a healthy financial position this summer and don't need to sell for financial reasons.". Don't panic.

1 hour ago, seanthecanary said:

I said further back in this thread that Liverpool were chancing their arm to try and get him cheaply. We have a price we'll accept and Liverpool weren't even close. They never wanted to negotiate, they wanted to bully us. Fair play to City for not allowing it. 

Yep, pretty much this.  They plainly thought they could get him on the cheap because we would be desperate to sell on being relegated......but because of the way we are being run, that is not going to happen.  He might be a little disappointed, but the fact they wanted him at all is a feather in his cap and will get other clubs thinking more about him. Then again, they might be thinking, if we can get Lewis on the cheap, then it sets a precedence for them to do the same with Cantwell, who they also plainly admire. If they come in for Cantwell now, they know nowv it will not be on the cheap and they will have to come in with a serious offer. 

Big time club playing big time games with clubs they think are easy meat - well thankfully, that is one thing we are not. 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not an avid follower of everything posted on that site believe it or not unlike you who never miss an opportunity to have a pop. I follow events mainly from your posts on here about what is happening.

all I know is those lot made a big deal about their group and how they were the real fans and about 400 of them backed it up with 100 quid. 

Its hilarious but I don't know much more than that. Youre in the group. I'm not.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

all I know is those lot made a big deal about their group and how they were the real fans and about 400 of them backed it up with 100 quid. 

Its hilarious but I don't know much more than that. Youre in the group. I'm not.

The only person i see making a big deal over it and still is happens to be you hoggy. Yes i am in the group and you have had it spelled out the reason why and that banner is old news, in fact your thread was started two weeks after it was first muted but there you are yesterday having yet another pop about it.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

The only person i see making a big deal over it and still is happens to be you hoggy. Yes i am in the group and you have had it spelled out the reason why and that banner is old news, in fact your thread was started two weeks after it was first muted but there you are yesterday having yet another pop about it.

Another pop? I mean its hardly lent itself to being a raging success so what do you expect? Especially when I've been called every name under the sun by the two organisers of the pathetic group of numbskulls. 😅😅

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yep, pretty much this.  They plainly thought they could get him on the cheap because we would be desperate to sell on being relegated......but because of the way we are being run, that is not going to happen.  He might be a little disappointed, but the fact they wanted him at all is a feather in his cap and will get other clubs thinking more about him. Then again, they might be thinking, if we can get Lewis on the cheap, then it sets a precedence for them to do the same with Cantwell, who they also plainly admire. If they come in for Cantwell now, they know nowv it will not be on the cheap and they will have to come in with a serious offer. 

Big time club playing big time games with clubs they think are easy meat - well thankfully, that is one thing we are not. 

If Lewis has anything about him he'll feel put out by the derisory bid Liverpool put in for him, if they think that's all he's worth. I think it was a cheeky bid to get a benchwarmer in and they quickly moved on when they realised real money was at stake.

Unless Robertson gets a massive move to Europe soon, Liverpool is probably the worst possible club for a left back who actually likes playing football to go to.

The state of Liverpool fans.

If this were Barcelona bidding on Sadio Mane, they'd be up in arms if they came in with an offer 50% of their valuation. They'd accuse Barcelona of trying to upset their player and get him on the cheap.

But the shoe on the other foot, it's "look at Norwich getting in the way of poor Jamal's career".

Not one person should feel bad for him. I bet you he pocketed a nice little sign on bonus when he signed that new contract in October 2018. And I bet he earns a heck of a lot more than any of us likely do, even with the relegation reduction. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Really - then how do we keep our squad swollen in size by NINE new signings since January happy AND pay off the COVID debt, all with zero fans coming through the doors for God knows how long? You may admire Webber for 'standing up to those arrogant Scousers' (and in many respects I support that view) but if the same tactic is successfully repeated for the other so called 'Crown Jewels' then come late September some will HAVE to be sold to cover costs. We may yet regret sticking to '£20M or shove it'  position I fear.

I’d put money on the fact that if we’d sold Lewis, you’d be on here complaining that we sold him too cheaply.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Canary73 said:

What also shouldn't be missed alongside the unacceptable offer from Liverpool is the public way in which this has been played out. Their bid fuelled by 'journalists' reporting either through or on behalf of LFC was clearly designed to unsettle Lewis and push to accept the low offer. As the above posts have stated, we now have an unsettled player on our books and LFC walk away from this without any reprimand. It isn't the way that clubs should do business but there appears to be no sanction against this.  

And we all know how much Webber hates that 🤣

46 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

If Lewis has anything about him he'll feel put out by the derisory bid Liverpool put in for him, if they think that's all he's worth. I think it was a cheeky bid to get a benchwarmer in and they quickly moved on when they realised real money was at stake.

Unless Robertson gets a massive move to Europe soon, Liverpool is probably the worst possible club for a left back who actually likes playing football to go to.

I'm reading some stuff that suggests that they only bid for Lewis to get to the Greek lad, they've been after him for a while.

If that's true and they've used him then thags shocking and no wonder they came in so low.

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

Another pop? I mean its hardly lent itself to being a raging success so what do you expect? Especially when I've been called every name under the sun by the two organisers of the pathetic group of numbskulls. 😅😅

I cannot find anything about you being called any names on that site and as i am a member and you are not i find that somewhat strange. Maybe if you can give a flavour of what is or has been said it might help me understand your position ?

8 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I cannot find anything about you being called any names on that site and as i am a member and you are not i find that somewhat strange. Maybe if you can give a flavour of what is or has been said it might help me understand your position ?

I had screenshotted and posted one example before. I dont need you to understand my position. Youre not that important to me Til 😅

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I’d put money on the fact that if we’d sold Lewis, you’d be on here complaining that we sold him too cheaply.

That's not what I'm saying is it though? Truth is that NONE of us know what the actual figures were that were discussed between the clubs. Report today says '£10M + 50% of any future transfer profit', other reports say '£8M + £2M in add on's'. The point is that now we have set out our stall in rejecting offers unless they hit our valuation then don't be surprised if suitors for the other 'Crown Jewels' decide to look elsewhere. Like it or not we are facing (as all clubs are) in all probability many, many months and possibly the entire season with no 26,000 crowds at THP. The financial shortfall + the £12M 'loss' from season just gone has to be covered and releasing the deadwood (Leitner, Trybull, Drmic etc.) will barely make a dent into that amount. I would  love to keep the so called 'star' players but they were part of a terrible team that completely collapsed since restart. I struggle to see how we can turn round and say that FIVE of the squad are worth AT LEAST £20m EACH which most on here are presuming (in fact many are putting higher valuations on Godfrey (in particular) and Buendia). Reports of a 'loan' deal for Aarons only seem to confirm that suitors are refusing to stump up these sums. I think at least three of these players (and maybe all of them) will be sold as the cooler realities of the new season hit in mid September particularly if this much hyped up 'second wave' builds up on the horizon. Then you may see fees received being a lot less than the much vaunted..............'this is what it will cost you mate' signs.         

34 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I had screenshotted and posted one example before. I dont need you to understand my position. Youre not that important to me Til 😅

But of course you felt the need to bang on about being a victim of name calling everything under the sun i believe you said. Get over yourself for goodness sake but you don't lend yourself to having that in your make up now do you ?

Edited by TIL 1010

7 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

But of course you felt the need to bang on about being a victim of name calling everything under the sun i believe you said. Get over yourself for goodness sake but you don't lend yourself to having that in your make up now do you ?

Oh dear fella. Don't think online discussion is for you 😅😅😅

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Oh dear fella. Don't think online discussion is for you 😅😅😅

Probably not with you as i can see right through your self righteous persona fella.

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Probably not with you as i can see right through your self righteous persona fella.

You couldn't see through a window. You'd probably be looking in the other direction.