Getting back to the main point of the thread, i feel we need to be careful not to play hardball too much regarding Lewis. Obviously we are not a charity and a reported bid of £10m was  a significant undervaluation of the player, £15m in a more depressed COVID market seems to represent pretty decent business to me. IMO of all our youngsters that have broken through in the last 2 seasons and i include Buendia in that  Lewis is the least important to us. His effectiveness has been mixed last season and he has as much chance of having peaked in the championship now as being able to improve.  What would we get for the "twins " now for example. A sell on clause would  be prudent. I feel we could replace him at championship level and that is where we are for a fraction of £15m. One of the main strategies of the club is to buy young, develop and sell on. We are a very attractive club in the eyes of players agents and parents to do that. It would not look quite so good if we were seen to block  fantastic opportunities for players when they came along and a move to Liverpool must be an absolute dream, and a very good advert to our club. Keep him and he will be discontented, the transfer moment for club and player could be  we could  be gone, we could have a mid table finish he could get injured or have a poor season, there are so many variables in the game. Yes we need a sensible bottom line but if we can shake hands at £15m or  near to then that looks a good deal. If feel Godfrey and aarons are worth more and Godfrey a lot more, so too Cantwell. Buendia after a poorish season probably would be in the £15m park as well but he makes us tick at championship level and i feel is best days are yet to come and we need to do our level best to keep him for at least another season. We do not really need to sell anyone for financial reasons to be honest but to strengthen the squad in other areas we probably do and indeed have already spent money, the Lewis money would allow us to do that. I am very optimistic that there are several youngsters that can and will break through into our first team this coming season, anyway time will tell

Edited by Yorkshire Canary
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Getting back to the main point of the thread, i feel we need to be careful not to play hardball too much regarding Lewis. Obviously we are not a charity and a reported bid of £10m was  a significant undervaluation of the player, £15m in a more depressed COVID market seems to represent pretty decent business to me. IMO of all our youngsters that have broken through in the last 2 seasons and i include Buendia in that  Lewis is the least important to us. His effectiveness has been mixed last season and he has as much chance of having peaked in the championship now as being able to improve.  What would we get for the "twins " now for example. A sell on clause would  be prudent. I feel we could replace him at championship level and that is where we are for a fraction of £15m. One of the main strategies of the club is to buy young, develop and sell on. We are a very attractive club in the eyes of players agents and parents to do that. It would not look quite so good if we were seen to block  fantastic opportunities for players when they came along and a move to Liverpool must be an absolute dream, and a very good advert to our club. Keep him and he will be discontented, the transfer moment for club and player could be  we could  be gone, we could have a mid table finish he could get injured or have a poor season, there are so many variables in the game. Yes we need a sensible bottom line but if we can shake hands at £15m or  near to then that looks a good deal. If feel Godfrey and aarons are worth more and Godfrey a lot more, so too Cantwell. Buendia after a poorish season probably would be in the £15m park as well but he makes us tick at championship level and i feel is best days are yet to come and we need to do our level best to keep him for at least another season. We do not really need to sell anyone for financial reasons to be honest but to strengthen the squad in other areas we probably do and indeed have already spent money, the Lewis money would allow us to do that. I am very optimistic that there are several youngsters that can and will break through into our first team this coming season, anyway time will tell

I think you are right.  There needs to be a happy medium struck of not standing in a players way of a dream move while attaining maximum value from sales.  The offer was not £10 million for Lewis, it was £8 with add ons that may well be appearance related.  Those could in all reality may never be triggered with Robertson being one of the world's best left backs.  That's just as you say, an undervaluation.  I wouldn't want to see the club stand in Lewis' way but take that Liverpool bid and you are opening up the door to silly offers for our other prized assets.  Like you said though, play hardball too much much and Liverpool will walk away leaving us with a disappointed Lewis. I'm sure Liverpool will happily walk away if negotiations don't go well. They have a world class left back already who is still fairly young. They are looking for a backup/rotation option and are not going to break the bank for that. It would be different if they were desperate and Lewis was a huge priority but he's not. 

Edited by seanthecanary

There are other clubs that want Lewis. This is early days in this transfer periode. There Will come a new one in january. 12 is what we need now . And 5 if Liverpool wins CL and PL in the next 4 years

26 minutes ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Buendia had a fairly good season regarding chance creation, I think he's nearer £25-30million than £15million to be honest. Pretty much agree with the rest. I do think people are underestimating the cachet of the European champions buying one of your players who came through the youth team ranks - along with the recent investment in The Nest and general commitment to giving youth their start.

Looks like Adshead and Soto are aimed at being put out on loan in the Netherlands. I was wondering if Adshead was going to get a chance here, after all we did pick him up from Rochdale. Thought we might have done a Godfrey with him and put him in League One for seasoning.

Edited by TheGunnShow

8 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

I think you are right.  There needs to be a happy medium struck of not standing in a players way of a dream move while attaining maximum value from sales.  The offer was not £10 million for Lewis, it was £8 with add ons that may well be appearance related.  Those could in all reality may never be triggered with Robertson being one of the world's best left backs.  That's just as you say, an undervaluation.  I wouldn't want to see the club stand in Lewis' way but take that Liverpool bid and you are opening up the door to silly offers for our other prized assets.  Like you said though, play hardball too much much and Liverpool will walk away leaving us with a disappointed Lewis. I'm sure Liverpool will happily walk away if negotiations don't go well. They have a world class left back already who is still fairly young. They are looking for a backup/rotation option and are not going to break the bank for that. It would be different if they were desperate and Lewis was a huge priority but he's not. 

From all I have read the position of back-up/rotation left-back is a priority for Liverpool. Lewis may not be the only answer but the position very much needs to be filled.

Can’t see anybody paying over 15 million for lewis to be honest. Aarons about 22 million. Cantwell and Buendia about 25 million and Godfrey 28 million. 

22 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

From all I have read the position of back-up/rotation left-back is a priority for Liverpool. Lewis may not be the only answer but the position very much needs to be filled.

It does need to be filled but it's not like the keeper or centre back situation they were in where they had to pay top dollar. Those were essential, this is important but they won't break the bank for Lewis is all I meant. 

12 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Bully. The guy asked a perfectly relevant question.

Every time the establishment is questioned the establishment on here troll out a bully to try and know you back down. Pathetic 

As if youre going to start throwing bully lines out when you posted the reply you did the other day calling someone a c*nt and god knows what else 😅

What a place this is at the moment.

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

What a place this is .

Fixed it for you Hoggo. Its no different now to before covid, relegation and the probability of us selling a couple/ few of our better( at present) players. Buttons get pressed, people react. Nothing more than a reflection of real life .....its easy to tell who is internally content and who isn't. Their posts say it all.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

But... He literally asked a legit question that offended nobody...

That's all. Straight, simple and to the point.

Play the post. Not the poster.

--------

I've been thinking for a while I might be done here. It just isn't a pleasant place to be anymore. Even many of the posters who generally post interesting/thought out stuff are becoming dragged in and really bitter. 

Always get an element of it  but it seems it's all the fofum has become now.

I'm hoping the start of a new season will change that maybe, but it isn't looking great.

I hope you're not "done here" as you make some very good contributions. Only a few people are habitually sour or perhaps caustic is a better term. And you do have to be around quite a bit (I've found only in lockdown as I've been more present than the previous 15 years!) to get to know how people think, their humour (some posters are VERY dry). It's the understated humour that makes me smile.

Over the years you just know how certain posters think. Some are for the club no matter what. Others want big change. C'est la vie. Will always be the case.

I agree (for the main part) that you should play the post not the poster. It serves best when you know they are likely to be antagonistic to you (learnt from experience). I've grown a harder skin in the last few months (not something I've especially wanted either).

I don't think it's an unpleasant place for 99% of the time. Only a few posters call others  c**** (look at other forums for comparison) and the occasional spat is usually worked through in time. No different to everyday life.

Anyway, I'm not here to hector but my take is to tune out anything you think is stupid but keep posting the good stuff anyway ... because lots of others will probably remember or certainly react well to those ...certainly more than the posts containing asides between posters.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Do you read his absolutely  doom laden   posts ? Never ever got anything positive to say about the club, not sure whether  he's a troll or just a Sadsack.  Dont care  either way.

PS  I think he is Naismith.

Exactly. What all the “everyone is entitled to their opinion” flag wavers fail to notice is that Highland Canary is a massive troll, who only appears when there’s something he can use to criticise the club about and seems to think this long-running fire sale theme is in some way big or clever. 

As Voltaire apparently never said “I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it” (although if you check authorship of quotes on the Internet I suspect no-one ever said anything) is fine as a concept, I support the idea. But to participate in free speech there are some preconditions if you expect respect from those you debate with. Highland Canary rarely if ever enters debate, he just drops his unfunny pronouncements of doom like some apocalyptic preacher and then disappears until the next opportunity to mention a fire sale again.

Either join the community properly or p*ss off, frankly.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Olano said:

There are other clubs that want Lewis. This is early days in this transfer periode. There Will come a new one in january. 12 is what we need now . And 5 if Liverpool wins CL and PL in the next 4 years

This. What we need is a bidding war. I guess other clubs think Liverpool may be irresistible to Jamal, so we need at least a £15 million bid from someone else. 

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Exactly. What all the “everyone is entitled to their opinion” flag wavers fail to notice is that Highland Canary is a massive troll, who only appears when there’s something he can use to criticise the club about and seems to think this long-running fire sale theme is in some way big or clever. 

As Voltaire apparently never said “I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it” (although if you check authorship of quotes on the Internet I suspect no-one ever said anything) is fine as a concept, I support the idea. But to participate in free speech there are some preconditions if you expect respect from those you debate with. Highland Canary rarely if ever enters debate, he just drops his unfunny pronouncements of doom like some apocalyptic preacher and then disappears until the next opportunity to mention a fire sale again.

Either join the community properly or p*ss off, frankly.

Keith is another one of course. Only ever posts negative stuff and when we are experiencing problems. 

Yet, it's all part of life's rich etc etc isn't it! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

This. What we need is a bidding war. I guess other clubs think Liverpool may be irresistible to Jamal, so we need at least a £15 million bid from someone else. 

Good point ....& I wonder whether this is our tactic? If we were to get say a £17m or £18m starting bid for say Max. It would begin to create a bit of perspective.

It will be fascinating to watch (in some respects and notwithstanding I don't want any of the younger stars to leave but I've had to accept they will).

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Yep, we can wait a bit, if Liverpool really want him , theyll want him asap, to get him into the Clubs own way of doing things before the new season starts. A week or two reflection may well up the bid a bit. My prediction( ffs dont put money on it) is between 13  and 18 million plus add ons that are success based. Liverpool wont want to be seen to pay our 'stated 20mill' price tag. ...for all the obvious reasons.

Have palace signed another left back?

If the reports are true and they were interested in January, so there may be interested parties. But I still think lewis and his team will be working on the liverpool deal and I think it is an incredible move.

A Norwich player moving to the champions is great for our system.

Hopefully a deal can be struck

13 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Yep, we can wait a bit, if Liverpool really want him , theyll want him asap, to get him into the Clubs own way of doing things before the new season starts. A week or two reflection may well up the bid a bit. My prediction( ffs dont put money on it) is between 13  and 18 million plus add ons that are success based. Liverpool wont want to be seen to pay our 'stated 20mill' price tag. ...for all the obvious reasons.

Lewis would be back up for Liverpool. I feel they will be happy to wait right until the end of the window to get him in - feel this one could rumble on for a while yet. 

I don’t expect Liverpool to rush in with another bid - or if they do for it to be only a marginal increase on the one they’ve already made. 

1 minute ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Lewis would be back up for Liverpool. I feel they will be happy to wait right until the end of the window to get him in - feel this one could rumble on for a while yet. 

I don’t expect Liverpool to rush in with another bid - or if they do for it to be only a marginal increase on the one they’ve already made. 

No worries,  you feel that, I dont disagree, not being an expert I dont know who their back up to  Robinson is currently, surely not still mr versatile j Milner.  Its a game, this transfer dealing business with so many unknown factors. Like I said though , I reckon itll end up between 13 and 18 ,  with less add ons if the initial price is at the higher end. If in the meantime Godfrey ( or an other)goes for serious money , we may decide to accept the lower end with bigger add ons. Surely its not so much about the players 'value' as it is about raisng the dosh we need to carry on the rebuild..... the permutations of this particular window are manifold I reckon.

If only 3 of 'the 5' go, I can see the other 2 being a bit fed up seeing their former teammates get big money moves.  It wouldn't surprise me if the other 2 followed in January.

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

As if youre going to start throwing bully lines out when you posted the reply you did the other day calling someone a c*nt and god knows what else 😅

What a place this is at the moment.

Firstly I didn’t use the word c*nt and secondly I was making a point with respect to being told I wouldn’t be able to make an articulate reply. I gave that person what he expected and what he felt he had the right to insist I would because he disagrees with my views. 

It highlights exactly what happens when the pro hierarchy/project believers are unhappy with anybody else raising their heads above the parapet.

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Firstly I didn’t use the word c*nt and secondly I was making a point with respect to being told I wouldn’t be able to make an articulate reply. I gave that person what he expected and what he felt he had the right to insist I would because he disagrees with my views. 

It highlights exactly what happens when the pro hierarchy/project believers are unhappy with anybody else raising their heads above the parapet.

I'm hearing more and more that anyone who isn't a "happy clapper" can't post their opinion on this board.

If that's the case, why bother? Why not create a group of "NCFC fans who detest everything NCFC" and you can all happily go about your ways?

For what it's worth I think you should definitely post your opinions on here. Generally speaking I disagree with every one of them. Some of them I think are incredibly stupid, but I'd always defend your right to say them. 

But if you're not happy with that situation there's a fantastic Facebook Group I can link you to? They're producing a Delia Out banner did you know? Well, they would have been if any of them would put their money where their mouth is.

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm hearing more and more that anyone who isn't a "happy clapper" can't post their opinion on this board.

See also:

- White men are the most discriminated against group in society

- The EU tells us what to do 

- You can’t even tell a woman she looks attractive any more

- Making me wear a mask is infringing my human rights

I could go on...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That would surprise me, BYG. That potentially would be halfway through October.

Can't believe Stoke are after him too - surely that is a downwards move for Jamal - although some cash and Joe allen?? 🙂

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

If that's the case, why bother? Why not create a group of "NCFC fans who detest everything NCFC" and you can all happily go about your ways?

For what it's worth I think you should definitely post your opinions on here. Generally speaking I disagree with every one of them. Some of them I think are incredibly stupid, but I'd always defend your right to say them. 

But if you're not happy with that situation there's a fantastic Facebook Group I can link you to? They're producing a Delia Out banner did you know? Well, they would have been if any of them would put their money where their mouth is.

Wolfo has raised far far more on his own, jumping on a bike for christs sake . If there was a whip round to fly a plane on Delia's Birthday  over Carrow rd wishing her a happy one it'd  raise more money in less time than the Delia out version.😄😄😄😃

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Wolfo has raised far far more on his own, jumping on a bike for christs sake . If there was a whip round to fly a plane on Delia's Birthday  over Carrow rd wishing her a happy one it'd  raise more money in less time than the Delia out version.😄😄😄😃

🙃👍🙃👍

She's 80 next year🎂✈️

28 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

🙃👍🙃👍

She's 80 next year🎂✈️

Now there's a thing. What are the chances of a home game...or even an away game on june 18 next year, depends on this covid shoite I suppose.  Late play off final  at Wembley  anybody? 🎂✈✈🎂😉

Fekkit , any big event would do Wimbledon etc, it'd  make the National news I reckon.They couldn't resist showing it .

Many thanks to the 'Delia out' brigade for costings,  research etc.  It was  900 quid needed wasn't it?. 🤣😇😂🤩😜🤑🤗

Edited by wcorkcanary

We all need to chill out a bit, I think. As ever, there's a ton of good debate, and a shovelful of shíte... if you're contributing to more shíte than debate, maybe spend a bit less time on here and more time doing something constructive and positive with your time?

Honestly, nobody will ever win the 'happy clappers vs. nappy crappers' debate. Put your points across, play nicely, and be grateful that you have such an overriding passion for the club. It's ours, whatever we think of it, and we're all a tribe.

If anyone fancies a bike ride in the next couple of weeks, drop me a message. I'll ride with any NCFC fan, even Waveney! 😉