9 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

Young English full back with 10 years ahead of him and all the right attritubutes... And you think 10 million is fair. 

Wow. 

He's British. Plays for N. Ireland.

I'm assuming you meant he qualified as 'home grown' which would increase his transfer fee.

11 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

You can’t see Cantwell or Godfrey putting in a request? Maybe you will be proved correct but we will see. 

I don’t think they’ll have to as there will be bids for them before it gets to that stage

Edited by FenwayFrank

8 hours ago, Mullet said:

Ive just checked what other championship players are valued at and it appears most decent players receiving interest from premier league clubs are being valued at 20-25 million and the buying club values them at around 15 million therefore 10 million does seem low. Jamal's only going to warm the bench though and he wants to go which Liverpool are probably weighing up. Will be interesting to see how it ends i'm guessing 15 million

Lewis won’t go for £15m mate - Webber stated before the season had even ended that none of our talent would go for anything less than £20m as despite relegation we have no need to sell and so want to keep all our talent for next season

I think what I’m seeing is a project planned by the club to try and make us a strong and financially healthy team

Edited by HazzaJet
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

He's British. Plays for N. Ireland.

I'm assuming you meant he qualified as 'home grown' which would increase his transfer fee.

N Ireland isn't in Britain. It's in the United Kingdom. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, non-scoring strikers said:

Pete, can you move this to the Geography Pedants section of the forum?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

In which case the squad never continues to improve unless you’re guaranteed to find a Buendia or an Aarons every year. My fear is that level of luck or whatever we should call it will runs out. Not everyone we have signed has be a success and not every youngster who comes through becomes a Aarons. What if no one we sign at our low expenditure level this year is the real deal or none of the youngsters make the grade this time?

That's always been the risk for as long as I can remember.  For every Steve Bruce you could unearth, there is always a Dean Coney lurking lol

21 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Lewis won’t go for £15m mate - Webber stated before the season had even ended that none of our talent would go for anything less than £20m as despite relegation we have no need to sell and so want to keep all our talent for next season

I think what I’m seeing is a project planned by the club to try and make us a strong and financially healthy team

I can see him going for £15m + significant add ons.  It would be interesting to know whether it's Liverpool or Lewis' agent who is making all the noise in the press.  If it's Liverpool then I think they've underestimated our financial position currently, £8m + add ons is farcical really.

Thinking about it, is a sell-on clause worth much in this case? If Jamal is a success at Liverpool, he's not likely to go anywhere, if not, he'll probably see out his contract in the reserves and be moved on for a much smaller fee at its end.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

I can see him going for £15m + significant add ons.  It would be interesting to know whether it's Liverpool or Lewis' agent who is making all the noise in the press.  If it's Liverpool then I think they've underestimated our financial position currently, £8m + add ons is farcical really.

I think part of it is that they are having a punt.  We keep being told that Covid will effect the transfer market and prices especially.  Liverpool are just chancing their arm.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Thinking about it, is a sell-on clause worth much in this case? If Jamal is a success at Liverpool, he's not likely to go anywhere, if not, he'll probably see out his contract in the reserves and be moved on for a much smaller fee at its end.

No can't see a sell on clause being included, but definitely clauses for appearances, international appearances etc etc.

Am I the only one that finds Lewis to Liverpool a little surprising?

if I’m being honest I really don’t think he particularly excelled last season and would even go so far as to say he just looked like a fairly average left back to me. I know there is the thing about if you move to a club like Liverpool and get surrounded by better coaches and players you’ll become a better player but even so. Surely that line of thinking is relevant to any player.

in Jamal Lewis, I saw a defender that is fairly weak in the air and doesn’t take his man on, preferring almost always to turn back on himself. 

I’m not saying he’s a poor player. Far from it, but Liverpool good? I just don’t see it. I hope for his sake he proves people like me wrong.

I genuinely believe if we can get close to £15, we will have seriously lifted Liverpool’s leg and the 2-3 players that may find for us would represent excellent business. 

Plus we didn’t spend £3.5m (we never do that these days) On Sam McCallum for no reason. From what I’ve read about him, he could well prove to be better than Lewis after a run of a handful of games.

But what do I know, I’m sure Klopp is far more qualified than I to make a proper assessment of Jamal Lewis. 

Whichever way this pans out I wish him all the best of course.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

if I’m being honest I really don’t think he particularly excelled last season and would even go so far as to say he just looked like a fairly average left back to me. I know there is the thing about if you move to a club like Liverpool and get surrounded by better coaches and players you’ll become a better player but even so. Surely that line of thinking is relevant to any player.

in Jamal Lewis, I saw a defender that is fairly weak in the air and doesn’t take his man on, preferring almost always to turn back on himself. 

I’m not saying he’s a poor player. Far from it, but Liverpool good? I just don’t see it. I hope for his sake he proves people like me wrong.

I genuinely believe if we can get close to £15, we will have seriously lifted Liverpool’s leg and the 2-3 players that may find for us would represent excellent business. 

Plus we didn’t spend £3.5m (we never do that these days) On Sam McCallum for no reason. From what I’ve read about him, he could well prove to be better than Lewis after a run of a handful of games.

But what do I know, I’m sure Klopp is far more qualified than I to make a proper assessment of Jamal Lewis. 

I don't think we saw the best of Lewis last season because we were so weak overall defensively he ended up afraid to go forwards. It's a totally different kettle of fish at Liverpool, you have VVD and Gomez etc backing him up, defensive midfielders like Henderson and Gigi (can't spell his surname) screening and as cover so he can bomb forwards with a lot more confidence that if possession does get turned over it isn't going to end in disaster, think Lewis from our Champs-winning season. That's what Klopp sees in him. Add in the facts that he's only 22, already a full international and counts as homegrown, and it's easy to see why he's attracted the attention of a big club with attacking impetus. Which makes their lowball offer even more derisory IMHO. It doesn't matter that he's weak in the air, they have enough height elsewhere on the pitch to counter that, and he's not likely to be marking the opposition centre-forwards, he'll be on the edge of the box waiting to collect the 2nd ball and charge towards the opponent's goal on the counter attack, which we know he can do.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

Klopp sees something 

is it Robertson under study ? 

is it Move Robertson forward in some Games ? 

i am sure lewis will be be a far better player after Training and playing there Like Robertson has become 

How much is Robertson worth Now 40/50 million ?

Lewis is natural left footed with pace full of potential not many players homegrown like that 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I think it could be- if he is a bit part player he can still be sold for a good fee, especially if the inflation in transfer fees continues.

Liverpool managed to get £20m for Dominik Solanke who basically did nothing in his time at the club.

1 hour ago, non-scoring strikers said:

You are correct but I said he was 'British'.

British people live in the UK. They are people who live in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland. British people can also either be English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish (from Northern Ireland only). The British are said to be reserved in manners, dress and speech.

It’s difficult to question Klopp’s judgement given his record, but it is surprising they are as interested as they appear to be.  He hasn’t ever struck me as being ‘that’ good that he’d be playing in the latter stages of the Champions League. 

The thing is that It’s clear he’d be an understudy there, so perhaps that is part of their thinking in terms of ££ outlay - but whether he’d be a first teamer or a reserve is not our problem.  If you want a player you pay what they are worth, which should  be what we’re willing to sell for.

1 minute ago, Fuzzar said:

Klopp also signed Karius, so no-one's perfect.

Very True he will blame the DOF for that one !

Klopp does pretty much nothing with transfers at Liverpool (he doesn’t really enjoy that side of things and also had very little to do with it at Dortmund). It is all done by Michael Edwards and the recruitment team. 

Michael Bailey did a story with Lewis’ stats and from that you can see why Liverpool see him as a good back up. Defensively solid and able to carry the ball forward well - improve his crossing and he’ll be a fantastic all round full back. Even without improved attacking output he’s still a very good back up option, especially as he’s ‘homegrown’ and young. He has all the raw materials and with Klopp as a coach he’s pretty much guaranteed to improve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, non-scoring strikers said:

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Pete, can you move this to the Geography Pedants section of the forum?

.......and while you’re at it Pete please have a word with all these b* oody internet companies who when you fill in your address seem to think the UK is a country. 🤬😉

• Haha 2

It is always interesting seeing/hearing different peoples opinions on the same players we all watch week-in/week-out.

I personally thought Lewis looked slightly more cut out to be a Premier League fullback than Aarons who was nominated for the Golden Boy award.

Different players in different positions. It also obviously helps that Lewis has a few years experience on Aarons, and I am still of the opinion that Aarons will likely end up playing at the higher level of the two in the future.

However, if one of the two were to slot in as a starter/reliable back-up for a top side next season, I think Lewis is the more likely to do an immediate job.

• Like 1

For the first time in many years as a relegated club we are in the nice position of not having to snap at any offer a bigger club deems that they wish to make. As for Lewis, it is probably a sign of how inflated prices have become in the PL that he is valued in the region of £20m. That said he is valued at that and we have other players valued around that mark or higher. IMO  Lewis had a very good season in the championship but was a mixed bag last season having some very good performances mixed in with some ordinary ones. Liverpool have the money, Lewis is young and can improve, he can also go backwards so for both parties it is a bit of a gamble. Any improved bid on or around to £20M mark and i would let him go, i think we could replace him at championship level with a lot of change left to reinvest in the squad

It’s looking like a 15 million with add ons towards 20 million will no doubt be the outcome.

Not sure but Robertson cost around 14 million from Hull a few seasons ago, so around the mark will be the settled price no doubt.

19 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

I think that's a little to optimistic, I suspect it will end up around £15m cash plus sell on of profit (not 50%) and I would hope that we'd get a player also, ideally to sign or a loan.

They have some young talent there that we could cherry pick from.

I know zilch about him and whether he would be available to buy or loan, but they do have one big young central defender, Nat Phillips.

6 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

It's part of the British  isles  though, but occupied territory. The UK is not a geographical entity, its political.  The British isles are a geographical  entity.

Edited by wcorkcanary

18 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I thought Robinson was £8m.

Was he that cheap, good buy at that price. 👍

5 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

Its a fair question. But any buying club must see something in a player that might not always be obvious.

On 05/08/2020 at 09:18, canarydan23 said:

Not that much.

Really. Didnt take webber long to change his mind by 5 million £!!