2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yep agree with this. What happens we sell Lewis for £8m?  Spurs offer £10m for Aarons, Man Utd £15m for Godfrey? We might not have to sell any of them, but once one leaves the others will have their heads turned pretty quickly.

If it's cash plus player then it needs to be a position we need cover for such as centre half, striker, or defensive midfielder.

£10m + Van Dijk 

• Haha 3

So they offered £8 million plus £2 million in add ons it seems. No wonder the club are reported to be unhappy with Liverpool unsettling the player with a quote the club “derisory” offer. Pay the going rate or jog on 

9 minutes ago, JF said:

So they offered £8 million plus £2 million in add ons it seems. No wonder the club are reported to be unhappy with Liverpool unsettling the player with a quote the club “derisory” offer. Pay the going rate or jog on 

I might agree its too little but nevertheless we as supporters do tend to overrate some of our players ... many of which were found out last season.

7 minutes ago, glory.win or die. said:

£10m + Van Dijk 

Put me into tears of laughter mate. Unfortunately I don’t think we’d accept that either - wouldn’t be able to afford his wages 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I might agree its too little but nevertheless we as supporters do tend to overrate some of our players ... many of which were found out last season.

Undoubtedly supporters bump value. But he’s a home grown player that has international and now PL experience. 22 years old and the current PL and European champions deem him to have enough quality to add to their squad. I’d be disappointed to receive anything less than £17 million with add ons. That is the minimum going rate I would say 

Edited by JF

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

What part of what I said is incorrect then?

Pretty much everything. Your claim is based on a patent falsity, that there would be less interest in Lewis than any of the others. The reality is Liverpool want him as a back up to Robertson and possibly a future starter. Home qualified, Premier League experience and capable with good coaching of improving. So as things stand there is more tangible interest in Lewis than the rest.That you might have thought Lewis would be the least regarded has run into the reality that Klopp has a different view of him as a player.

Secondly, the 'logic' that if we drive a hard bargain with Liverpool and push the price up to what we want then that will mean others are more likely to leave escapes me. There is a limit to how much cash we need from sales to balance the books, so if we get top dollar for Lewis and, say, Godfrey, then that could easily mean we don't need to sell a third player, as we might if we had been getting lower prices.

And if we drive a hard bargain with Liverpool and do so with other clubs, some of them will probably drop out of the running. It seems clear Liverpool want Lewis because he perfectly fits their plans and they appear not to have an alternative. But if, for example, we demand a price for Buendia that Leeds don't want to pay, and they can find someone similar who is cheaper, they will switch targets.

We may well sell at least three payers this summer, but the number won't be increased by the club having forced Liverpool to pay the asking price. That is a barmpot notion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Pretty much everything. Your claim is based on a patent falsity, that there would be less interest in Lewis than any of the others. The reality is Liverpool want him as a back up to Robertson and possibly a future starter. Home qualified, Premier League experience and capable with good coaching of improving. So as things stand there is more tangible interest in Lewis than the rest.That you might have thought Lewis would be the least regarded has run into the reality that Klopp has a different view of him as a player.

Secondly, the 'logic' that if we drive a hard bargain with Liverpool and push the price up to what we want then that will mean others are more likely to leave escapes me. There is a limit to how much cash we need from sales to balance the books, so if we get top dollar for Lewis and, say, Godfrey, then that could easily mean we don't need to sell a third player, as we might if we had been getting lower prices.

And if we drive a hard bargain with Liverpool and do so with other clubs, some of them will probably drop out of the running. It seems clear Liverpool want Lewis because he perfectly fits their plans and they appear not to have an alternative. But if, for example, we demand a price for Buendia that Leeds don't want to pay, and they can find someone similar who is cheaper, they will switch targets.

We may well sell at least three payers this summer, but the number won't be increased by the club having forced Liverpool to pay the asking price. That is a barmpot notion.

All about opinions and many thanks for the essay. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but let’s see who’s called it correctly in the coming weeks. 

4 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Its easy to say no to Liverpool - it is not so easy to tell a player that they are stopping him from making a potentially once in a life time move and the player to not kick off about it. 

How Lewis (and his representatives) react will be the real news to Liverpool’s bid. 

I would think we will be telling Lewis that yes you can go to Liverpool but not for £10m. You'd also think his agent knows Lewis's worth and hopefully react accordingly

They have gone in low because they know we want to appear to play hardball. 

he will be sold, I predict, for 12ish plus a few add ons. Without anyone else competing for his signature it won’t go above £15m 

12 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I would think we will be telling Lewis that yes you can go to Liverpool but not for £10m. You'd also think his agent knows Lewis's worth and hopefully react accordingly

i think what we all know at the moment Lewis  is a 15/20 million player bags of potential 

We also know Liverpool are champions so if they want him Klopp sees him as a Very Good Player 

We have seen Maddison leave for around 20 million turned into a 60/70 million plus player within 2 years 

i think that is the thing that disappoints me and that is why when we go up you have to stay there 

EPL players are worth more than Championship players  

When we were promoted, I would put money on a conversation between Webber and each player where they were told we were happy to give them more money and a long contract, but the flip side was that we would have leverage if another team bid for them. Unless a player is dense, they will have understood the implications, so Jamal and his agent, who will also have benefited, should be under no illusions about the club being forced to accept a low bid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

All about opinions and many thanks for the essay. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but let’s see who’s called it correctly in the coming weeks. 

I have no idea what that reply means, I haven’t relied on hindsight at all. And quite how you will ‘prove’ to have been right escapes me, gIven that we both expect more than one player to be sold this summer and it will be impossible to demonstrate that the number ended up being greater than it otherwise would have been because we forced Liverpool to pay twenty million instead of ten million.

1 hour ago, JF said:

Undoubtedly supporters bump value. But he’s a home grown player that has international and now PL experience. 22 years old and the current PL and European champions deem him to have enough quality to add to their squad. I’d be disappointed to receive anything less than £17 million with add ons. That is the minimum going rate I would say 

I think the reason why we overrate players is because no football fan likes to see any of their best players go. However I think we all have one desire for next season: to bounce straight back up, and I’m convinced that will be the club’s objective

2 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Yet several articles have emerged today saying £20m is our asking price of Emi. I would rate him well above Lewis. The articles may be utter tosh or we will eventually take a lot less than many are expecting to get for our saleable assets!

Rating Emi above Lewis makes little sense.

Fast, agile, young, home-grown full backs with potential and years of training ahead of them are hard to come by, therefore in demand - and many of the bigger teams will pay through the nose for them. How different is the situation to the insane fee Wan-Bissaka fetched in the end?

Whereas, though I rate Emi highly, many of these clubs already have very skillful wingers with widely varied positive attributes.

Its not about how a right winger is rated higher than a left back, a mad comparison to make.

It's about the value they place on having a position they want filled.

However, this is more about what he's worth to NORWICH. The buying club's 'valuation' doesn't hold as much weight when the selling club don't actually need the deal to happen.

The main variable will be how much Jamal wants it to happen. We can value him out of a move as much as we want as we don't need the sale. But if he has his heart set on this particular progression at this point in his career, there is usually only one outcome. Time will tell on that one.

Edited by Flying Dutchman

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

I have no idea what that reply means, I haven’t relied on hindsight at all. And quite how you will ‘prove’ to have been right escapes me, gIven that we both expect more than one player to be sold this summer and it will be impossible to demonstrate that the number ended up being greater than it otherwise would have been because we forced Liverpool to pay twenty million instead of ten 

Well basically players that none of us want to leave will leave in the not too distant future. Lewis is a yardstick to show any suitors for other players that we will demand top fees and only sell on our terms. 

We need to lose the little old Norwich mentality and only sell when a club meets the asking price. 

18 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Well basically players that none of us want to leave will leave in the not too distant future. Lewis is a yardstick to show any suitors for other players that we will demand top fees and only sell on our terms. 

We need to lose the little old Norwich mentality and only sell when a club meets the asking price. 

It's been a busy day for me and I haven't had much chance to follow this, but based on these 2 updates I've just seen I'd say that (if accurate) we are heading in the right direction to not hold the little old Norwich mentality and not be bullied.

SmartSelect_20200806-233006_Facebook.jpg

I think 10 million is fair for Lewis, he won't be Liverpool's first choice left back and none of our defenders blazed themselves in glory last season and he must be desperate to go , who wouldn't be if Liverpool came calling, lets be ruthless get rid and bring on the changes. Good luck Jamal see you on MOTD

2 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I think 10 million is fair for Lewis, he won't be Liverpool's first choice left back and none of our defenders blazed themselves in glory last season and he must be desperate to go , who wouldn't be if Liverpool came calling, lets be ruthless get rid and bring on the changes. Good luck Jamal see you on MOTD

Welcome to the forum.

And congrats on the Premier League title win.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Young English full back with 10 years ahead of him and all the right attritubutes... And you think 10 million is fair. 

Wow. 

10 million is a lot of profit made, you can buy a lot of good defenders for less than that

9 minutes ago, Mullet said:

10 million is a lot of profit made, you can buy a lot of good defenders for less than that

Perhaps Liverpool should go and get one of them, then.  Pay the going rate or jog on. Simple.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Flying Dutchman said:

It's been a busy day for me and I haven't had much chance to follow this, but based on these 2 updates I've just seen I'd say that (if accurate) we are heading in the right direction to not hold the little old Norwich mentality and not be bullied.

SmartSelect_20200806-233006_Facebook.jpg

Dutch, you're not new here so what right you think you have using evidence in your posts to support the club god only knows.

What we have to do is criticise the club for receiving a bid on a player, for some reason. And then paint some doomsday scenario where selling Lewis means we are selling everyone.

Its important at this point to note that Lewis was likely the one we were most willing to sell as we purchased a replacement six months ago and already have another player who took his place last season. But please note that is evidence so can't be used here.

DELIA OUT. Lets get a banner or something.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Ive just checked what other championship players are valued at and it appears most decent players receiving interest from premier league clubs are being valued at 20-25 million and the buying club values them at around 15 million therefore 10 million does seem low. Jamal's only going to warm the bench though and he wants to go which Liverpool are probably weighing up. Will be interesting to see how it ends i'm guessing 15 million

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Dutch, you're not new here so what right you think you have using evidence in your posts to support the club god only knows.

What we have to do is criticise the club for receiving a bid on a player, for some reason. And then paint some doomsday scenario where selling Lewis means we are selling everyone.

Its important at this point to note that Lewis was likely the one we were most willing to sell as we purchased a replacement six months ago and already have another player who took his place last season. But please note that is evidence so can't be used here.

DELIA OUT. Lets get a banner or something.

Noted. Thanks for steering me right Hog. I don't know what came over me.

I should really know better by now. I retract my post as fake news, no, needless propaganda in fact. 

Apologies to all those affected by factual information.

As you were.

Banner waving questionable Chinese businessman in, Delia out. Club's a joke. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Perhaps Liverpool should go and get one of them, then.  Pay the going rate or jog on. Simple.

As long as you know that Jamal Lewis is nowhere near the best young homegrown left back and any Premier League suitors may have other options...

With Rico Henry being linked to a lot of Premier League clubs and Brentford missing out on promotion, I suspect Jamal Lewis's price will be partially linked to how much Brentford are prepared to accept for Rico Henry.

Sessegnon also tipped with a move back to Fulham. Jamal Lewis not the only young homegrown left back on the market, there actually seems to be an abundance right now.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Obvious replacement at LB is Byram unless we sell Aarons in which case he will be needed there...then McCallum will be presumably lined up.

...but what about Heise?...obviously not good enough for the premier league but he must have something about him to have been playing at the level he has in Germany for that time and to have been brought here in the first place??

10 hours ago, Aggy said:

Everyone’s happy

Hmmm, can we hold you to that cos I reckon lots on here will kick off at 15 million. 

Any club that doesn't take an opportunity to take the 'big' Premier League clubs to the cleaners are daft. 

If you're in a position where you do not need to sell and the player in question is on a long deal, then the players actual value is almost irrelevant. You squeeze the 'big' club for every last penny.