Even Liverpool must realise that coming in with a derisory offer is going to be counterproductive. Its not worth considering in my opinion and I reckon Stuart Webber gave it short shrift. 15-20 million with a conditions attached (appearances/sell on etc) ought to be the satisfactory outcome here.

Edited by ricardo

7 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Even Liverpool must realise that coming in with a derisory offer is going to be counterproductive. Its not worth considering in my opinion and I reckon Stuart Webber gave it short shrift. 15-20 million with a conditions attached (appearances/sell on etc) ought to be the satisfactory outcome here.

The only reason Liverpool have come in with a low offer so publicly is to unsettle Lewis. They knew it would get batted away immediately. Liverpool have a habit of conducting their business very openly, knowing they have huge pulling power and it’s the best way to drive down fees.

It’s not in Liverpool’s interest for the deal to be done quietly as they aren’t worried about anyone else being able to turn Lewis’ head away from them. 

• Like 2

If Liverpool want him then good luck to him, can’t refuse the chance for a move like that. Personally I don’t see him making much of an impact there but we’ll see. But Liverpool have to pay the going rate and that is £20 million plus or they can jog on. Why the hell should we sell a player to the Champions on the cheap?

Edited by JF

If this deal is concluded on Norwich’s terms then anyone who thinks only one or two more will leave is in for a surprise. Lewis was probably the one who was more like to stay due to lack of interest compared to the others who are worth more. 

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The only reason Liverpool have come in with a low offer so publicly is to unsettle Lewis. They knew it would get batted away immediately. Liverpool have a habit of conducting their business very openly, knowing they have huge pulling power and it’s the best way to drive down fees.

It’s not in Liverpool’s interest for the deal to be done quietly as they aren’t worried about anyone else being able to turn Lewis’ head away from them. 

Where is it now being said Liverpool have made this offer please as I can’t find that story anywhere with us still denying any offer is yet to be made. Has this changed this afternoon ? as yesterday Lewis was still on holiday.

All clubs use the tactic now to get moves, Liverpool have it done to them, Suarez and Sterling spring to mind and we do it to clubs smaller than us. I am not saying that is a correct way of doing business but unless you are Real Madrid or Barcelona you are attacked for your players in the same way.

9 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Where is it now being said Liverpool have made this offer please as I can’t find that story anywhere with us still denying any offer is yet to be made. Has this changed this afternoon ? as yesterday Lewis was still on holiday.

All clubs use the tactic now to get moves, Liverpool have it done to them, Suarez and Sterling spring to mind and we do it to clubs smaller than us. I am not saying that is a correct way of doing business but unless you are Real Madrid or Barcelona you are attacked for your players in the same way.

Sky sports news front page reporting 10mil is rejected.

Not a million miles off. We say they 20. They say 10. We say 17.5, they say 12.5 and we agree on 15. Everyone’s happy.

2 minutes ago, JF said:

If Liverpool want him then good luck to him, can’t refuse the chance for a move like that. Personally I don’t see him making much of an impact there but we’ll see. But Liverpool have to pay the going rate and that is £20 million plus or they can jog on. Why the hell should we sell a player to the Champions on the cheap?

Exactly JF - I see exactly the same as you. If a young defender in a team that has just been relegated is really good enough for both the PL and CL then why is he only worth £10m when you see clubs of that level offering £80m+ 

Do we want to sell any of our talent? NO

Do we need to sell any of our talent? NO

As a result of this I’m trusting Webber to stick to his transfer policy and not let any of our talent go for under £20m. For Lewis I wouldn’t accept anything less than £25m with 50% sell on clause

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

As a result of this I’m trusting Webber to stick to his transfer policy and not let any of our talent go for under £20m. For Lewis I wouldn’t accept anything less than £25m with 50% sell on clause

I think that's a little to optimistic, I suspect it will end up around £15m cash plus sell on of profit (not 50%) and I would hope that we'd get a player also, ideally to sign or a loan.

They have some young talent there that we could cherry pick from.

27 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Exactly JF - I see exactly the same as you. If a young defender in a team that has just been relegated is really good enough for both the PL and CL then why is he only worth £10m when you see clubs of that level offering £80m+ 

Be lucky to get a 50 percent sell on clause. Normally 25, I can't remember any players being sold on with 50 percent going to previous clubs

Just now, Ward 3 said:

Be lucky to get a 50 percent sell on clause. Normally 25, I can't remember any players being sold on with 50 percent going to previous clubs

You might, very occasionally, get a 50% of profit sell on clause. But certainly never a 50% of any sell on. 

It easy for people to come on here and spout unrealistic transfer fees and clauses - largely so they can then criticise the club for not being able to deliver such an unrealistic fee.

The reality is that if you refuse to let a player leave due to having unrealistic expectations you don’t just upset that one player, you upset a lot of current players who will feel the club will also stand in their way.

It can also make it hard to sign new players, as they won’t want to sign for a club that won’t sell them for a fair price in the future. 

£10m is obviously under bidding but getting Liverpool up to £20m will be a very tall order. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

You might, very occasionally, get a 50% of profit sell on clause. But certainly never a 50% of any sell on. 

It easy for people to come on here and spout unrealistic transfer fees and clauses - largely so they can then criticise the club for not being able to deliver such an unrealistic fee.

The reality is that if you refuse to let a player leave due to having unrealistic expectations you don’t just upset that one player, you upset a lot of current players who will feel the club will also stand in their way.

It can also make it hard to sign new players, as they won’t want to sign for a club that won’t sell them for a fair price in the future. 

£10m is obviously under bidding but getting Liverpool up to £20m will be a very tall order. 

IT will be 15mill with add on's taking up to 20 million so Webber can tell the fans it is 20 million 

I Do not mind selling these youngsters BUT only if a most of  the money is spent on the squad ,

I agree with Bethnal it will unsettle more than lewis if we turn down the boys dream move 

14 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

We don't have to. 

I'm sure there are other highly rated left backs. 

7 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

IT will be 15mill with add on's taking up to 20 million so Webber can tell the fans it is 20 million 

I Do not mind selling these youngsters BUT only if a most of  the money is spent on the squad ,

I agree with Bethnal it will unsettle more than lewis if we turn down the boys dream move 

The club won’t deny him the move. But the deal has to be right for all parties involved and that includes us getting the going rate for the player. There is absolutely no reason why the club, or any club for that matter would sell for less than the going rate. Would Liverpool accept less than Salah’s value if Barcelona were to come knocking just because it’s his dream move? 

Edited by JF

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If this deal is concluded on Norwich’s terms then anyone who thinks only one or two more will leave is in for a surprise. Lewis was probably the one who was more like to stay due to lack of interest compared to the others who are worth more. 

Agreed.

My question to all is what if we sell the lot:

Lewis Godfrey Buendia Cantrell Pukki and Aarons.

What then would be your expectations from the club. To continue to reinforce at the spending and reputation level they have so far since the season ended or serious up both?

genuinely believe this could happen. Genuinely interested to hear what otherS would think.

Mcallum being signed at Christmas was a big indicator that he would be leaving in my opinion, we were never going to spend £3m on someone to just sit them on the bench

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Mcallum being signed at Christmas was a big indicator that he would be leaving in my opinion, we were never going to spend £3m on someone to just sit them on the bench

Definitely, who else do you think will leave be it on a transfer request or the club wanting to sell? 

13 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Agreed.

My question to all is what if we sell the lot:

Lewis Godfrey Buendia Cantrell Pukki and Aarons.

What then would be your expectations from the club. To continue to reinforce at the spending and reputation level they have so far since the season ended or serious up both?

genuinely believe this could happen. Genuinely interested to hear what otherS would think.

i think if they sold the lot then they would spend  a lot of money on the ground to avoid tax 

I can not see them spending 30/40 million on the squad 

people will say wages but they should be accounted for already in a self funding club 

also the problem we have is we buy a player for 10 million say he will probably want more than 20k a week which seems our ceiling in the champs 

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

No chance whatsoever. As someone else said there will be some 'argy bargy' between £8M and £20m with the 'add on's being the key factor. I expect the basic fee to be about £11M or £12M but some hopefully realistic add ons will be tied in so that the 'final' fee could be about $16 M or £17m. 

4 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i think if they sold the lot then they would spend  a lot of money on the ground to avoid tax 

people will say wages but they should be accounted for already in a self funding club 

also the problem we have is we buy a player for 10 million say he will probably want more than 20k a week which seems our ceiling in the champs 

I guess it depends if we can sweeten the deal with a large signing on fee, certainly for a free transfer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, norfolkngood said:

In which case the squad never continues to improve unless you’re guaranteed to find a Buendia or an Aarons every year. My fear is that level of luck or whatever we should call it will runs out. Not everyone we have signed has be a success and not every youngster who comes through becomes a Aarons. What if no one we sign at our low expenditure level this year is the real deal or none of the youngsters make the grade this time?

18 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Definitely, who else do you think will leave be it on a transfer request or the club wanting to sell? 

We don’t want to sell and the only player that could possibly put in a transfer request will be EMI. If other players leave it will be because of bids.

4 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

No chance whatsoever. As someone else said there will be some 'argy bargy' between £8M and £20m with the 'add on's being the key factor. I expect the basic fee to be about £11M or £12M but some hopefully realistic add ons will be tied in so that the 'final' fee could be about $16 M or £17m. 

They want him, we don’t need to sell. How many international caps does this player have already? £20m with add ons seems about right. 

• Like 1

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

They want him, we don’t need to sell. How many international caps does this player have already? £20m with add ons seems about right. 

Yet several articles have emerged today saying £20m is our asking price of Emi. I would rate him well above Lewis. The articles may be utter tosh or we will eventually take a lot less than many are expecting to get for our saleable assets!

Just now, Hardhouse44 said:

Yet several articles have emerged today saying £20m is our asking price of Emi. I would rate him well above Lewis. The articles may be utter tosh or we will eventually take a lot less than many are expecting to get for our saleable assets!

If Buendia went for just £20m Webber would need shooting. He is by far the best player at the club by a long way. 

I guess you have to be given credit for dreaming up a downside to Norwich City successfully driving a hard bargain against one of the top clubs in world football.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

If Buendia went for just £20m Webber would need shooting. He is by far the best player at the club by a long way. 

I wholeheartedly agree. But I fear that we get to a point and wobble. Plus our tendency to not disclose what we receive which whilst is a tactic to stop others putting up the  prices of our targets allows us to hide our wobbles I fear. 

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

I guess you have to be given credit for dreaming up a downside to Norwich City successfully driving a hard bargain against one of the top clubs in world football.

What part of what I said is incorrect then?

18 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

We don’t want to sell and the only player that could possibly put in a transfer request will be EMI. If other players leave it will be because of bids.

You can’t see Cantwell or Godfrey putting in a request? Maybe you will be proved correct but we will see. 

3 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I wholeheartedly agree. But I fear that we get to a point and wobble. Plus our tendency to not disclose what we receive which whilst is a tactic to stop others putting up the  prices of our targets allows us to hide our wobbles I fear. 

The Old Webber Wobble ! 

I have heard it so many times we do not need to sell etc 

Every club says that before they sell a Player 

Never going to say we need to sell and be glad to get rid of him