7 minutes ago, curious yellow said:

8 million is an insult to Jamal. It is bad enough to unsettle a player, but to rate him at such a low price - just because they want him as back up - is bullying. 

Lewis must realise he is replacing another player - the same age who wants to leave. 

Has their actually been a firm bid made?

24 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Bryam is not a left back though. That was just because he had performed ok whilst Lewis was out and as usual Farke was doing his "don;t change the team" until you have to thing.

We also have no real feel yet for whether McCullum is up to it.

There is no doubt Lewis is out first choice left back and I think he had a better season than most last season. Yes he has weaknesses in terms of defending crosses at the far post and his final ball is very frustrating but improve those on the training ground and you've got a top player in your hands. In my opinion potentially better than Aarons as he's bigger/more athletic.

Granted they've never been England managers, but I seem to remember the consensus among Cov fans was that McCallum had more potential than Maddison.

• Like 1

I hope we play hardball with Liverpool. They have done well in recent years at getting top money for their players, but they spent a net £127 million on players in 2018/19 and £400 million gross in the last 4 years.

Notwithstanding Covid, they are the Champions and have to expect to pay top dollar for players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BobLoz3 said:

Has anyone on here ever taken him seriously?

Trading insults with insults never helped anyone. Ever. It doesn't even feel good. Having the last word is the same. 

Conversely, being nice generally does feel good. As for worrying about someone being overly critical or spiteful on here, the only response is to try to understand where it comes from. If you know that, then it makes sense. If not, we assume it's...I'm not sure what. No doubt something fairly deep.

We are a weird species! x

That's my homemade psychoanalysis done for the day 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

what's the difference between a fire sale and a repositioning of the squad? I think we will both accept big bids for our best players...£40m is not a bad offer I'd say and hardly a fire sale. They are in the same boat as us.

A fire sale is done out of desperation, often due to poor cash flow and the cash is needed quickly. Repositioning the squad does not have such a sense of financial "panic" to it.

1 hour ago, Pugin said:

Trading insults with insults never helped anyone. Ever. It doesn't even feel good. Having the last word is the same. 

Conversely, being nice generally does feel good. As for worrying about someone being overly critical or spiteful on here, the only response is to try to understand where it comes from. If you know that, then it makes sense. If not, we assume it's...I'm not sure what. No doubt something fairly deep.

So in summary Pugino..... ' forgive them father, for they know not what they do,'? 

Personally, I thought HH44s response was way ott, and should be mocked, he may think twice in future.

20 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

So in summary Pugino..... ' forgive them father, for they know not what they do,'? 

Personally, I thought HH44s response was way ott, and should be mocked, he may think twice in future.

Don't think twice, it's all right.

Someone just needs to give him a cuddle.

A quiet word about calling the other kids in the playground a **** **** head and suchlike wouldn't go amiss either.

1 hour ago, Pugin said:

Tell me about your mother...

I keep trying to read Hardhouse when he posts, just that it comes out in my head as Sh!thouse.

23 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I keep trying to read Hardhouse when he posts, just that it comes out in my head as Sh!thouse.

That's positively Freudian!

28 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Although expecting Hot Head 44 to go quietly from this thread, in the absense of any reasoned response to justify the unfounded criticism of our club, I did wonder that any reply would be limited to insult.   It's a shame that some on hear have quite strong views (always critical) about things but rarely can articulate a rational argument to support them.... .     

5 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Wcork has answered. A firesale is what we had in 1996. In effect we were forced to sell because of the mess our finances had got into.

Now, if it wasn't for the virus, and the damage that act of God has already caused us and the potential lack of any match-day income for the following season, I am not sure we would need to sell anyone this summer.

With Bournemouth, and I doubt the Ake sale is that last there will be, their finances by all accounts, leaving aside the virus, are in a real mess anyway. That is the significant difference.

So Madison was a fire sale... Anyway, the owner of Bournemouth has stated his desire to get the club back to the premiership asap and it will be interesting to see if he backs his statement with cash. I suspect the £40m deal was one too good not to accept,  the same if we get £20m offered for any of our players.  The £34m loss for Bournemouth posted in March is twice what Webber expected the virus to hit us by...that £40m sale for Bournemouth looks to have plugged that hole quite significantly.

The net effect for both clubs is the same on the pitch next season, so I would not to holding up Bournemouth as being anything different than we are.... Depending on their next boss I expect them to be near the top of the championship.

5 hours ago, Pugin said:

I agree wholeheartedly but we need the niceness to be a two way thing ✌️

54 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I agree wholeheartedly but we need the niceness to be a two way thing ✌️

‘You cannot change others, you can only change yourself. 

Though sometimes by changing yourself others change around you.’

Central tenet of Buddhism ☸️  (as I suspect @Pugin knows). 

Parma 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Don't agree, Byram being fit is a bit assumption. Lewis has been a first choice starter all season and will remain so if he stays.

Except when Byram was fit and Jamal was his back up for about 1/3 of the season

• Like 1

If Jamal Lewis had played for Liverpool against Norwich this season you would have fancied us to get at him. 

Wtf is the NI manager on - he’s ‘excited’ at the prospect of Lewis going to Liverpool...I get that it’s good to have your players playing as high a level as possible, but he’d be a perennial benchwarmer, so how on earth does that benefit his country? What a fool.

Liverpool are clearly playing on their standing to turn Lewis’s head/get him to throw his toys around.  IMO he’s decent but not that great (yet) but they can sod right off if they think they should get him on the cheap - they are a wealthy side and should pay the going rate.  I’d love for another side to come in and have a higher offer accepted.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

If Jamal Lewis had played for Liverpool against Norwich this season you would have fancied us to get at him. 

He's definitely one who can be bullied in the air if you have the players to do it, but pretty solid on the ground IMO (and rapid obviously).

Liverpool are doing to us the same as what we would/have done to smaller clubs. 

However, we aren't in a position to be bullied like this as much as they may try. 

At the end of the day we will demand what is expected for Lewis. 

40 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

‘You cannot change others, you can only change yourself. 

Though sometimes by changing yourself others change around you.’

Central tenet of Buddhism ☸️  (as I suspect @Pugin knows). 

Parma 

Good Karma, Parma.

7 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

Liverpool are doing to us the same as what we would/have done to smaller clubs. 

However, we aren't in a position to be bullied like this as much as they may try. 

At the end of the day we will demand what is expected for Lewis. 

Its easy to say no to Liverpool - it is not so easy to tell a player that they are stopping him from making a potentially once in a life time move and the player to not kick off about it. 

How Lewis (and his representatives) react will be the real news to Liverpool’s bid. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Pugin said:

What on earth are you doing, posting something like this on this discussion board? Do you not realise that you have just devalued anything you may ever wish to say on here? It is a truly hopeless post and a unacceptable way to behave. Now, no one can ever take you seriously. There may be sites where this sort of thing is acceptable, but most people would have nothing to do with them. I despair!!!! Sent in sorrow, not in anger or spite 😞

The very reason for my over the top post was to highlight and to play up to the insult levelled at me that I wouldn’t be able to rely with an articulate response from a condescending reply to my original post. It was of course fine for that person to reply to me with “for the record, not expecting an articulated reply to this.... reckon you couldn't evidence one.” because his opinions matter and mine don’t. So he can insult my intelligence and ability to articulate. His stance on the club gives him the right label anyone who differs in opinion to him as a person unable to converse intelligently. I was giving him what he wanted. 

There is a bulling element on this board lead by those who are opposed to change, discussion about change or anything that levels criticism at the management and/or the board. That bulling usually takes the form of questioning the intelligence of the posters who has dared to question the hierarchy of the club. 

well I’m sorry but I don’t play that way. I give and I take. But nobody has the right to belittle me or my intelligence through this forum without first having a rational discussion. 

most of these bullies have nothing better to do than spend all day every day on here either starting attentions seeking drivel or replying in a condescending manner to everyone they disagree with the intention of make us better people. This is only highlighted by the phenomenal post counts that many of these individuals have. 

The bully who expected nothing but an inarticulate reply got what he wanted. I won’t change my view for him or anybody. I won’t be told what to think or how to think and if you ask me its his inability to hold a reasonable argument without starting the personal insults that highlights what an sad self righteous person he and many other on here are. 

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Wtf is the NI manager on - he’s ‘excited’ at the prospect of Lewis going to Liverpool...I get that it’s good to have your players playing as high a level as possible, but he’d be a perennial benchwarmer, so how on earth does that benefit his country? What a fool.

Liverpool are clearly playing on their standing to turn Lewis’s head/get him to throw his toys around.  IMO he’s decent but not that great (yet) but they can sod right off if they think they should get him on the cheap - they are a wealthy side and should pay the going rate.  I’d love for another side to come in and have a higher offer accepted.

Totally agree with you there Branston. Yes it’s great to have your international squad made up of players with top flight experience but does the manager really think Lewis is better than Robertson? Lewis is keen on the move as he has said he wants to play in the CL and PL week in week out but does he really think if he goes to the champions of the PL this summer he will do that? Personally I can only see him getting experience of watching and warming the bench in the CL and PL week in week out if that

If Liverpool want Lewis why can they only afford £10m for a player with PL and good Championship experience when they can afford to offer £80m+ for players with good PL and CL experience and pay loads of players wages of £200k+ p/w?

As Webber has said, we have no need to sell and want to keep as much of our talent as possible for next season so will not let any of our talent go for under £20m. For Lewis I wouldn’t accept anything less than £25m with a 50% sell on clause

46 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Its easy to say no to Liverpool - it is not so easy to tell a player that they are stopping him from making a potentially once in a life time move and the player to not kick off about it. 

How Lewis (and his representatives) react will be the real news to Liverpool’s bid. 

I agree, but he's a 22 year old on a long term contract. We're a recently relegated team with money in the bank and several highly valued assets. 

Lewis's camp may well want to force the move, but they are also aware we are in a strong position to call their bluff. I certainly hope it wouldn't come to that. 

I don't see a Howson-esq scenario playing out this time. 

Worst case scenario (in my opinion), is we will get just shy of what we demand for Lewis. 

Edited by Chelm Canary

Jamal would also do well to reflect that he has been developed, nurtured and rewarded contract wise with us. If not, he wouldn't be having this attention from a top 6 club. I hope he recognises this whilst any potential transfer is sorted. He seems a level headed kind of bloke. Just depends how his agent guides him too.

Edited by sonyc

I feel that Jamal going to Liverpool, if it happens, would greatly increase the chance of Todd going there too.

1 minute ago, Pugin said:

I feel that Jamal going to Liverpool, if it happens, would greatly increase the chance of Todd going there too.

Be it there or elsewhere but he’ll be off soon enough as will several other of the gems. 

9 hours ago, jaberry2 said:

You're right, whatever our first sale of one of our youngsters achieves sets a president for other sales and sends a message to buying clubs that our youngsters are/not available on the cheap for example. I believe Webber will stand firm on this point and rightly so.

Yep agree with this. What happens we sell Lewis for £8m?  Spurs offer £10m for Aarons, Man Utd £15m for Godfrey? We might not have to sell any of them, but once one leaves the others will have their heads turned pretty quickly.

If it's cash plus player then it needs to be a position we need cover for such as centre half, striker, or defensive midfielder.