1 hour ago, wcorkcanary said:

What firesale?  Hasnt happened yet. Time to bleat is when it starts to happen, not when some hack reports a derisory offer (which maynot have happened) for one of our players. Get a grip, miserablist.

Thing is @Highland Canary desparately, achingly wants a firesale so he can come on here and tell everyone he was right. @king canary is probably right in that £15-£20 million is the sweet spot for a deal for a squad player in a Champions League team. If it included a season long loan for Brewster as well mosr fans would bite their hands off.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Yes it certainly doesn’t ruin your career financially it’s just I thought the reason football players became football players was to play football? It certainly can ruin your career as a player though

Do you not add to that to get to the highest level possible and to win as much as you can. I am sure Jamal trusts his ability to become a Liverpool player and sees that he can better himself training and playing every day with the likes of Van ****, Salah, Robertson, ect. In the modern world of professional football he would be an under 23 at most clubs not about to be signed by one of the biggest clubs in the world. This move is less of a risk for him than his academy move to Norwich where overnight he made it several more times difficult to even become a professional footballer.

Do you think it would be better for him to move to the likes of Crystal Palace, still double his salary but play every week ?. In the real world I can’t think that any young footballer would turn down the opportunity to sign for Liverpool ( or Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea ect ) . 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Do you not add to that to get to the highest level possible and to win as much as you can. I am sure Jamal trusts his ability to become a Liverpool player and sees that he can better himself training and playing every day with the likes of Van ****, Salah, Robertson, ect. In the modern world of professional football he would be an under 23 at most clubs not about to be signed by one of the biggest clubs in the world. This move is less of a risk for him than his academy move to Norwich where overnight he made it several more times difficult to even become a professional footballer.

Do you think it would be better for him to move to the likes of Crystal Palace, still double his salary but play every week ?. In the real world I can’t think that any young footballer would turn down the opportunity to sign for Liverpool ( or Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea ect ) . 

Good Post. If true, it could be a once in a career opportunity to play at the highest level. The days when minutes played in the Chumps was a way to build a career (if not contracted to a top level club minding your career) are long gone. It is romantic fantasy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Well b back said:

If any of our players move back up to a PL club, I think it should be one of the smaller teams as I do believe they would stand a chance there. Clubs like Palace or Brighton might be ok for them or one of the newly promoted teams. I just can’t see them standing a chance at any of the big teams 

He's as good as gone.  The total package may, including loan swap, get to £20million.  But post Covid the market will see a reduction in prices from the previous normal, no matter that Webber stated £20m start point.  £10m will be the quoted fee.

As for McCallum being injured a lot, can anyone share the evidence!  Personally think he has the potential to be a step up on Lewis, certainly looks more physically developed.

Edited by shefcanary
mispelling

I believe sell-on clauses and bonuses will be very much the order of the day in this Covid era to insure an income down the years. Especially so for the younger players.

Therefore, you can see a case for lower transfer prices being quoted because the total value will only be realised over a longer period of time. 

4 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

I'm glad you clarified that the figures you quote are 'ridiculous' but no-one is going to pay anything like these amounts for said players!

Wouldn’t take any more than £10m off most  of those prices before selling. Nice to see the most gifted player by a mile given the highest value. 

44 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

If any of our players move back up to a PL club, I think it should be one of the smaller teams as I do believe they would stand a chance there. Clubs like Palace or Brighton might be ok for them or one of the newly promoted teams. I just can’t see them standing a chance at any of the big teams 

I see the point but I do think by moving to the highest level you can work with exceptional athletes where the expectations are slightly different than a mid table or lower prem team. Like I said you can be a starter in one of the cup competitions and have a realistic chance of earning silverware as part of a squad. You will have chances to be on the bench for European fixtures as well

Jamal and others have a lot still to learn and what a great position to be in. I also feel that once signed for a few years you know that if you do not get much game time and if you want game time, in year 2 you can go out on loan to a mid prem team.

If you join a mid prem team and in year 1 you are injured or it doesn't quite happen you will be on loan to a championship team. 

For me I hope if the interest is there we can come out with a great deal and what an achievement to be a Liverpool player after a relegation with us for a left back.

Let's just be honest here for a second. At no point are any of our players going to turn around and go

"Liverpool want me? The champions? Win a few cups, possibly another title and Champions League? Nah, I'd rather stay at Norwich and try my luck at not getting my leg broken by a Wycombe player".

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

While I think it is true about clubs like Man City and previously Chelsea who had no real interest in developing youth players the same can not be said for Liverpool. Since Edwards took control of transfers they have rarely signed anyone who hasn’t been used a significant amount - they don’t have the money to waste on players who don’t play. If Jamal goes there he’ll get plenty of game time (although obviously not as much as he would for Norwich). 

The problem with going to a mid table Prem team is it can be incredibly hard to get out. Leicester are talking about a fee of £80m for Ben Chilwell. 

In many ways it is better to jump straight to a big club and then if it doesn’t work out drop down to a smaller team. 

• Like 1

Never ever celebrated or got excited about selling our best players, despite it being a part of a selling club / self funded clubs business plan... Think if he is attracting interest from Liverpool given their current position, they see a lot in him. £10m plus an under 19 year old is an insult. 

14 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

All this speculation of our players in negotiations with these high profile clubs.....   to be in negotiations the clubs have to have agreed and presumably that includes a fee.    Clubs can’t just approach our contracted players..... there are rules.     

we don’t need to sell so the price has to be our call....   let them pay £30-40 mill or leave us alone!

Wouldnt sell

Godfrey for less than £40m

Buendia £50m

Aarons £35m

Lewis £20m

Cantwell £40m

Pukki £15m.   

Ridiculous prices but we don’t need to sell.   

OTBC

We have heard this before from the club. The problem is we always do.

And I'm convinced we will, and we won't get anywhere near those figures.

The "don't need to sell" trick is just that. Its a way of us trying to inflate teams offers. We're literally trying to say make us an offer we can refuse. Inevitably someone always does becaue when it comes to it we waver and cant resist. 

I believe every one on that list could go before the season kicks off and all will be gone by the close of the mid season transfer window.

I'm sorry but I have no trust in the board. Misdrection, lies and spin. It's what we get. Like the plan / project. Its just mañana mañana. Always promising something that is just enough to keep the status quo. But alway in the far distant future which will be scrapped, changed and debunked when we change personal. Come a new director of sport and manger come another list of ecxuses and spin as to why the plan has changed and why we've ended up with what we have. Which is alway very little if no progression. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

He’s only 18 how many injuries has he had ?

Wrong player ...my bad... Must pay attention. McCallum is not injury prone and looks a prospect...

• Like 1

I would back him to go to Liverpool. They will be involved in so many competitions that he will get his chances there.

Not quite sure why they would let us have a real prospect when Lewis wasn't outstanding in the Prem. But they may well think he will be great playing for them.

And we must remember that when they leave they are just memories to us. Move on and back their replacements.

They wouldnt be lettting the prospect go - it is the other way round. He has a year left on his contract and wont extend as he wants first team football. According to several Liverpool fan tweets he has set his mind on going to Leeds as he wants to play for Bielsa (although not sure how he would be a first teamer in the prem) Even if we agree a deal with Liverpool for him, they cant force the player to sign with us.

Personally I think had Lewis been French/Algerian then Liverpool would have no interest whatsoever. He would be there just to make up the quota. Robertson will start every Premier League and Champions League game, just as he did last season. Lewis will get a few token Cup appearances.

For a swap to work it has to fit a lot of other criteria besides convenience. It's theoretically possible- but a real long shot given how targeted our recruitment is. However first dibs on Liverpool's loaners might be worth something. 

As far as Lewis is concerned he seems to be the most likely to move of our younger stars. Full Back positions are easier to fill without unsettling the team too much and we have cover in this area.

Also given our model we do need to turnover some of our younger players in order to bank the gains on their rising asset values and to create opportunities for others who need first team appearances in order to appreciate in value themselves.

Even if the Covid 19 crisis impacts player values for this year at £10m Edwards is asking Webber not only to eat his own words but also to roll over and have his tummy tickled.

It's not going to happen.

Not at £10m, everyone knows that. 

4 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

5 years at a conservative 40K a week is over £8 million. If his career ended the day after those 5 years and he never played again, i suspect he'd be able to struggle through to retirement significantly more comfortably than any of us will.

Indeed, but I'm referring to his career, not his earnings.

2 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

The "don't need to sell" trick is just that. Its a way of us trying to inflate teams offers. We're literally trying to say make us an offer we can refuse. Inevitably someone always does becaue when it comes to it we waver and cant resist. 

I believe every one on that list could go before the season kicks off and all will be gone by the close of the mid season transfer window.

I'm sorry but I have no trust in the board. Misdrection, lies and spin. It's what we get. Like the plan / project. Its just mañana mañana. Always promising something that is just enough to keep the status quo. But alway in the far distant future which will be scrapped, changed and debunked when we change personal. Come a new director of sport and manger come another list of ecxuses and spin as to why the plan has changed and why we've ended up with what we have. Which is alway very little if no progression. 

We only have those valuable players in the first place due to the people and policies put in place by the board. Or do you think they just magically happen? How many clubs right now desperately wish they had one player to sell for £20m, let alone five?! We already have exciting, highly rated replacements and the incoming funds will enable us to push our recruitment level up significantly (particularly with Covid).

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mr.Carrow said:

We only have those valuable players in the first place due to the people and policies put in place by the board. Or do you think they just magically happen? How many clubs right now desperately wish they had one player to sell for £20m, let alone five?! We already have exciting, highly rated replacements and the incoming funds will enable us to push our recruitment level up significantly (particularly with Covid).

And that costs money. Having a Category One academy and having the necessary scouting network in the UK and abroad do not come cheap. If you look at TWTD you will find Ipswich fans, through gritted teeth, praising the way the club is run, not just compared with their club, which would be an easy contrast to make, but as an absolute. I also looked at one of the Sunderalnd forums to see what they said about Bali Mumba and why he had joined us, and there was the same envious appreciation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Desert_Fox_2 said:

They wouldnt be lettting the prospect go - it is the other way round. He has a year left on his contract and wont extend as he wants first team football. According to several Liverpool fan tweets he has set his mind on going to Leeds as he wants to play for Bielsa (although not sure how he would be a first teamer in the prem) Even if we agree a deal with Liverpool for him, they cant force the player to sign with us.

Leeds are certainly looking for a left back but it's not a priority plus at the moment Bielsa hasn't actually signed a new contract.

Want doesn’t get though. We don’t need to sell, although I recognise the arguments about forcing unhappy players to stay.

As much as we wouldn't want to sell, I'd say that if we do, we further highlight our potential to other potential youngsters.

We can then basically say "if you want to get to the top, but you want first-team action, here's a prime example of a player who did precisely that with us at Colney as a youngster, then up through the ranks, then up in the top flight". Our model will be very sustainable if we can keep a consistent flow of talent coming through the youth ranks.

So, in a sporting sense on the field, Lewis going would be a blow. But McCallum could well be a replacement. Larouci was definitely a very highly-rated youngster at Le Havre before going to Liverpool and is supposed to be extremely fast. I suppose £15 million and a prospect in Larouci would not be a bad deal at all.

11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

As much as we wouldn't want to sell, I'd say that if we do, we further highlight our potential to other potential youngsters.

We can then basically say "if you want to get to the top, but you want first-team action, here's a prime example of a player who did precisely that with us at Colney as a youngster, then up through the ranks, then up in the top flight". Our model will be very sustainable if we can keep a consistent flow of talent coming through the youth ranks.

So, in a sporting sense on the field, Lewis going would be a blow. But McCallum could well be a replacement. Larouci was definitely a very highly-rated youngster at Le Havre before going to Liverpool and is supposed to be extremely fast. I suppose £15 million and a prospect in Larouci would not be a bad deal at all.

Exactly this. And if we cling on to our best players, there no path for progression, so we should see a few sales as necessary. Of course, we need to get a fair price and have good potential replacements, but things look positive from what we can see in that area.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

You're good at getting things wrong so sounds like we won't be selling many. Great news.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

What a miserable outlook.    Our board don't deserve the negativity and haven't detailed potential sales, thats come from the press.  Exactly when have you ever heard the club say 'We don't need to sell'?    I can't recall that... have heard them say 'We need to sell' plenty of times!     The fact that we don't need to sell should be applauded that we are in such a position.   

If we are trying to inflate the price, again, surely that should be applauded as they are always criticised for selling too cheap but don't let that get in the way of your negatives.   They clear can't win with some people.    Note there is no congratulations that the clubs policies have enabled us to talk about £100m worth of talent.... of course why let some positives get in your way.   So Webber and Farke have already said they don't want to sell our best players.... imagine Farke's thoughts if (after all this lack of support last time) he is faced with losing all of these players.... excepting for press speculation neither the players or the club have said that anyone wants to leave or is leaving.... Why do you believe the press instead of our club?   

The board have been more transparent with the fans than for many years.   it's the best way to run a club, to bring everyone together although Covid has got in the way but that's not the clubs fault.    This is the cruncher... this is where you go quietlyoff to another thread...... So what exactly have they done in say the past 3 years to deserve your allegation of misdirection, lies and spin?   you've written just over 4 lines in the final paragraph all negative and baseless........ or is it, come on lets hear what evidence you have for this rubbish.....  

For the record, not expecting an articulated reply to this.... reckon you couldn't evidence one.       

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr.Carrow said:

This, this this this this THIS!!!!!!

32 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You're good at getting things wrong so sounds like we won't be selling many. Great news.

And there's nothing 'hard ' about 'hardhouse' ,its macho pu$$y music. Mainly danced to by incels at parties when everyone else is having a good time with their beloveds and friends.  Rather listen to a bit of Scots Dragoon Guards Pipe and Drum, or an Icelandic whalebone nasal whistle orchestra.

• Haha 1