23 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Having no need to sell this summer we’d never let him go for that price - Webber stated the starting price for any of our talent would  be £20m, as we also want to keep as many of our first choice players as possible. Lewis has about 1 1/2 years worth of Championship experience, and 1 years worth of PL experience.

Farke has also warned all of our “superstars” not to think that they are superstars yet - I mean is Lewis really better than Andy Robertson? If we did accept an offer from Liverpool for him (and we would never accept £10m) and he accepted a contract I think he would probably end up wrecking his career.

Probably a 5 year contract on probably double the money ( triple what he is about to drop to ) can’t see how that ruins your career.

1 minute ago, yellowrider120 said:

I'm glad you clarified that the figures you quote are 'ridiculous' but no-one is going to pay anything like these amounts for said players!

Absolutely not, but I don't think a player would kick off too much if we enforced them to honour their contract if we only received a risible bid. I suspect at least one of those players has knocked on Farke or Webber's door and said that they're keen to stay in the Premier League and I suspect they've told them that is fine if they received a reasonable offer for them.

£10 million is not reasonable. He's an international left-back, he fills a homegrown box, he won't kick off if he plays under 25 games in a season and he has 100 first team appearances under his belt, almost a third of which was at PL level.

A lot of that would apply to Andy Robertson too, but I suspect Hull were not in as strong a position financially given what happened at that club after his departure and I bet he hadn't signed a brand new contract less than 12 months before he signed for Liverpool either.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

All this speculation of our players in negotiations with these high profile clubs.....   to be in negotiations the clubs have to have agreed and presumably that includes a fee.    Clubs can’t just approach our contracted players..... there are rules.     

we don’t need to sell so the price has to be our call....   let them pay £30-40 mill or leave us alone!

Wouldnt sell

Godfrey for less than £40m

Buendia £50m

Aarons £35m

Lewis £20m

Cantwell £40m

Pukki £15m.   

Ridiculous prices but we don’t need to sell.   

OTBC

Try telling the players the clubs need to take a run and jump. The last thing we need is a group of players not wanting to be here. 

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

Having no need to sell this summer we’d never let him go for that price - Webber stated the starting price for any of our talent would  be £20m, as we also want to keep as many of our first choice players as possible. Lewis has about 1 1/2 years worth of Championship experience, and 1 years worth of PL experience.

Farke has also warned all of our “superstars” not to think that they are superstars yet - I mean is Lewis really better than Andy Robertson? If we did accept an offer from Liverpool for him (and we would never accept £10m) and he accepted a contract I think he would probably end up wrecking his career.

Tend to agree.   Jamal doesn’t have the crossing ability to oust Robertson so will only play if he gets injured or needs a rest.  

32 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Try telling the players the clubs need to take a run and jump. The last thing we need is a group of players not wanting to be here. 

They signed the long term contracts!   Up to clubs to stump up the cash.    

If one goes on the cheap, will it open the floodgates and what if 5 or 6 want to jump ship?    Where would that leave us?   

Would suggest the last thing we need is to be stuck with Drmic, Stiepermann, Trybull, McLean, Leitner and Rupp to prop the team up!

I like Jamal but out of all the "big 5" that are likely to be poached, I'd miss him the least since we've got Maccalum in to replace already who is off the back of a very strong season with Coventry and ready to jump straight in.

Hope it is a side like Liverpool he goes as he'll basically replace Milner as left back cover and probably have a good time there.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

I'm glad you clarified that the figures you quote are 'ridiculous' but no-one is going to pay anything like these amounts for said players!

I have absolutely no problem with that!   

2 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

McCallum is very injury prone unfortunately

He’s only 18 how many injuries has he had ?

• Like 1

Championship clubs generally make operating losses. This season’s firesale will be used to subsidise player wages over the next couple of years. Of course, if the club had access to new investment the necessity to dispose of our key assets would be mitigated.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

Championship clubs generally make operating losses. This season’s firesale will be used to subsidise player wages over the next couple of years. Of course, if the club had access to new investment the necessity to dispose of our key assets would be mitigated.

Isn't that what the parachute payments do?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

What firesale?  Hasnt happened yet. Time to bleat is when it starts to happen, not when some hack reports a derisory offer (which maynot have happened) for one of our players. Get a grip, miserablist.

• Like 1

I suspect an analysis of the financial statements of relegated clubs would reveal that parachute payments in no way cover the scale of losses on relegation. That when only (say) £20m of external debt leaves the club on the brink of administration is why new investment is needed. This is why Bournemouth, Watford etc are much stronger financially than we are on relegation. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Highland Canary said:

I suspect an analysis of the financial statements of relegated clubs would reveal that parachute payments in no way cover the scale of losses on relegation. That when only (say) £20m of external debt leaves the club on the brink of administration is why new investment is needed. This is why Bournemouth, Watford etc are much stronger financially than we are on relegation. 

Bournemouth & Watford do not have relegation clauses in their players contracts, we do.

I suspect you're just making stuff up.

I think SW would do well to get 10m for Lewis, SW gave LCFC a 50% discount when he sold them Maddison.

1 minute ago, simmo_2 said:

I think SW would do well to get 10m for Lewis, SW gave LCFC a 50% discount when he sold them Maddison.

I hope you realise no club in the world was going to spend £40 million on Maddison who'd only proven himself at Championship level.

He was, if I remember rightly, the most expensive player not to have played in the top flight.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's not going to be 10m though is it? Just because the tabloid rags are throwing a ridiculous figure out there, that's clearly not what the final price will be, assuming this deal has legs. Liverpool's people are throwing that value about, Webber is talking 20-25m to start; in reality the negotiations will begin and they'll meet somewhere in the middle - At a guess something like 14-15m plus Larouci who's probably worth about 5m and then some pretty hefty clauses based on future appearances and sell-on value.  While I like Lewis a lot and would love to see him stay here, that would represent a decent deal and you can't really begrudge a young player moving to the champions in the same way as if he was being linked with say West Brom or Palace who aren't such a huge step up from where we are now. 

• Like 2

Telegraph are saying we're holding out for £20m for Lewis and are under no pressure to sell.

Wondering if the club/agents briefed Independent/Mirror to try to pressure us to sell at £10m.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Probably a 5 year contract on probably double the money ( triple what he is about to drop to ) can’t see how that ruins your career.

If he sits on the bench it can ...... money does not necessarily equate to a good career..... just look at the Murphys as an example.

2 minutes ago, paul moy said:

If he sits on the bench it can ...... money does not necessarily equate to a good career..... just look at the Murphys as an example.

3 minutes ago, paul moy said:

That could happen at any club you are at. Had Byram remained fit Jamal would have spent most of the season on the bench here. A lot easier to move on again as a back up Liverpool player than a back up Norwich player ( that’s not meant to do our club down just a fact ). Had all the players stayed I would still see Jamal as back up to a fully fit Byram, unless we move to a 5 at the back system where our full backs would not have to defend as much. 

8 minutes ago, Well b back said:

That could happen at any club you are at. Had Byram remained fit Jamal would have spent most of the season on the bench here. A lot easier to move on again as a back up Liverpool player than a back up Norwich player ( that’s not meant to do our club down just a fact ). Had all the players stayed I would still see Jamal as back up to a fully fit Byram, unless we move to a 5 at the back system where our full backs would not have to defend as much. 

As back up here though he would have a better chance of playing, especially with the injury-prone Byram. Liverpool are at another level and so for him it would be much tougher to become a regular starter than here.  Most footballers want to play regular games and the Murphys are a good example of moves to the Prem that failed and necessitated them dropping down a level again to enjoy their football.  

Edited by paul moy

24 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Telegraph are saying we're holding out for £20m for Lewis and are under no pressure to sell.

Wondering if the club/agents briefed Independent/Mirror to try to pressure us to sell at £10m.

That's generally how it works, brief favourable press with a lowball offer as not only does it unsettle the player but also reduces the entry point for negotiations and potential rival bids...

2 minutes ago, paul moy said:

As back up here though he would have a better chance of playing. Liverpool are at another level and so for him it would be much tougher to become a regular starter than here.  Most footballers want to play regular games and the Murphys are a good example of moves to the Prem that failed and necessitated them dropping down a level again to enjoy their football.  

Liverpool generally play 60 games a season between league, cups and Europe so even if Lewis isn't a regular starter, he'll still get some game time. Even if said game time is limited, he'll be training with world class players and coaches which will only develop him. And if after a couple of years he decides to move on to play more regularly, a Premier League side would pick him up anyway from a club the size of Liverpool, which they may not had he gone to somewhere like Palace and not made the grade.

• Like 1

I said mid season that I actually think he’s more rounded than Aarons - he’s not quite as good offensively as Aarons but he gets caught out of position much less often and is a bit stronger, uses his body well and can defend.

He’s not going to walk into Liverpool’s first team any time soon but a very decent back up for cup games, occasional league games when starters are rested etc. Depends whether he’s happy to be a second choice or wants to play regular football - he’s got plenty of years ahead of him.

15 mil and I’d take it.

Edited by Aggy

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

Yes it certainly doesn’t ruin your career financially it’s just I thought the reason football players became football players was to play football? It certainly can ruin your career as a player though

41 minutes ago, paul moy said:

5 years at a conservative 40K a week is over £8 million. If his career ended the day after those 5 years and he never played again, i suspect he'd be able to struggle through to retirement significantly more comfortably than any of us will.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Well b back said:

The second sentence here is key. His career has been blighted by injuries and I see no reason to believe that he is suddenly going to remain fit for any extended period. Lewis is certainly worth far more than Byram in both financial and reiability terms.

The £10m is quoted as how Liverpool value him. I'm sure we value him higher and as another posted said we'll likely meet in the middle somewhere. Maybe £15m rising to £20m based on a few add ons.