Firstly, yes Bill, I know there's a transfer rumour thread but this one is pretty big and seems to be gathering momentum.

A lot of the national papers are reporting tonight that Lewis is in talks with Liverpool and has cut short his holiday in order to do so. The Pinkun has also picked up on the story.

Also, a few sources are claiming that Norwich are interested in yoing Liverpool left-back Yasser Larouci and he could come in part-exchange. I've heard of him but I've never seen him play and don't know if he's ready for Championship football yet.

The reported fee is around £10m, but that seems a little light to me unless there are plenty of add-ons or Larouci is coming.

As an aside, whilst Lewis would no doubt be an excellent player for us in the Championship, I don't think he's of the quality Liverpool would require for him to play regular games if Robertson gets injured. £10m seems a bit cheap, but £15m wouldn't be a bad deal considering we've got McCallum who is very highly-rated in his own right.

I’ve mentioned this in the “main” thread but happy to here as well😀!

It does seem that at £10m Lewis is comparatively undervalued when you consider the figures being bandied about for our other youngsters, who have all been talked about as £20m+.  The young Algerian lad Larouci that we are interested in could be promising, Brentford can pick a player and are also interested which is a good sign. 

There is no point  saying 15 mill would not be a bad deal when it is....because SW plainly said on the record...that all City's youngsters  have a starting price of 20 million minimum...Pool need to double their offer...even if its true...then that may at least  get Webber to think theyre serious about getting Jamal.

15 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’ve mentioned this in the “main” thread but happy to here as well😀!

Yeah, apologies for that, but when I clicked 'start new topic' there had been no mention of it...

For what it's worth, I don't think Lewis is quite as valuable as Aarons, Godfrey, Buendia or Cantwell. Those four would have a price of £25m, but Lewis isn't quite at that level for me and £15m wouldn't be far out. I wouldn't entertain an offer of £10m though.

All this speculation of our players in negotiations with these high profile clubs.....   to be in negotiations the clubs have to have agreed and presumably that includes a fee.    Clubs can’t just approach our contracted players..... there are rules.     

we don’t need to sell so the price has to be our call....   let them pay £30-40 mill or leave us alone!

Wouldnt sell

Godfrey for less than £40m

Buendia £50m

Aarons £35m

Lewis £20m

Cantwell £40m

Pukki £15m.   

Ridiculous prices but we don’t need to sell.   

OTBC

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Yeah, apologies for that, but when I clicked 'start new topic' there had been no mention of it...

For what it's worth, I don't think Lewis is quite as valuable as Aarons, Godfrey, Buendia or Cantwell. Those four would have a price of £25m, but Lewis isn't quite at that level for me and £15m wouldn't be far out. I wouldn't entertain an offer of £10m though.

It does seem odd, but we do seem to think this about Jamal...though that does seem slightly out of kilter if Liverpool, the new PL Champions, think he’s good enough for them (even if only as back up).  I’ve seen a number of comments from their fans going on about how great he is, but don’t suppose that many of them would actually know him from Adam.  

Out of all our young players I think he's the most limited. Great athlete and very tidy on the ball, but frankly a bang average defender with little attacking instinct. £10m does sound crazy cheap though. The only way I can make sense of it is if Larouci is included and maybe McCullem looks amazing in training and we regard him as just as good/better.

• Like 1

I can see him going to Liverpool but £10m would be outrageously cheap. Webber is on record saying “we don’t need to sell” and that the starting price for any of our young stars is £20m. Would not look good to go against those comments by selling Lewis cheaply. Liverpool have money, he’s on a long contract, make them shell out properly. They either want him and will pay the going rate, or they won’t and he stays.

Edited by Canary Wundaboy
  • Like 2

I don’t think we need to sell but I remember last time we came down and kept hold of a couple of players who supposedly had a few offers to stay in the Prem.

Their performances were sub-par and ultimately went in Jan. I don’t think we should stand in their way if they get offers from the likes of Liverpool but we should get a good deal. 

Liverpool seem to be quite savvy in the transfer market. Maybe we should remind them that they sold Jordan Ibe for 16 million and got 12 million for Danny Ward.

Lewis is worth 20 million, especially when we're selling to the European and Premier league champions.

I can't see Liverpool paying anywhere close to £20m for a reserve left back. They got Robertson for £8m a few years ago and Covid will affect values. 

Lewis can get up and down like Robertson, but he doesn't have the same attacking attributes and his final delivery isn't anywhere near as good. They both have a weakness where the ball is played inside them, as neither can use their right foot. 

But maybe this has legs. £10m, including a player swap and some add ons might not be such a terrible deal, with McCullum already in the building. 

Liverpool have been watching Jamal closely for over a year so their interest certainly isn’t new.

They also don’t want to spend much money this summer as they are worried about the effects of Covid on the economy and believe transfer values will plummet in the next year. This is why they pulled out of the Timo Werner deal and haven’t chased Sancho. 

£10m is low (and I’m sure Liverpool know it is) but they are going to use their considerable pulling power to try and unsettle Lewis. 

It probably isn’t worth paying too much attention though to the figure but it does seem this story is coming out of Liverpool (several writers all running with the story usually suggests it is a briefing from a club) and Liverpool will always quote a low figure as that just makes much more sense).  

Lewis always seemed very likely to be one of the players that left. Bringing in McCallum 6 months ago showed Norwich also considered it likely and let’s not forget that Lewis was also dropped out of the team for quite a while this season. 

Getting in another left back on a swap doesn’t seem likely to me. Unless Larouci is happy to sit on the bench at Norwich of course. 

McCallum is very injury prone unfortunately so covers if he has another spell on the bench? Webber has said £20m starting point so let's see were this one goes.....I personally think that was never gone to happen but just a starting salvo.... Hope he stays 

I can see the appeal of Jamal to Liverpool. They play such a high energy game they are looking for athletes. Robertson is running literally all game and doesn’t do anything to outrageous in terms of skill, he’s just always on the overlap. Can see them teaching that to Jamal and he’ll be in a team that can keep the ball better / doesn’t need to defend as much. 

So basically Liverpool want to trade in a player who they don't rate as highly as Lewis and give us only £10m? Er no.

We have McCallum, Byram an Heisse already as covee for that position. More dosh upfront please.

Add ons could be interesting here.

Homegrown player inflation doesnt seem to be added either.

But seems something may be there. It would be a great and perfect move for lewis to learn from the liverpool philosophy. Being back up would still get big exposure in cup competitions and always be in a group who could win silverware.

He would have time to acclimatise to the pressure that league winning teams have.

He will learn very quickly with high quality coaching and players around him. I believe he put in some very decent performances after the restart, he showed he is up for the fight and showed he can quickly adapt in games. Against watford at the start he struggled and then came into the game a bit.

When he first came into the side he looked a fantastic prospect and deserved his spot. He excelled in the championship title season and moving to liverpool would be exceptional for his development.

We will see.

• Like 2

£10 million would be a steal, we sold Alex Pritchard, ALEX PRITCHARD for a fee believed for be in excess of £11 million.

Don't know anything about Larouci, but if the cash swapping hands is £10 million, he'd need to be a player worth over £5 million for that to be a deal worth even contemplating.

Edited by canarydan23

Robertson missed only 2 league matches last season so Lewis can expect a lot of spare time should he go there. Possibly not a good move at all if he likes the matchday experience. That said I can't imagine he would turn the move down.

Having no need to sell this summer we’d never let him go for that price - Webber stated the starting price for any of our talent would  be £20m, as we also want to keep as many of our first choice players as possible. Lewis has about 1 1/2 years worth of Championship experience, and 1 years worth of PL experience.

Farke has also warned all of our “superstars” not to think that they are superstars yet - I mean is Lewis really better than Andy Robertson? If we did accept an offer from Liverpool for him (and we would never accept £10m) and he accepted a contract I think he would probably end up wrecking his career.

What price would people be happy with? 15 million would be good business for me. Remember he has been part of the problem defending set pieces. Often targeted by the opposition. Hopefully mccallum is ready to take his chance. 

24 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

£10 million would be a steal, we sold Alex Pritchard, ALEX PRITCHARD for a fee believed for be in excess of £11 million.

Don't know anything about Larouci, but if the cash swapping hands is £10 million, he'd need to be a player worth over £5 million for that to be a deal worth even contemplating.

That was pre COVID and times have changed. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

All this speculation of our players in negotiations with these high profile clubs.....   to be in negotiations the clubs have to have agreed and presumably that includes a fee.    Clubs can’t just approach our contracted players..... there are rules.     

we don’t need to sell so the price has to be our call....   let them pay £30-40 mill or leave us alone!

Wouldnt sell

Godfrey for less than £40m

Buendia £50m

Aarons £35m

Lewis £20m

Cantwell £40m

Pukki £15m.   

Ridiculous prices but we don’t need to sell.   

OTBC

I'm glad you clarified that the figures you quote are 'ridiculous' but no-one is going to pay anything like these amounts for said players!

I think more of us should be wishing Jamal well.
Most players can only dream about getting to the heights of Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd, then on to Barcelona and Real Madrid. This is his career made as if he never plays for Liverpool his next move will still be to another premier league club.

As a club this day was planned for already and for a lot of last season Jamal was our back up. Let’s face it many on here have slated our back four for 3 seasons based on that our back 4 should be worthless, yet other clubs seem to rate them. We can’t have it both ways, without Webber doing what he did with our academy and Farke playing and developing our kids we would probably never of heard of Jamal Lewis, Max Aaron’s, Ben Godfrey and Todd Cantwell, let alone Idah and Martin now coming through.

I am sure Webber will negotiate the best price possible, but we must also realise that Jamal himself will I am sure be pushing this move through. I think we also have to allow in our heads that the 3 players mentioned above plus Bundeia and maybe Pukki will look at this move and tell their agents if Jamal is good enough so am I. Let’s hope all the business is done quickly enough to enable us to be ready for our next challenge.

Good luck Jamal and thank you for the memories, I for one hope to see major trophies in your hands over the next few years.

• Like 1