Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Norwich a fortunate position compared to most

On 04/08/2020 at 18:54, Capt. Pants said:

Unfortunately I can see TV revenue being the only source of revenue for the foreseeable future and that essentially means the EPL as nobody is going to pay to watch the Championship.

I disagree on this point Cap.

I'd happily pay a reasonable sum each month to watch our games live each week, particularly if attendance isn't allowed at grounds (or is highly restricted for distancing etc), as the argument it would prevent ticket sales would be a moot point.

I've always maintained that fans who aren't relatively local to their club should have the option to pay to view games, with a fair share going to the club as part of a specific tv/streaming deal.

I stopped paying for Sky Sports as they only managed to show 5-6 games a season for us, which absolutely wasn't worth £20+ per month to not see us play, whereas I'd happily pay £15-20 a month just for access to watch our games in good quality, without buffering each week.

Like many fans who live a few hours away from the ground, it's not financially viable for me to attend home games (and I can only manage away games at places like Barnsley, Sheffield etc, and that's only if I can manage to get a ticket), so they aren't losing any income from me in terms of ticket sales, but they are losing potential income from what I'd pay to watch us each week.

If there was a sensible radius around a club (much like how they do in the US, but on a MUCH bigger scale), then local fans wouldn't be able to watch unless they had proven reasons (disabilities etc) and thus maintaining attendance and ticket sales, but also allowing more income from outside the area to contribute to the club in the process.

Complete Win-Win, especially in the current situation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I disagree on this point Cap.

I'd happily pay a reasonable sum each month to watch our games live each week, particularly if attendance isn't allowed at grounds (or is highly restricted for distancing etc), as the argument it would prevent ticket sales would be a moot point.

I've always maintained that fans who aren't relatively local to their club should have the option to pay to view games, with a fair share going to the club as part of a specific tv/streaming deal.

I stopped paying for Sky Sports as they only managed to show 5-6 games a season for us, which absolutely wasn't worth £20+ per month to not see us play, whereas I'd happily pay £15-20 a month just for access to watch our games in good quality, without buffering each week.

Like many fans who live a few hours away from the ground, it's not financially viable for me to attend home games (and I can only manage away games at places like Barnsley, Sheffield etc, and that's only if I can manage to get a ticket), so they aren't losing any income from me in terms of ticket sales, but they are losing potential income from what I'd pay to watch us each week.

If there was a sensible radius around a club (much like how they do in the US, but on a MUCH bigger scale), then local fans wouldn't be able to watch unless they had proven reasons (disabilities etc) and thus maintaining attendance and ticket sales, but also allowing more income from outside the area to contribute to the club in the process.

Complete Win-Win, especially in the current situation.

The ITV deal did not go well but COVID may change that until people get back into stadiums. The income for people watching us will be nowhere near the Premier league revenues.

3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

The ITV deal did not go well but COVID may change that until people get back into stadiums. The income for people watching us will be nowhere near the Premier league revenues.

Surely that depends on how any deal/service is structured though Kenny?

I don't disagree that we'll never see the sort of TV deals in the Champs you get in the PL, but as a pay-per-view, high quality tv/streaming service, I think you'll find far more takers than you might expect, and thus a possibly strong additional income stream for clubs at this level to help bolster their finances.

The ITV deal was a mess from beginning to end, and technology and interest are both far better now than it was then, so I don't think we should use that as a real yardstick to judge by.

A better version of iFollow is absolutely worth discussing at this point.

58 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Surely that depends on how any deal/service is structured though Kenny?

I don't disagree that we'll never see the sort of TV deals in the Champs you get in the PL, but as a pay-per-view, high quality tv/streaming service, I think you'll find far more takers than you might expect, and thus a possibly strong additional income stream for clubs at this level to help bolster their finances.

The ITV deal was a mess from beginning to end, and technology and interest are both far better now than it was then, so I don't think we should use that as a real yardstick to judge by.

A better version of iFollow is absolutely worth discussing at this point.

Absolutely it has to be worth looking at given the current climate.

On 04/08/2020 at 18:54, Capt. Pants said:

Exactly. We might even get promoted as last man standing.

The worry is the virus outlives the parachute payments and we suffer a slow lingering death just like the rest.

Unfortunately I can see TV revenue being the only source of revenue for the foreseeable future and that essentially means the EPL as nobody is going to pay to watch the Championship. Yes we are in a better state than some but it was the wrong season to be relegated.

If the outlook for the virus is as bleak as that then it could be argued that pay TV will also die a slow lingering death because of the huge economic downturn.........

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Absolutely it has to be worth looking at given the current climate.

ifollow was a great way for an exile to watch City in the Champs and pay a bit for the privilege, I'd happily pay a tenner a game for a quality HD stream , especially if the Club got a decent chunk of that. Needs sorting asap as the dodgy streams are getting better and better over time.....and I fear itll be quite a while before they allow 27,000 into Carrow rd again. 

• Like 1

The NFL has an option which works really well for them,  Gamepass - you pay £140 a year for access to all games, this money then goes directly to the league and is split between the teams, cutting out the middle man of TV companies. 

Games are stored on there, you can watch them later if you miss one etc, works really well.  

They have a caveat though where if a local game isnt sold out, then it is blacked out in the local area for 24 hours, so you cant watch it until the next day.   

Unless Im missing something, I cant see why clubs and leagues arent looking at this option, especially with Covid and likely no/reduced match day revenue. 

I think the biggest problem they'd face with that setup Haus is one of deciding exactly what classifies as 'local' in UK terms.

In the US they often cite being within 100 miles of the place as being local, yet for most of us here, that represents a significant journey and absolutely isn't local in any shape or form.

I'd argue that within 20-30 miles is local in UK terms, which would put our boundaries as far west as Swaffham/Thetford way and wouldn't even include Ipswich if so (is this a bonus or setback based on our geographic location?).

I certainly don't see travelling for over an hour as 'local', and just to get to Peterborough you're talking about nearly 2 hours which is around 80 miles away from Norwich (which would count in the US system), so sensible decisions would need making about exactly how far outside the radius is deemed reasonable.

On 04/08/2020 at 13:45, Kenny Foggo said:

Every successful business invests to improve, those that don't get left behind. That is a fact! Businesses with no cash flow do not improve.

You think ncfc have cashflow. What about the 30 million £ hole that covid has brought to this season. And behind closed doors in the championship will see that figure grow immensely. So will sky sports tv still be able to afford to pay for tv coverage with few punters taking up sky sports tv, which in turn will undoubtedly affect parachute payments. NCFC are as much in the doo dah as much as many other clubs in the premiership and EFL.

On 05/08/2020 at 23:04, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

If the outlook for the virus is as bleak as that then it could be argued that pay TV will also die a slow lingering death because of the huge economic downturn.........

I think the TV companies will have to re adjust how much they pay for football. Advertising revenues are significantly down. The football product on TV is not what it was with crowds. I may watch the odd free one but would not pay for it. many Pubs will not be able to afford the expensive subscriptions for football and other sports, even if they remain open their custom will be well down especially when the bad weather comes

• Like 1

Really interesting to hear views on televised football behind closed doors. Personally I think it has been dire but that may just be because we have been diabolical . Even the cup final was boring , and the other games , night after night , we re plain dull and not worth the fee. I’m out of sky contract in December and there is no way I’ll renew. I know several people thinking the same .  

Sky will have to do something . Viewing figures must be down - even Golf and Cricket is nowhere near as good to watch. This could have a massive long term affect on the funding of sport . 

If the charge for seeing the match televised was £15-£20 per month  then I probably won't be interested unless it gives me access to other matches too. I would again stress streaming services are free at the moment. I would therefore expect top quality HD uninterrupted coverage for that sort of money, which might be difficult to guarantee given the nature of the service. 

Also, how much would the club actually get from it and how much would go to the broadcaster? Will I have to keep paying for my ST on the assumption I might be allowed in the ground at some point?

Watching a game on TV is not like watching live imo.