We have to be careful when considering pay a lot of money for a player with two serious injuries.

And I don't remember Bennett getting too many plaudits while with us but has played with better sides than us. Not great with the ball at his feet from what I remember.

Age isn't a problem for a CB.

Our record for going for injury prone players isn't great. That being said Bennett's injuries seem to have been several years back, and sometimes a no nonsense defender is what you want

Mawson played some 20 games for Fulham.

The injury records just make me nervous!

Given that he was loaned to Leicester last season, it is quite possible that Wolves would loan him to us, if he is now deemed surplus to requirements.

35 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Hanley's 28. Doesn't feel like a Farke signing to me. Maybe, but only if Klose is leaving.

I stand corrected. I had it in my head he was 31.

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

Given that he was loaned to Leicester last season, it is quite possible that Wolves would loan him to us, if he is now deemed surplus to requirements.

I imagine they would prefer to sell.

11 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

what on earth is wrong with some of you lot out there!

Martin, Rhodes, Bennett, ..... have you no ambition!  

I don't think you can call into question the footballing ambition of the fans as anybody who can help reduce the goals in the against column should be considered. Now if you are talking about ambition in the boardroom that may well be a totally different matter.

16 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I imagine they would prefer to sell.

I'm sure that you're right, but I'm not sure that there would be too many buyers in the current financial climate unless a lower Premier League team fancy him?

44 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Our record for going for injury prone players isn't great. That being said Bennett's injuries seem to have been several years back, and sometimes a no nonsense defender is what you want

Mawson played some 20 games for Fulham.

The injury records just make me nervous!

Wouldn't be a Modern Farkeball Norwich linked player if he didn't have a horrendous injury record

But yeah to give him credit he is a proper, old fashioned brickhouse Brexit footballer

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Could do worse, but I’d hope we could do better. There was always a decent player in there and Wolves seemed to get the best out of him for a while.  They are now a top-ten PL side so it’s not a slight on Bennett that he might now be surplus to requirements there.

Would not say no to Benno when people say he is not a Farke type defender what do they mean ,he knows how to defend first and foremost our present defenders are not too clever in the art of defending.He also has played a fair few games for Wolves who like to pass the ball a bit.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Alfie Mawson - made the England full squad in March 2018 and was sold by Swansea to Fulham for £20m. If we could keep him fit it would be a great move...

I wonder how much Fulham are going to want ? 
if they do not go up they might as well keep him 

also a 20 million signing will be on far more than 20k a week ( our top earner Next season ) Unless he should sack his agent 
So I doubt he would take such a Drop in wages 
maybe loan for a season with transfer at end because of his injury? 

22 minutes ago, clever trevor said:

Would not say no to Benno when people say he is not a Farke type defender what do they mean ,he knows how to defend first and foremost our present defenders are not too clever in the art of defending.He also has played a fair few games for Wolves who like to pass the ball a bit.

He's not the fancy, pacy farkeball style player. He's a Brexit FC Shawcross-

Although admittedly that is the kind of player we need

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He's not the fancy, pacy farkeball style player. He's a Brexit FC Shawcross-

Although admittedly that is the kind of player we need

I think Bennett signing for us again would be a bit like our Michael Nelson signing in League 1. He would do a job for us but why would we sign someone who probably wouldn't make the step up if  we get promoted in a year? He isn't the kind of player we have seen playing CB under Farke. Yet, he is experienced, which has been alluded to by DF.

Perhaps it's just agent talk and rumour.

2 hours ago, TheGoogler said:

Surprised by this response.

Here's a player who on leaving us went to Wolves, achieving promotion in a side playing great football. He then played regularly for the same side, commonly considered an underrated part of it. He got a move to Leicester making five starts (admittedly, not many) in a side chasing European football.

I think there is a habit we might have our judgement clouded by the player he was. I think he's moved on and developed since then. 

He knows and loves the club. At 30 he would be younger than both Hanley and Klose. For me, Godfrey plays his best when alongside Zimmermann - if Zimbo could be a similarly influential partner for Bennett, it would be a fantastic move. 

Good points, but a key thing there is Wolves have, as far as I remember under Nuno, played with three centre-halves, whereas we've mainly played four at the back with two full-backs encouraged to push on a lot.

If we switch to three centre-halves, it would make much more sense.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Good points, but a key thing there is Wolves have, as far as I remember under Nuno, played with three centre-halves, whereas we've mainly played four at the back with two full-backs encouraged to push on a lot.

If we switch to three centre-halves, it would make much more sense.

A really good point. I remember Farke glowing about that Wolves side. Could he be looking to emulate them?

You guys are mad - He was excellent for wolves the season before last - he's a premier league defender - only looked poor at times at Leicester as they often played him on the edge of a back 3. Much better than Hanley and Klose IMO.

Shall we just go the whole bar-steward hog and sign Ruddy up as our back-up goalie again whilst we're at it? 😉

EDIT: Hmm. Still getting used to the censors on this forum. Didn't think that would trigger it... 

Edited by TheGunnShow

3 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

Wasn't good enough the first time around, still isn't good enough now, and a complete waste of wages if we brought him back IMHO.

Mawson was well regarded previously, but what damage have those injuries done (I'm sure a stringent medical will help with this)? I'd rather have him out of the two, but frankly I'd rather we looked elsewhere entirely tbh.

This

47 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I think Bennett signing for us again would be a bit like our Michael Nelson signing in League 1. He would do a job for us but why would we sign someone who probably wouldn't make the step up if  we get promoted in a year? 

We certainly don't regret signing Nelson though. If he gets us up, then we deal with the fact that he might not make the step up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Poor. If we sign him then this window will have been a complete failure. 

LOL.

And that's me done with you bunch of idiots. Goodbye.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheGoogler said:

Surprised by this response.

Here's a player who on leaving us went to Wolves, achieving promotion in a side playing great football. He then played regularly for the same side, commonly considered an underrated part of it. He got a move to Leicester making five starts (admittedly, not many) in a side chasing European football.

I think there is a habit we might have our judgement clouded by the player he was. I think he's moved on and developed since then. 

He knows and loves the club. At 30 he would be younger than both Hanley and Klose. For me, Godfrey plays his best when alongside Zimmermann - if Zimbo could be a similarly influential partner for Bennett, it would be a fantastic move. 

Yeah but what you forget is during The Great Russell Martin Wars of 2016/17 Bennett had to be painted as the worst defender known to man as people didn't want to admit they were wrong about Martin being shot.

Benno was a decent enough player for us, much  (and imo unfairly ) maligned on this board, I was pleased for him when he went on to be successful at Wolves. Depending on the make up of the rest of the squad I would be happy to see him back for a season in the Championship.

Edited by Van wink

1 hour ago, Making Plans said:

Voted POS by Wolves fans the season before last.

Tall, experienced and robust so ideal for the Chumps

We could do a lot worse

So was Bassong here in 2013.