This rumour is being quite well received on Facebook pages and has yet to receive a significant backlash that a lot of rumours receive.

Nope. He was prone to brain fades and might not even be that cheap in terms of wages. Experience of the Championship is not a bad thing, but not at all costs. He's basically a depreciating asset. Could be a short-term solution, but no more - and that's at best.

Considering the number of games NCFC went without an actual centre back available last season - i will happily take Bennett back... Bennett over Tettey at Centre Back EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK! 

• Like 2

In my mind Bennett would be a better bet than Mawson. He's a very good Championship player. Mawson has had 2 recent knee operations. No thanks 

Klose our, Bennet in, rebalance the overseas / home grown player numbers in the squad? It could be, also rumors that Chris Martin will come back haven’t been officially squashed yet either. So that’s positive news regarding the future of Drmic. 

Give Bennett instructions and not complicate it for him and he might be able to do a good job, but he doesn't strike me as being a Farke type of player.  Not Mawson, either. Would rather we tried somewhere else. 

28 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

This rumour is being quite well received on Facebook pages and has yet to receive a significant backlash that a lot of rumours receive.

Well, that doesn't even slightly surprise me.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Well, that doesn't even slightly surprise me.

Not sure what you mean by that....no backlash or that it is being quite well received ?

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not sure what you mean by that....no backlash or that it is being quite well received ?

It doesn't surprise me that it's being well received because every other signing has been criticised because "y is he not a defendur" 

• Like 2

Bennett is like a old Fashioned stopper 

Not a Farke type CB 

He can do a job and we needed someone like him last season 

Like Lakey said No nonsense Stopper / blocker then clear the ball  YES 

Pass it around at the back NO he has a mistake in him 

Wasn't good enough the first time around, still isn't good enough now, and a complete waste of wages if we brought him back IMHO.

Mawson was well regarded previously, but what damage have those injuries done (I'm sure a stringent medical will help with this)? I'd rather have him out of the two, but frankly I'd rather we looked elsewhere entirely tbh.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

He’s 30. Will only get worse not better - it’s a no from me 

Odd to think him like that, he’s still a young guy in my minds eye. We have lacked experience in the back four this season, injuries playing a part, Benno would certainly bring that now and a more uncompromising approach than we have demonstrated on occasions. As for changing our style, I can’t see that happening, if he does sign it will be accompanied by the cry “ don’t pass to Benno”

Surprised by this response.

Here's a player who on leaving us went to Wolves, achieving promotion in a side playing great football. He then played regularly for the same side, commonly considered an underrated part of it. He got a move to Leicester making five starts (admittedly, not many) in a side chasing European football.

I think there is a habit we might have our judgement clouded by the player he was. I think he's moved on and developed since then. 

He knows and loves the club. At 30 he would be younger than both Hanley and Klose. For me, Godfrey plays his best when alongside Zimmermann - if Zimbo could be a similarly influential partner for Bennett, it would be a fantastic move. 

Edited by TheGoogler
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I assume he was part of a back 3 for wolves when they got promoted. I can't see him working in a back 4 for us. As others have pointed out, extremely slow and his lack of passing is a big issue. 

If anyone saw how he played for Leicester post lockdown then they will have seen how poor he was, turned so easily on numerous occasions and then ousted from the team by a teenager. 

Big wages was why we got rid last time, I would really be surprised if we want back in for him again now. 

36 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Wasn't good enough the first time around, still isn't good enough now, and a complete waste of wages if we brought him back IMHO.

Mawson was well regarded previously, but what damage have those injuries done (I'm sure a stringent medical will help with this)? I'd rather have him out of the two, but frankly I'd rather we looked elsewhere entirely tbh.

Based on what's been said (assuming the search includes looking for a central defender) we are aiming for a proven Championship player with a bit of a physical presence. With the implication that this is to help get promotion next season so it might be a shortish-term deal. So only two years, say. Hence the possible interest in Bennett.

Otherwise it would be a question of buying a Championship player (or perhaps well-regarded League One player) in their prime as a longer-term asset, or gambling on a loan from a Premier League club, but probably that is the least likely option. I have no idea who is available but I suspect there are not so many who would fit the bill.

16 minutes ago, TheGoogler said:

Surprised by this response.

Here's a player who on leaving us went to Wolves, achieving promotion in a side playing great football. He then played regularly for the same side, commonly considered an underrated part of it. He got a move to Leicester making five starts (admittedly, not many) in a side chasing European football.

I think there is a habit we might have our judgement clouded by the player he was. I think he's moved on and developed since then. 

He knows and loves the club. At 30 he would be younger than both Hanley and Klose. For me, Godfrey plays his best when alongside Zimmermann - if Zimbo could be a similarly influential partner for Bennett, it would be a fantastic move. 

Hanley's 28. Doesn't feel like a Farke signing to me. Maybe, but only if Klose is leaving.

To fill in a place in the squad for a year, and a year only, we could certainly do worse.

I feel like after all the 'lessons learned' interviews we've seen recently, however, I highly doubt we'll funnel money into a CB the wrong side of 30 that can command a decent wage. Also very likely not to make the step up with us if and when that happens.

I think Klose will leave and Godfrey will be the main bankroller for our budget this summer, so we do need 2 IMO- but Ryan Bennett feels like the Yobo gambit rather than the sort of progressive purchase we look to make.

Edited by Mason 47
Yobo wasn't an Alex Neil signing??

Alfie Mawson - made the England full squad in March 2018 and was sold by Swansea to Fulham for £20m. If we could keep him fit it would be a great move...

Edited by Kenny Foggo