Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Godfrey in talks with Milan

Ben is like most of our players, in that in a team that is playing on the front foot he will look very good (see- every single player last year). When forced to defend a lot of our weaknesses are exposed.

Godfrey has a high value because he has attributes you can't really teach to natural centre-backs, and he's young enough that a big side might see him as a suitable investment to train in the art of defending.

You have to think of it as someone that inherited a top-of-the-line track day roadster, but lives in the middle of a city. It isn't going to be worth much to them, but it is potentially to someone that lives across the road from Snetterton.

I'll be more than happy to see a bidding war spring forth here.

14 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Ok. You are in Ben's shoes.. Take the business you work for then look for the AC Milan in your business, you have got to be happy they are looking at you to bring on board. 

I struggle to recall any English players moving to directly AC Milan. What a place to master your defensive skills, where defences are that, they defend. Good luck Ben, I hope you get the luck we would all need in our careers to pull this one off, big steps, dare and make it happen. You will have a few of us with a new Italian team to follow. Plus Milan is a hell of a place to enjoy life. 

On the Milan side, if true, clever move. If he rocks it, in 2 years, Man U will pay £80m. If he does not, he is still worth £20+m. 

Jimmy Greaves went to Milan, from Chelsea. Godfrey will need to be mentally tough enough to cope with a torrent of abuse if he misplaces a pass intended for Ibra, or even just passes to some other Milan attacker...

Joking aside....If Ben does go there and makes an effort to learn an acceptable level of Italian, he'll get a lot of praise, respect and positives from the Calcio media and Milan support....

Wherever Ben goes I do wish him well and that he performs with 'Forza!'....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kirku said:

Now we get to the rub of it.

HH44 would rather Godfrey belted the ball out of the ground than try to retain possession and would've replaced one of our most potentially profitable players at the start of the season.

And yet he still wonders why other posters are questioning the logic. Classic.

Option A: Under pressure, clear the ball into touch allowing the rest of the team to regroup and defend.

Option B: Under pressure, attempt to retain position but fail, allowing the opposition to score.

There is a time and place for Option A.

4 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Option A: Under pressure, clear the ball into touch allowing the rest of the team to regroup and defend.

Option B: Under pressure, attempt to retain position but fail, allowing the opposition to score.

Modern teams are built on repeatable habits. If you indulge in A, you break the habit of retaining possession. Farke and Webber are trying to build a modern team.

22 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Selling Godfrey for a decent whack will be the best bit of business we ever do. So overrated its unreal. Hope he’s one we out instead of some of the others. 

positonally poor, actually quite lightweight I don’t believe he’ll ever make the grade. 

Godfrey is a class act . I can’t believe I have bitten here but what the heck. 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

Personally think Godfrey will move on and prove how good he is. 

Dont get me wrong hes made mistakes and is still raw but put him with the right coach, next to another experienced centre half and he will flourish. Playing in a side where he isnt under pressure to be starting every single match if hes going through a iffy patch.

Has all the attributes, speed, power, leader, passing range to be a top centre half. 

• Like 3

I think it's insane we've got actual fans thinking selling Godfrey for 20 million is a great deal.

At what point he has had a top class, experienced defensive partner next to him for any length of time to learn from?

He has all the attributes of a modern day, ball playing central defender, the comparisons with Rio Ferdinand are for more than just having him as his agent, and it's blindingly obvious that a number of very good sides are genuinely interested in him, but apparently he's not good enough for us...

I'd argue that in many ways, we're not good enough for him, as we've never given him a top quality partner in the heart of the defence, combined with weak support from the midfield and fullbacks who can often be caught having to rely on their pace to even get back on a counter.

Given the right support and better coverage from team mates, Godfrey could easily develop into a regular in the England back line, and play for any of the top 6-8 clubs in not just the Prem, but across Europe as well, but hey, let's rush him out the door and hope that Ryan Bennett will prove to be a stronger option....

Pure madness.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, kirku said:

Now we get to the rub of it.

HH44 would rather Godfrey belted the ball out of the ground than try to retain possession and would've replaced one of our most potentially profitable players at the start of the season.

And yet he still wonders why other posters are questioning the logic. Classic.

God your right. Why would I question the guy who played the most at CB in the worst defence we’ve ever had. But that’s because he didn’t have the right person next to him. So as long as he has a world class CB next to him he’ll be all right. 

nothing to do with that guy just bolstering the defence no it Godfrey. So he’s now 22 but as long as he has a great CB with him he’s your man. Right.  **

I’d be very disappointed if he left because for me he is the one most likely to get to top six level. He has pace, strength and stamina can drive forward, has a rocket of a shot and has a great long pass.

I think it would be disingenuous to claim he’s had a great season as, to be honest, it’s not been easy for anyone to shine for us this year. However I firmly believe he has obvious potential to become top class which is why he is so sought after.

Unfortunately I can’t see us holding on to him at Championship level so it will be about getting the best deal we can. £20m is well on the low side for me considering what that gets you now.

Edited by Hairy Canary
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Option C - strawman

Edited by kirku

well strictly speaking the op has misread a rumour  his  agent is talking to milan

Godfrey would be breaking some rules if he was

while I do really rate him someone needs to go to move the team on and as long as its not to  SPURS will will leak our interest 500 times a week I dont mind which one of  Gods/Cant/Arrons goes  as long as the money is used well