Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

Godfrey in talks with Milan

Selling Godfrey for a decent whack will be the best bit of business we ever do. So overrated its unreal. Hope he’s one we out instead of some of the others. 

positonally poor, actually quite lightweight I don’t believe he’ll ever make the grade. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

oh dear, there's a thread that is already talking about this

cunningly call transfer rumours

(which I am sure you already knew)

7 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Selling Godfrey for a decent whack will be the best bit of business we ever do. So overrated its unreal. Hope he’s one we out instead of some of the others. 

positonally poor, actually quite lightweight I don’t believe he’ll ever make the grade. 

I dare you to call him lightweight to his face 😂

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I dare you to call him lightweight to his face 😂

a troll - best ignore

One to keep I hope. He was thrown in the deep end this season. Due to injuries to other he's had no settled partnership, the older heads that he could learn from have been out, out of form or out of position. If we can keep him and keep him alongside Zimbo etc for many games I think he'll turn into a great player. Don't judge him on last season.

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

One to keep I hope. He was thrown in the deep end this season. Due to injuries to other he's had no settled partnership, the older heads that he could learn from have been out, out of form or out of position. If we can keep him and keep him alongside Zimbo etc for many games I think he'll turn into a great player. Don't judge him on last season.

Indeed, looked much stronger and confident alongside zimbo

22 minutes ago, Bill said:

oh dear, there's a thread that is already talking about this

cunningly call transfer rumours

(which I am sure you already knew)

No but coming from somebody who’s had enough time to post over 30k time it’s a bit rich you complaining

Why do people feel the need to start new threads on stuff already being discussed 

is it an attention seeking Disorder or inclusion issues 

• Like 1

Utterly wrong assessment of Godfrey, He’s strong, confident on the ball, has pace and will be a superb CB, if only he had a decent CB alongside him. Zimbo has been our best of a questionable set of partners, Klose injured or always coming back from injury, same with Hanley, Tettey or Amadou standing in, its little wonder he’s been in a back four which has conceded so many when there’s been so many changes all the time.

I’d say he’s key player to keep and shed Hanley and Klose and get a decent young CB who’s not injury prone to build on next year.

We’ve ready made replacements for Aaron’s and Lewis, much rather cash in on them Hanley and Klose and buy a couple better CB.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Then you differ to the football World and anyone with eyes and a functioning brain. 

• Like 1

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to have a separate discussion for things like this - the all-encompassing thing is all well and good but covers too broad a subject.  
And of course, if you don’t like this thread don’t post in it. 

19 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

if he leaves money needs to be spent on a quality central defender.

We need quality defenders regardless of Godfrey leaving -- Have done for approximately five seasons.

Tangential topic. but I'd be wondering if Farke's thinking Famewo can make the leap and is going to give him a chance in pre-season. Agree that Godfrey's suffered from not having a settled partner alongside him, but also suffered from the defensive midfield not being up to it either.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to have a separate discussion for things like this - the all-encompassing thing is all well and good but covers too broad a subject.  
And of course, if you don’t like this thread don’t post in it. 

shhh, you'll upset the forum police with that one

31 minutes ago, Indy said:

Utterly wrong assessment of Godfrey, He’s strong, confident on the ball, has pace and will be a superb CB, if only he had a decent CB alongside him. Zimbo has been our best of a questionable set of partners, Klose injured or always coming back from injury, same with Hanley, Tettey or Amadou standing in, its little wonder he’s been in a back four which has conceded so many when there’s been so many changes all the time.

I’d say he’s key player to keep and shed Hanley and Klose and get a decent young CB who’s not injury prone to build on next year.

We’ve ready made replacements for Aaron’s and Lewis, much rather cash in on them Hanley and Klose and buy a couple better CB.

Exactly Right ! i think he has to move to get a Very Good CB to play with to learn from and improve 

i am a little Surprised Italian clubs are most after him 

But who would turn down Roma or AC milan  

i still think and have heard Man Utd are keen , probably  waiting for others to make their moves Homegrown youngsters as good as been are hard to get

15 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Tangential topic. but I'd be wondering if Farke's thinking Famewo can make the leap and is going to give him a chance in pre-season. Agree that Godfrey's suffered from not having a settled partner alongside him, but also suffered from the defensive midfield not being up to it either.

But that midfield has been sorted in the signings made so far, so hopefully this might make us a little more solid next year.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

But that midfield has been sorted in the signings made so far, so hopefully this might make us a little more solid next year.

In theory I agree, but it might take a few games for it to gel sufficiently. Time will tell. We are short of pace and physicality in that area, so let's see if Sorensen and Sitti provide it. I would not be completely surprised if Rupp drops there on occasion as well.

EDIT: In fact, although it's unlikely, I think it would be best if Godfrey was the middle one of a back three.

Edited by TheGunnShow

49 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

if he leaves money needs to be spent on a quality central defender.

Even if he doesn’t Til, we need to spend on a quality fit central defender, Klose and Hanley obviously can’t play more than a handful of games before needing the treatment table! 

• Like 1

To be honest £25m plus would be a good deal for us in my view. 

He's obviously got a lot of talent, all the right physical attributes along with the passing and dribbling ability. He is the perfect modern day CB for a big team. He is still very young and defenders tend to come into their prime closer to 30. He has the potential to be a £60m plus player in a few years. 

However, he is definitely replaceable at this current time, still has a lot of issues in his game and needs more experience playing against the best players. Two quality championship defenders could probably be brought in for 10 to 15m. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hardhouse44 said:

No but coming from somebody who’s had enough time to post over 30k time it’s a bit rich you complaining

but still no argument for a new thread,

the idea was to avoid having a thread for every rumour posted

which I'm sure you are well aware of

pointing that out is not 'complaining'

3 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

He's obviously got a lot of talent, all the right physical attributes along with the passing and dribbling ability. He is the perfect modern day CB for a big team. He is still very young and defenders tend to come into their prime closer to 30. He has the potential to be a £60m plus player in a few years. 

However, he is definitely replaceable at this current time, still has a lot of issues in his game and needs more experience playing against the best players. Two quality championship defenders could probably be brought in for 10 to 15m. 

i agree

The hardest thing is the CB 's we Bring in Must be able to make the step up to EPL if we go up 

otherwise we ill have to buy again next season easier said than done 

32 minutes ago, Indy said:

Even if he doesn’t Til, we need to spend on a quality fit central defender, Klose and Hanley obviously can’t play more than a handful of games before needing the treatment table! 

You can’t possibly know who will and who won’t get injured, though. We could sign the best cb we can afford, with an exemplary injury record, but see him do his cruciate on debut and have him out for a year.  Obviously, in our circumstances signing players with a long injury history makes little sense (and is why we were all concerned when we bought Byram), but the chances are experienced centre backs will come having had the odd spell out; you do need a bit of good fortune.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bill said:

Let it go....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

You can’t possibly know who will and who won’t get injured, though. We could sign the best cb we can afford, with an exemplary injury record, but see him do his cruciate on debut and have him out for a year.  Obviously, in our circumstances signing players with a long injury history makes little sense (and is why we were all concerned when we bought Byram), but the chances are experienced centre backs will come having had the odd spell out; you do need a bit of good fortune.

That’s true yet Klose and Hanley have both been out for long time in two seasons, in fact I’m sure they’ve been injured more than available since both signed, considering the wages they get paid its very expensive. Godfrey has been pretty injury free.

So you’re right that we don’t know but we can’t rely on Hanley or Klose staying fit!

30 minutes ago, Bill said:

Why does it bother you so much really more important things happening in the world other than committing a crime stating a new thread 😀

I also think that Godfrey is over rated, and ideally we'll be signing a defender who is strong in the air. 

People seem to rate him as the new Rio, looks more like the new Anton. 

Getting £20m+ for this player would be fantastic business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I''m so confused .... I just don't know who's judgement to trust?   Hardhouse44 or AC Milan?  Hardhouse44 or AC Milan?

I'm torn. Torn I tell you!  

Hardhouse44 or AC Milan? God it's such a difficult decision!!

• Haha 4

39 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

I couldn't agree more.

I was holding out on posting this as didn't want to come across as negative or critical towards Godfrey, but I too feel that at this moment in time Godfrey's value is based on potential that he may never fulfil, so to get £25m for him now is a good deal. He clearly has the speed and technical skill of a modern centre back but he doesn't have the positioning and defensive instinct yet and if he doesn't develop those soon then he'll never be a top/good Premier League defender.

Looking at our five young prospects, I'm confident that Aarons and Buendia will have good careers at the top level, but Godfrey and Lewis still have more attributes to improve on and I'm less convinced they'll 'make it'. Cantwell could go either way.