Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Sheffield Wednesday docked 12 points

Recommended Posts

For the 2020/21 season.

http://www.skysports.com/share/12040150

Luckily for them it has been applied for next season, as they would've finished bottom had it taken effect for this season's table.

At least it's good news for us though, as I doubt they'll have any real chance of troubling the top six with this deduction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting about the effect that this might have on others that have sold their ground - e.g. Derby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Could the same fate happen to Derby County ?

I'd have thought so - didn't they sell their ground for a lot more than Villa park?

 

Just checked £80 million!

Edited by Badger
Updated information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Derby and lets not forget QPR who have tried to kick it into the long grass... Bournemouth should have it coming to them too and its waiting on Brighton and Wolves when they drop...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wigan’s deduction is this season as it is due to them declaring themselves in administration. The rules for that say it is an immediate 12 point deduction if it results in relegation, but it is deferred to the next season if it does not result in relegation. This is because clubs can choose when to declare themselves in administration and works as a deterrent to clubs who are safely in mid table declaring it knowing the points deduction will have no impact on them that season. 

FFP is set to be a 12 point deduction the following season if the ruling comes late in the current season. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What Bethnal said👍.  Different ‘breaches’ have different applications - administration was seen as an easy option at one time (eg binners) if a side is safe so had to have some teeth and can be applied either season.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Wigan’s deduction is this season as it is due to them declaring themselves in administration. The rules for that say it is an immediate 12 point deduction if it results in relegation, but it is deferred to the next season if it does not result in relegation. This is because clubs can choose when to declare themselves in administration and works as a deterrent to clubs who are safely in mid table declaring it knowing the points deduction will have no impact on them that season. 

FFP is set to be a 12 point deduction the following season if the ruling comes late in the current season. 

That explains it. I knew about the administration rule, but didn't know about the FFP one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canary73 said:

Derby and lets not forget QPR who have tried to kick it into the long grass... Bournemouth should have it coming to them too and its waiting on Brighton and Wolves when they drop...

Unless there has been a recent breach QPR got hit with a £42m penalty two years ago for that long-delayed case. I think there was some doubt about how much it really cost them, but it was substantial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Wigan’s deduction is this season as it is due to them declaring themselves in administration. The rules for that say it is an immediate 12 point deduction if it results in relegation, but it is deferred to the next season if it does not result in relegation. This is because clubs can choose when to declare themselves in administration and works as a deterrent to clubs who are safely in mid table declaring it knowing the points deduction will have no impact on them that season. 

FFP is set to be a 12 point deduction the following season if the ruling comes late in the current season. 

Ah, that makes sense then. Cheers for the clarification 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canary73 said:

Derby and lets not forget QPR who have tried to kick it into the long grass... Bournemouth should have it coming to them too and its waiting on Brighton and Wolves when they drop...

QPR have paid up now I believe, so have Bournemouth (an initial £8m fine, but it was reduced to £4m on appeal). Brighton were found to have been compliant with the EFL's FFP rules, as I think Wolves were - but that might still be an open investigation - it is hard to keep up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It was, could be a few days before the verdict is decided though.

I understand Barnsley were represented at the hearing. That seemed a bit odd to me. Perhaps just as observers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another example of a poor foreign owner, again it’s the stinking rich Chinese owner that will prove to be the best type of owner 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet Villa get away with it as they are in the EPL instead of the EFL. At least they know their fate now once relegated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

who gets those deducted points ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would happen if leeds went into administration then. 12 point deducted next time they are in the football league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Pi$$ poor decisions, feel for Wigan. 

It is the EFL following their own rules. Nothing ‘poor’ about it.

If Wigan didn’t want a 12 point deduction they shouldn’t have gone into administration. Don’t let the strange circumstances of their ownership cover up the fact their wage budget 167% of their turnover. 
 

6 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

What would happen if leeds went into administration then. 12 point deducted next time they are in the football league?

Premier League teams get a 9 point points deduction if they go into administration (well, that is the amount Portsmouth got in 2010, not sure if it has gone up since). 

 

8 hours ago, Well b back said:

Yet Villa get away with it as they are in the EPL instead of the EFL. At least they know their fate now once relegated. 

Villa FFP investigation was concluded earlier this year and they were found to be compliant with the rules so no punishment will he handed out to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It is the EFL following their own rules. Nothing ‘poor’ about it.

If Wigan didn’t want a 12 point deduction they shouldn’t have gone into administration. Don’t let the strange circumstances of their ownership cover up the fact their wage budget 167% of their turnover. 
 

Premier League teams get a 9 point points deduction if they go into administration (well, that is the amount Portsmouth got in 2010, not sure if it has gone up since). 

 

Villa FFP investigation was concluded earlier this year and they were found to be compliant with the rules so no punishment will he handed out to them. 

Do the rules actually say the points deduction is next season Bethnal? I can seem to find the relevant rule. I ask because you say in your post above that the rule is “set to” say next season which implies it’s possibly a proposed rule? The breach was actually in 2018 as I understand it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Do the rules actually say the points deduction is next season Bethnal? I can seem to find the relevant rule. I ask because you say in your post above that the rule is “set to” say next season which implies it’s possibly a proposed rule? The breach was actually in 2018 as I understand it? 

If the ruling is after the 4th Thursday in March the points deduction is deferred to the following season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...